Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 02:05 PM

8 posts, read 17,038 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I will be moving to Appleton, Wisconsin next month. The reason for us moving was because, he recently got a very good job but at the time I will not have a job as soon as possible but I am looking. We are both from California and we have never been to another state. I've heard that the people are really nice, theres tons of parks, its cold and very unexpensive. I just wanted to see if anyone had any tips, could tell me more about the city, and if its easy to get a job right away. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 03:12 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,048,806 times
You will enjoy summer if you get there in time for it. It is the nicest two weeks of the year.

Seriously, the area is very nice and WI offers a great environment if you like any outdoor activities. There are great state parks, Lake Michigan, and natural beauty. Winters can be brutal but also have a beauty of their own.

What type of career are you looking for and how far are you willing to drive/commute? Appleton is the larger community in the Fox Valley but there are options in Neenah, Oshkosh, or up toward Waupaca if you don't mind a bit of a drive.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
You will enjoy summer if you get there in time for it. It is the nicest two weeks of the year.

Seriously, the area is very nice and WI offers a great environment if you like any outdoor activities. There are great state parks, Lake Michigan, and natural beauty. Winters can be brutal but also have a beauty of their own.

What type of career are you looking for and how far are you willing to drive/commute? Appleton is the larger community in the Fox Valley but there are options in Neenah, Oshkosh, or up toward Waupaca if you don't mind a bit of a drive.

Thank You, Rynldsbr for your comment, its very helpful. I've never experienced a real winter. I am a bit excited to see how that goes.

The career that I am looking for is something working with teenagers and with the criminal justice system, but I have tons of experience in customer service. Most likely, I will be looking for something towards customer service. I am the kind of person that enjoys working and I am very eager to work once I get there!!

Old 07-24-2015, 08:39 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,889,700 times
You probably will get a better employment in criminal justice system...

Winters are fun, just dress appropriately. Try cross-country skying, snowmobiles, or just plain walk through the park, don't hide from Pater Frost indoors all the time, that's how you get winter depression and burnout.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
You probably will get a better employment in criminal justice system...

Winters are fun, just dress appropriately. Try cross-country skying, snowmobiles, or just plain walk through the park, don't hide from Pater Frost indoors all the time, that's how you get winter depression and burnout.
Thank You, Brrabbit for your comment. I will definetely look for employment in criminal justice system.

I am looking forwards to having my first real winter. I am the kind of person that enjoys outdoors and doing new stuff. I will for sure try cross-country skying, snowmobiles, throw snow balls, and much more.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:37 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,786,894 times
Wear layers in the winter. Thermal undies come in handy if you're outdoors for a longer period of time. Good boots are essential, too. Don't go for the "cute" styles. Get some utilitarian ones, trust me.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:44 AM

Default Thank You

I will most definitely look into it. I would want to stay warm for winter.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,347 times
I am also I'm from California. Southern California near Ontario. I have been in Wisconsin since last August 2014
.. I first csme to a small town in Central Wisconsin called Wautoma, and am now in Grafton, about 15 minutes north of Milwaukee..I have found Wiscondin in general to be a very slow paced lifestyle. It seems very appropriate for homebodies or people with families. There really isn't much to do, except for the many festivals that they have throughout the state during summet, but as far as just picking up and going somewhere, being a very spontaneous person myself, I find that there isn't much to do I have also found that the people pretty much keep to themselves and that you meet people mostly thru other people that you know. People are not as friendly as they are in California. I did get a job very quickly once I started looking. I am a caregiver for a man with MS. the aging population in Wisconsin is very high and there are many many jobs for caregivers... Though I find this type of work to be very isolating. I do feel that I have given Wisconsin fair shot, as I promised my cousin I would before he died, which is why I came here to begin with... to visit and then to take care of him. I will be leaving Wisconsin at the end of September 2015 and going somewhere that will be more conducive to my spontaneous personality... I am considering Las Vegas or moving back to the Los Angeles area. I wish you lots of luck in your new life in Wisconsin I hope that you find it friendlier and a much more exciting place then I have found it to be....as for the beauty of winter it truly is a winter wonderland I took so many beautiful pictures throughout the fall winter and spring. It is now summer and wild flowers are blooming everywhere....I especially love the fireflies at night.....it is beautiful to see all the barns and farms... the fields of wheat, and the rows of corn. if you are in love and looking to settle down and raise a family...Wisconsin may just be the place for you....Best of luck to the two of you.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:04 PM

2 posts, read 6,347 times
P.S. winter was harsh...and going somewhere in the cold snow is hard because you have to plan things out so much better and give yourself extra time to get dressed appropriately..get the ice off the windsheild, snow off the car. And the car warmed up before you go...even if you just need to make a five minute run to the store, and still have to shovel the driveway just to get out....

Old 07-29-2015, 08:28 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,889,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALI75 View Post
P.S. winter was harsh...and going somewhere in the cold snow is hard because you have to plan things out so much better and give yourself extra time to get dressed appropriately..get the ice off the windsheild, snow off the car. And the car warmed up before you go...even if you just need to make a five minute run to the store, and still have to shovel the driveway just to get out....
You have can start the car early and let it idle for 10-15 minutes.

Or you can do it the way you describe, but you don't really need to "warm it up". Just start it, and start driving, just don't accelerate too aggressively before it warms up.

Shoveling is a chore, but only if you're a homeowner. Renters usually don't have to do it, their landlord does it for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin