Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2015, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 3,477 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My husband and I will be relocating to Wisconsin (from Illinois) early next year. My job will be in Butler, so anywhere nearby would be great. Any recommendations would be great when deciding where to move!

- We are young (early/mid 20's) and making 6 figures
- No kids, but crime rates/safety is important to us
- Into paleo/primal, fitness, anything active & outdoors - want lots of green space around us! Also, farmers markets nearby would be great
- Prefer to be close enough to city amenities (so, MKE) but not quite in the city
- Looking to rent an apartment (one bedroom), up to $1300 in rent

We've considered Franklin - Manchester Oaks in particular - but it has mixed reviews. Is Whitnall Pointe better, if anyone knows?

Thank you so much! All comments are much appreciated

- Alex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 11:34 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,046,958 times
Germantown and Menomonee Falls will be easier commutes than going south to Franklin or Oak Creek areas. Waukesha County may offer better options with desire for green space and farmers markets atmosphere while close to the city amenities. Hartland, Sussex, Pewaukee...

Old 12-22-2015, 08:45 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,885,691 times
I'd say Brady Street and around (especially since you don't have kids), or Whitefish Bay/ Shorewood. Wauwatosa might be another good option. Maybe Brookfield. Nothing against Menomononie Falls or German town either, other than it's a bit far from the city.

Definitely nothing on the south side, because you don't win anything by staying there and would get a bad commute.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:43 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,046,958 times
Um..."green space" and "not in city" does not equal Brady St. but Whitefish Bay and Shorewood may be good options. Wauwatosa can vary a lot depending on where you are. property crimes and petty theft are up in many areas there.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:08 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,885,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Um..."green space" and "not in city" does not equal Brady St. but Whitefish Bay and Shorewood may be good options. Wauwatosa can vary a lot depending on where you are. property crimes and petty theft are up in many areas there.
Renting a 1br apartment does not fit into "Green Space" either. And Brady St area is arguably best part of the city with all the city fun, good for young couple.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:52 AM

1,261 posts, read 949,720 times
I really think Wauwatosa is worth looking at, especially the areas near Hoyt Park/the downtown village. You'll be close to work (5-10 miles away), you'll have easy access to Hoyt Park, the Honey Creek parkway, and Jacobus Park. There are tons of great restaurant options in the area, festivals in Hoyt Park, a farmer's market, and you're very close to downtown Milwaukee.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:42 PM

74 posts, read 80,313 times
I would only consider Menomonee Falls for 2 reasons. You are only minutes away from Butler (I live in Butler, born and raised in MF). There are 2 brand new, luxury apt. communities in MF called The Woodlands (closest to Butler, 2 miles) or The Junction (next door to the new Costco, new WAC, Wisconsin Athletic club...gorgeous with huge indoor pool and spa like amenities) and other shopping, not sure if they are completed yet (4-5 miles to Butler). These apartments were built and are managed by Fiduciary Real Estate, one of the finest developers in the area. These homes rent for $1,200 to about $1,800 depending on which floor plan you choose. Manchester Oaks is managed by Fiduciary.
Also, when you decide to purchase MF also has the most developments in new construction, if that's your thing, and was recently ranked 32 best small town in which to reside, by Money Magazine, Germantown ranked 37th...these are the only two communities in WI to make the rankings...if that means anything to you.

I'm trying to stay on Paleo so hard...but...would you bring me a Gino's East Pizza up with you anyway!

Old 01-14-2016, 03:35 PM

3 posts, read 3,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibiloxi View Post
I would only consider Menomonee Falls for 2 reasons. You are only minutes away from Butler (I live in Butler, born and raised in MF). There are 2 brand new, luxury apt. communities in MF called The Woodlands (closest to Butler, 2 miles) or The Junction (next door to the new Costco, new WAC, Wisconsin Athletic club...gorgeous with huge indoor pool and spa like amenities) and other shopping, not sure if they are completed yet (4-5 miles to Butler). These apartments were built and are managed by Fiduciary Real Estate, one of the finest developers in the area. These homes rent for $1,200 to about $1,800 depending on which floor plan you choose. Manchester Oaks is managed by Fiduciary.
Also, when you decide to purchase MF also has the most developments in new construction, if that's your thing, and was recently ranked 32 best small town in which to reside, by Money Magazine, Germantown ranked 37th...these are the only two communities in WI to make the rankings...if that means anything to you.

I'm trying to stay on Paleo so hard...but...would you bring me a Gino's East Pizza up with you anyway!
Thank you for everyone's responses! I definitely feel more "in the know" now - I just have to spend a bit more time in each area And mibiloxi - there are a lot of yummy paleo pizza recipes out there! Or if you're doing cheese/want a grain-free cheat, look for crustless/sausage based pizzas in your area. (We have Lou Malnatis over in Illinois, not sure about Wisconsin though.) You got this!

Old 01-15-2016, 02:04 PM

74 posts, read 80,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex3435 View Post
Thank you for everyone's responses! I definitely feel more "in the know" now - I just have to spend a bit more time in each area And mibiloxi - there are a lot of yummy paleo pizza recipes out there! Or if you're doing cheese/want a grain-free cheat, look for crustless/sausage based pizzas in your area. (We have Lou Malnatis over in Illinois, not sure about Wisconsin though.) You got this!
Thanks...and I have tried Paleo's Meatza, which, if you don't know is a meat crust, and it is good, but nothing beats Gino's crust in my mind...going to try a cauliflower crust next. Thanks for the advise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin