Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite?
Madison 20 48.78%
Wausau 14 34.15%
Eau Claire 7 17.07%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 06:48 AM

20 posts, read 50,637 times

Advertisements

If you had to choose one (or its surrounding areas) to live in which one would it be? I don't want this to turn into a fight, the reason I'm asking is because all three areas look wonderful.

Madison is top for amenities/conveniences, is close to Milwaukee and Chicago, but the COL is the highest of the three from what I can tell.

Wausau is right in the middle on COL, has less stuff to do than Madison but more than Eau Claire, but also is the farthest from any big metro area.

Eau Claire is close to the twin cities, seems to have the least on the big city stuff to do front and as a result of that probably has the cheapest COL.

That's what I gather after looking into each area. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

It's hard to choose!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 06:56 AM

404 posts, read 477,102 times
I voted Wausau, but then I'm partial to that area as I grew up in Rapids. Better still is Stevens Point.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:33 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,022,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan57 View Post
I voted Wausau, but then I'm partial to that area as I grew up in Rapids. Better still is Stevens Point.
^^^ This. Voted Wausau but would live outside the city.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:16 AM

3,450 posts, read 4,491,901 times
Agreed that if you were in the Wausau region, Point would be the best option.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:55 AM

I keep hearing a lot about Stevens Point. That's actually kind of why I mentioned the surrounding areas in parentheses. Milwaukee and Green Bay seem nice, but I'd rather Madison than either of those. Madison is south, Wausau is right in the middle, and Eau Claire is west. That covers a lot of the state. The only thing about Wausau that I may dislike is that it's farther from a huge metro area than the other two cities. The benefit though is that since it's so central in location I'd have more access to both metros. Just a longer driving time.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:06 AM

By the way, what is it about Steven's Point that makes it better than Wausau? Or, better than the other places too?

Old 10-06-2015, 05:01 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,022,038 times
Stevens Point has a more enjoyable downtown in my opinion. It also uses the riverfront for its parks in a more appealing way. The "suburbs" are not as spread out and there is a generally good relationship with the UW campus in the city as well. The tree lined streets are rather like the Norman Rockwell settings in some ways, with large homes set back on deep lots in many areas.

Also worth noting, Central WI Airport is not much farther from Stevens Point than it is from much of Wausau. So in terms of distance it is probably the most central city (small) in the state with Appleton and the Fox Valley to the east, Madison and Milwaukee south, and the twin cities West. You are also only two hours from some of the most scenic places in the Midwest in the "Northwoods" of Minocqua, St Germain, and Eagle River areas.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:00 PM

404 posts, read 477,102 times
Yea, Point is smaller than Wausau but still has decent shopping, restaurants and supper clubs, 2 movie theaters, a great bicycling/walking trail (Green Circle) and 15 miles or so to the best cheese curds I've ever had at Dairy State Cheese Factory in Rudolph. So, Point has plenty do to, a great small town feel and you can get around there very easily. If you go, be sure to visit the square downtown, it's fun to explore the shops, etc. Point even has bedroom communities; Plover and Whiting. And as Rynldsbr stated, the Wisconsin Northwoods are close by. Buy skis and/or snowmobiles and have a blast.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:19 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,542,691 times
I love Wausau. It's especially beautiful this time of year. The downtown area has really transformed and is very trendy now. I would move back there in a heartbeat.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:46 AM

3,450 posts, read 4,491,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
You are also only two hours from some of the most scenic places in the Midwest in the "Northwoods" of Minocqua, St Germain, and Eagle River areas.
And less than that from the (even more scenic, at least to me) Driftless. A few hours from Lake Superior, couple from Lake Michigan, it really is a nice spot for exploring the state.

There is far more to do in the smaller Stevens Point - the university ups the amenities greatly, and the fact that Professors/white collar staff live there gives it much greater balance than Wausau (not to mention Sentry etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin