Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 5,081 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I was offered a relocation package by my job to relocate to the Kohler Sheboygan area. I know nothing about Wisconsin and have spent the last week researching housing, and cost of living and quality of life. I came across several articles stressing the rampant racism in Wisconsin eventhough some sites don't rank it in the top 10. I am an African American male in an interracial marriage I take these articles seriously especially going into uncharted territory.

I am relocating from Florida which is in the top 10. Racism here is pretty bad and agree that Florida belongs in the top 10, but I know the areas to avoid since I've lived here all my life. I know absolutely nothing about Wisconsin.

I guess I am looking for some 1st hand accounts from people's experience living in Wisconsin preferably close to the Kohler Sheboygan area. From any race I just want to know the truth. They want me to make a decision next week so I want to be as educated as possible.

What are some middle to upper middle class areas that I should look into and or stay away from?

Thanks for your help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 06:15 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,785,882 times
Hi Msterr,

I really and truly do not think you'll encounter racism in Kohler. It's a nice area... very "upscale," for lack of a better word. Kohler doesn't have a lot of area... it's small. There's the Shops at Woodlake in Kohler; some nice restaurants; a spa. You might want to look into Sheboygan, Sheboygan Falls, Elkhart Lake, and Howards Grove for residences. It's a very lovely area, in my opinion. There are a lot of nice places in Sheboygan. And Lake Michigan is there, which is very pretty. There's Road America in Elkhart Lake, the Kohler Art Center in Sheboygan.

Maybe there's more blatant racism in Milwaukee, I don't know. There are some "redneck" people, but they're usually just laughable in their ignorance. I really and truly don't think that you have to worry. Best of luck to you with your decision! I hope it all works out well for you and your family.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:51 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
There's plenty of brothers in Sheboygan, I was surprised myself as we went up there found a nightclub and it was all black and we were the only white dudes in there but we're from Milwaukee so it didn't matter to us besides where else in Sheboygan are you going to find a bar that will play Wu-Tang at request. I forgot the name of the place but it was a cool spot, plus the people up in Sheboygan are really friendly. A little standoff-ish but after a few drinks everyone acts like they've known you for a hundred years. I really like the town of Kohler a lot also check out sheboygan falls or even Plymouth or a little further out Elkhart Lake.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:45 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,042 times
Sheboygan is pretty white-break hick, but it's improving rapidly and has outsized amenities (some mentioned above) for a city its size. It has changed in terms of color drastically in the past decade or two. But...there will still be some rednecks.

I would recommend not living right in Kohler, I don't know, it's very nice but still a planned city. Exceedingly expensive for what you get, as well. You can live right on or off a Lake Michigan beach near town for just a little more. Or over in the forrested morraines. Depends on if you dig nature. If not, the best choice would be living right in Sheboygan, which actually does have a functioning downtown with shops and restaurants and bars etc.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:54 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,025 times
Every time I visit Sheboygan I'm surprised at how much I like it, and this from someone who doesn't prefer small towns and usually feels that his time in WI is getting long in the tooth. There are some interesting old neighborhoods by the Lake Michigan shore, a decent little downtown, plenty of local restaurants, etc. The Blue Harbor Resort and other places listed above bring a constant influx of life and vibrancy into town. I really, really love Kohler-Andre State Park up there, and highly recommend you visit. Living near Lake Michigan can mean cooler temps in the summer and more moderate temps in the winter. Make no mistake, WI is a frozen hell in the wintertime, and your first winter will be quite the adjustment, especially with you coming directly from FL. However, you may actually grow to appreciate the different seasons, even the cold.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:54 AM

^ Agreed on Sheboygan. There also is a good new-ish brewery/bar (Three Sheeps) and numerous eateries both old and new (Taqueria popping up around town). The good news on winter is that, while there will be additional snow, if you live near the Lake it will be far, far milder for most of the winter than if you lived inland. Rochester MN is due west, but has much more in terms of temperature extremes both ways.

Oh, and the Kohler Arts Center is truly exceptional, especially if you're into art brut/folk/naive artwork - major museums borrow their collections when they want to display that sort of art. Nice location/courtyard, supported (like all the big golf courses and etc.) by the Kohler family.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:52 AM

50 posts, read 169,097 times
Bottom line.....
You will be fine my friend.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:08 AM

253 posts, read 394,018 times
Another option would be Port Washington, Grafton or any other northern suburb in Ozaukee County.

I hope you plan to visit first...I am not saying it is a racist area...but...My husband had a meeting in Sheboygan. He arrived early, stayed in his car (Mercedes), was dressed in a suit, and intended to go in 15 minutes prior to the meeting. He was sitting in the car reviewing documents. They came out and asked why he was there, and told him he needed to leave or else they would call the police. This is an educated, well dressed man they said this to.

Based on this incident, I cannot confidently say you will be fine or okay. You may experience this regardless of how you present yourself, your income or education.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:22 AM

What does that have to do with "racism?" If a guy is sitting out in a car in a private parking lot for a while, there may be questions. Seems paranoid, but that could happen anywhere. If he said "I have a meeting in X minutes here," which he must not have for some strange reason(??), there never would have been an issue.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:42 AM

253 posts, read 394,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
What does that have to do with "racism?" If a guy is sitting out in a car in a private parking lot for a while, there may be questions. Seems paranoid, but that could happen anywhere. If he said "I have a meeting in X minutes here," which he must not have for some strange reason(??), there never would have been an issue.

I did not say it was racism. It was my husband's perception of the situation.

Personally, I disagree. I have sat in a car outside of many businesses and have never been approached in that manner. And he did state he was there for a meeting, and was still not believed.

Not everyone thinks like you, or handles these types of situations the way you would.

I also don't think you can understand his experience or his perception since you were not born black, and will never be a black man.

Last edited by zoomkay; 09-30-2015 at 09:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin