Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 07:01 AM

251 posts, read 257,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINH View Post
Winter meaning the worst part is generally 4-4and a half months. Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar and then maybe half of Nov or Apr. I don't regard 56 degrees as winter even 46 is a cool day in fall or spring where you put on a jacket and voila it is just fine. I don't get the parka and gloves and heavy sweaters out in April or most of Nov. There are just as many days warmer than normal as cold or colder than normal in those 2 months. I will take those months over 90 degrees for 3-4 months in summer any year
46 and 54 are the average high temps those months. Many days have even lower highs, and any time that isn't the warmest hour of the day it is colder. We think of 40s and even 30s as normal fall or spring weather since we live in the coldest region of the US, but the vast majority of the US does not think of these temps as spring or fall temps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 08:17 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helena101 View Post
46 and 54 are the average high temps those months. Many days have even lower highs, and any time that isn't the warmest hour of the day it is colder. We think of 40s and even 30s as normal fall or spring weather since we live in the coldest region of the US, but the vast majority of the US does not think of these temps as spring or fall temps.
Why do you keep arguing about it? Of course someone from Florida is going to think 50 is cold, that's a no brainer. We do not have 7 months of winter, no matter how much you want to think so. Actually, you don't even live here, do you? Enough said.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:56 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Why do you keep arguing about it? Of course someone from Florida is going to think 50 is cold, that's a no brainer. We do not have 7 months of winter, no matter how much you want to think so. Actually, you don't even live here, do you? Enough said.

I never thought of WI having 7 mos of winter either. I can't think of anyplace in the US outside of maybe AK that does, and I doubt they think they do either. I hardly consider having to put on a sweatshirt as equaling being winter.

Last edited by timberline742; 10-22-2015 at 10:08 AM..

Old 10-22-2015, 09:58 AM

1,261 posts, read 950,961 times
Quote:
But by that logic a city like Seattle, which monthly average high temperatures never go above 76F, has no summer at all...

In Wisconsin, I'd say it is fair to say that winter runs from the end of November through the end of March. Some years it is a little longer, some a little shorter - but that's only about 4 months. I could see maybe adding April to that list and making it 5 months, but anything more is really pushing it. My vegetable garden is already getting going by late April most years!

Old 10-22-2015, 10:28 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
Well - as a native borne Madisonian...... when the brown slush/snow is still on the ground in April and May - I'd still call that winter.

At least out West here the snow has the courtesy of melting and going away fast....

Old 10-22-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I've lived in both WI and the midwest in general for a number of years. And no we're not just talking about the perception of people from Florida. Like I mentioned before, Indianapolis and St Louis, which are both in the midwest, have temperatures almost 10 degrees higher in November and April. Look at the cities with the coldest winters, numerous Wisconsin cities (including southern WI cities) are on the list, and check out the states with the coldest winters and Wisconsin is right up there at #5. When the majority of the US is seeing flowers bloom, we still have slush and snow on the ground. Yes, we think of 30 or 40 degrees as fall or spring weather and I'm sure the polar bears at the north pole think that 10 degrees is spring weather, but we're talking about the general perception of most people-- not what people who have grown accustomed to occasional blizzards during spring break think.

Last edited by helena101; 10-22-2015 at 12:48 PM..

Old 10-22-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
But by that logic a city like Seattle, which monthly average high temperatures never go above 76F, has no summer at all...

In Wisconsin, I'd say it is fair to say that winter runs from the end of November through the end of March. Some years it is a little longer, some a little shorter - but that's only about 4 months. I could see maybe adding April to that list and making it 5 months, but anything more is really pushing it. My vegetable garden is already getting going by late April most years!
If April could be added, November is actually colder than April. I think April just feels more like winter than November since we still often have snow on the ground in April.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I've lived in both WI and the midwest in general for a number of years. And no we're not just talking about the perception of people from Florida. Like I mentioned before, Indianapolis and St Louis, which are both in the midwest, have temperatures almost 10 degrees higher in November and April. Look at the cities with the coldest winters, numerous Wisconsin cities (including southern WI cities) are on the list, and check out the states with the coldest winters and Wisconsin is right up there at #5. When the majority of the US is seeing flowers bloom, we still have slush and snow on the ground. Yes, we think of 30 or 40 degrees as fall or spring weather and I'm sure the polar bears at the north pole think that 10 degrees is spring weather, but we're talking about the general perception of most people-- not what people who have grown accustomed to occasional blizzards during spring break think.
And as I & others have said, wisconsin does not have 7 months of winter, no matter how much you wish it. That would be a straight up lie. Stick to posting facts & stick to posting in the state forum you actually live in. People have no use for incorrect "advice" from posters who don't live in said state.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Well - as a native borne Madisonian...... when the brown slush/snow is still on the ground in April and May - I'd still call that winter.

At least out West here the snow has the courtesy of melting and going away fast....
Nope, you can have warm weather & snow piles on the ground if you had a large snowfall for the winter, like we did 2 years ago.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:52 PM

26,408 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post

I much prefer the climate of Madison, but the one disadvantage is that it is just south of the mixed forest belt in Wisconsin, which means next to zero pine trees. That means less winter greenery. I just don't prefer 83-86FF in October. That is just wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin