Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 09:36 AM

30 posts, read 34,921 times

Advertisements

We're looking at re-locating to WI sometime over the next few years. Anyone have opinions on which one of these areas would be nicer for a young family? We are looking for a smallish town setting and good schools with a great community for the kids to grow up in. Also will probably be in the suburban / country area with privacy and a little bit of land.
Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 06:52 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,532,210 times
La Crosse immediate rural area is prettier, though GB has Door County and the northwoods within 45 minutes, if you prefer that to the Driftless. Green Bay, with Appleton and the Valley right there, is a much more populated area with many more amenities. However, Twin Cities are fairly close to La Crosse for that sort of thing. The two are fairly different communities in fairly different settings, honestly. Would need to know more.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:00 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,294 times
More information would be helpful. While Green Bay is far from metro it is more populated that the La Crosse area. If I were to choose, also liking small towns and with a family of kids in school, I would pick Holmen area just north of La Crosse. The river area is beautiful, abundant state parks nearby, and easy enough to get to Madison, Minneapolis if the need for a larger population center arises.

Lots of towns in either side of the state will provide a fairly rural / suburban feel as you mention. You should visit and spend some time in either and then come back with more specifics and others may be able to provide better guidance.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:12 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,532,210 times
Right, comes down to region. Again, far western WI/Driftless is fairly different from far eastern/northwoods-Great Lakes both culturally and recreationally.

And you are short-selling GB/Appleton a bit in terms of amenities. It's not a metro, but it trumps La Crosse by a quite significant amount.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:44 PM

49 posts, read 128,241 times
I live in the LaCrosse region and have a sister with a child in Green Bay, so I can sort of answer. In my opinion LaCrosse area sounds like it is more of a fit for you. My sister is a school counselor who has worked in both districts and she prefers LaCrosse area. Green Bay doesn't see to have alot of family activities activities as LaCrosse and the hometown feel is just off to me. We are a family of 5 and when we visited we found it hard to find activities for the whole week. Maybe it's the time we visit there isn't alot going on. The Packers are really the heart and soul of the area. La Crosse has some really nice rual areas 20 mins from town in almost all directions. I don't know alot about the Green Bay area so I can tell you more about Lacrosse though. I think your profile is from California so be prepared to freeze your arse off!!!! Especially in GB.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:29 AM

404 posts, read 480,836 times
I vote for La Crosse...

Old 01-25-2016, 03:36 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,840 times
Brown County (Green Bay) is more than 2x the population of Lacrosse County, bringing more opportunity while still having great schools. I grew up in Green Bay and had a great experience. I still visit my parents there from time to time and it's better than ever.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:12 PM

26,419 posts, read 46,591,155 times
LaCrosse over Green Bay IMO. Appleton over Green Bay IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin