Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 06:14 PM

19 posts, read 147,054 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some basic info on Elkhorn, what's the average rental prices, good parts of town (are there bad parts?),etc.....Is it a nice family oriented place? What's the most fun you can have in Elkhorn & what's close? Are there good colleges nearby? Also are there any problems such as gangs/ drugs,etc.? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 09:01 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,442,690 times
I lived in Elkhorn for 17yrs (1990-2007) The range of rentals will be $500 1bed - $1000 3bed. It is very family friendly - it was known as the "Christmas Card Town". Elkhorn is the county seat. The County Fair is quite a buzz, (ranked top 10 in the USA), BIG name preformers, schools are off during that week, no alcohol, 3 event demo derby, "small stage" entertainers, large rides & small kids area rides, 4h contests. Elkhorn is very proud of it.

Elkhorn has @ 1.5 hr Christmas parade, normally 100+ enteries (TV sations personalities, Bucks masscot ect. appear to name a few)

Elkhorn is 40 miles from Milwaukee, 26 miles from Janesville, 60 miles from Madison.
It is a bedroom community for the most part.

Being the county seat...you'll have no "gangs" unless you consider lawyers a gang! There is the local police and the county sheriff office in town.

Schools----- UW Whitewater - 18 miles north, in town - Gateway Tech, 2 private christian pre k - 8 (Lutheran & Catholic) all public schools (high school has a new indoor pool)

There are band concerts in summer, put on by the Holton Band company, in the band shell by the outdoor public pool, summer softball rec league for boys and girls.
No matter where we live, Elkhorn will be always considered "home".

If you want more info, please ask..... contact names (I owned a construction business for 17yrs in elkhorn)....
P.S. I live in AZ now, miss Elkhorn.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:11 AM

Wow, thanks for the info...sounds like a really nice place. I was checking out some of your posts, & noticed that you replied to a thread on Fond Du Lac, with some really bad experiences in a small town...the part about the # of sex offenders was disturbing, so I have to ask, was that Elkhorn? I've also been offered a place to rent from a friend in Tucson Az. but I'm hesitant after reading so many threads that say it's high crime, too hot, no jobs, etc. The appeal to me is the cost of living is so much better than where we are now, & the scenery is supposed to be breathtaking. Any thoughts on a major move to Az.?

Old 01-30-2008, 03:37 PM

Yes it was Elkhorn. It sounds a little contradictory, but most of the sex offenders are considered "low risk" to the public. Besides the citizenry has made it well known to the police and elected officals that this is a priority to watch. Unfortunatly, this problem is everywhere in the US.

The weather in summer is hot. The views are great, Tucson is surrounded by 6 mountain ranges .... each starting with these letters C H R I S T

There is a high crime area, but in mostly 1area. Tucson is basicly in 4 area's. The northwest area is newer with reasonable housing prices.

Jobs? Phx is #1 for jobs in AZ, Tucson #2. Try using jobing.com.....it is the largest site that business use down here, or azstatejobs.gov if you're looking for a goverment job. Currently the job situation has improved with the new immigration laws that took place Jan 1.

With kids in school, if it were not for health reasons, I would have stayed in WI. It is a different culture here (not meaning in a bad way). I'm not a "desert rat" as its refered to here. WI school system have higher standards for teachers than AZ, but a major difference here is the mandatory teaching of the US constitution and US history (refreshing!) Some charter schools biggest focus is that. Speaking of charters --- that is something different to get use to. If you have children in school, some charters are better than any public school in WI----- most have waiting lists to get in. Here, public system doesn't see charter schools as a threat, but as a true partner!

If health isn't a factor or job (like mine was), I would have stayed in WI until I could have afforded to be a snow bird. (even though I do not miss the -35 wind chills, driving on ice, shoveling ect.). Water is the biggest concern (lack of it). Lake Mead is aprox. down 70'....the unoffical count for the "drought" is something like 12 years.... If you know of a job in Elkhorn area or Appleton, you could sway me to return (I really mean that!)

Old 01-31-2008, 10:45 AM

I've heard a lot of good things about Madison as far as jobs, great opportunities, etc. It seems it's not that far from Elkhorn, so if you're already familiar w/ Wisconsin, maybe that's a good move. I don't want to move out to Az. & find it's even harder than where we're at now, but I hate to pass up a great offer....anyway, any thoughts/ experience w/ Madison?

Old 01-31-2008, 02:03 PM

having a brother live there @35yrs, I would say that if you have the same professional type job in Milwaukee and in Madison, There would be higher pay in Madison----but the housing cost is more also.
Madison has the nickname of Madcity. The talk radio station 1130 personalities would say "the peoples republic of Madison". Is considered the most liberal city in USA, maybe #2 behind Frisco. UW Madison has been considered #1 party college for who knows how many years.

according to 2006 FBI crime statistics
(available @ areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm)

Madison and Phoenix Comparative Crime Ratios per 100,000 People

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

____________Madison,WI______Phoenix, AZ___National
Murder:------------1.8---------15.4-----------7
Forcible Rape: ----28.78--------36.25--------32.2
Robbery:---------195.2-------287.5---------205.8
Aggrv Assault:--- 211.8-------398.5---------336.5
Burglary:---------728.1------1064.3---------813.2
Larceny Theft:--2430.2------3282.6--------2601.7
Vehicle Theft:---213.6-------1587.5---------501.5

Keep in mind its the #1 party college city

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2008 at 06:42 AM..

Old 01-31-2008, 04:06 PM

Well it's obvious with the stats Phoenix is much more dangerous, but what's wrong w/ Madison? I don't mind a liberal place, actually it's more interesting..is Madison considered as safe as Elkhorn?

Old 01-31-2008, 06:33 PM

comparison between the two:

Actual Reported Population and Crimes: 2006

----------------Elkhorn, WI------------Madison, WI
Population:-------9,054-------------------222,364
Murder:--------------0--------------------------4
Forcible Rape:--------0-------------------------64
Robbery:-------------0------------------------434
Aggravated Assault:--3------------------------471
Burglary:------------31-----------------------1619
Larceny Theft:-----246-----------------------5404
Vehicle Theft:--------6------------------------475

I think that for a population base of 200,000 Madison is safe, safe as Elkhorn, smaller towns in general are "safer"

Madison has some 2 very large lakes, very nice. There are surrounding towns are just as family friendly as Elkhorn.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:56 AM

Sounds like a trip to both places is necessary, I can't wait. We're also going to try to check out Az. this summer, but I've never been out that way before. I'm wondering about all the negatives I've heard about Az.such as the scorpions, rattlesnakes, monsoon season, etc. I've talked to a few people who've successfully made the move to Az. & they love it- it's laid back, friendly & much more relaxed than where we are now..any contrast you've noticed between Az. & the midwest as far as the general way people treat each other?

Old 02-01-2008, 09:14 AM

People are going to be people...... you'll have the rude with the pleasant. Yes, its more laid back, (sometimes too much) than Mid-west in general. Because of the large retirement population, no drivers-ed here and illegals, it can be safe to say that driving is more challenging in AZ. (which explains why AZ has one of the highest auto premiums in the US.)

I do know that having more sunshine (or lack of as is the case in WI) will have a impact on peoples demeanor. Folks here tend to smile more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin