Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 12:53 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Sure, anything seems like a city when you are that far into the boondocks FWIW, one of my parents' closest friend has a small home near Pike Lake. That's about as peaceful of a spot as it gets(!)

I would argue that what you call a 'challenge' is actually a decent opportunity for some to earn a living and continue to enjoy the northwoods, either as a transplant or someone who grew up there. The tourist revenue/presence props up everything that would otherwise could not exist on the same scale (and more often than not, lower quality).
Sometimes the tourist economy can be a catch-22 because it props of the quality of life at the same time driving up the cost of living. Most commodities and services see a significant price increase in the Memorial Day to Labor Day season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 01:39 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Sometimes the tourist economy can be a catch-22 because it props of the quality of life at the same time driving up the cost of living. Most commodities and services see a significant price increase in the Memorial Day to Labor Day season.
Meh. I disagree with that as being a significant part of the total cost of living. My parents paid the same rate when they needed a plumber in January as they did when I was there in July. Restaurant prices stay quite similar for most if not the same. Bread prices don't go up either. Property taxes are the same and do no fluctuate by month. Gas might move a little but not significantly, since they pay higher all year long than you would further south in Madison or Milwaukee.

Why don't you give some concrete examples? Again, this is really only going to be a massive issue if you are on some sort of shoestring budget.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:46 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Meh. I disagree with that as being a significant part of the total cost of living. My parents paid the same rate when they needed a plumber in January as they did when I was there in July. Restaurant prices stay quite similar for most if not the same. Bread prices don't go up either. Property taxes are the same and do no fluctuate by month. Gas might move a little but not significantly, since they pay higher all year long than you would further south in Madison or Milwaukee.

Why don't you give some concrete examples? Again, this is really only going to be a massive issue if you are on some sort of shoestring budget.
Mother's roof was leaking and the price to repair was quoted 20% lower based on waiting for October when all the summer residents had left. Body repair to her car was also offered at a discount in the spring if she had it completed before Memorial Day when "business picks up".

A lot of the residents there are on shoestring budgets, and those shoestrings are stretched pretty tight as the taxes have increased over the years on retirement homes due to the popularity (and subsequent value increases) of the lake homes driving up the market. Property off the lakes may still be a value to many, but close to Minocqua absolutely costs more than further out, and that is a direct result of the market being pushed higher by tourist dollars.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:06 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Mother's roof was leaking and the price to repair was quoted 20% lower based on waiting for October when all the summer residents had left. Body repair to her car was also offered at a discount in the spring if she had it completed before Memorial Day when "business picks up".

A lot of the residents there are on shoestring budgets, and those shoestrings are stretched pretty tight as the taxes have increased over the years on retirement homes due to the popularity (and subsequent value increases) of the lake homes driving up the market. Property off the lakes may still be a value to many, but close to Minocqua absolutely costs more than further out, and that is a direct result of the market being pushed higher by tourist dollars.
You and I have already covered all of this in the thread- please review all earlier posts.

The assessments are not going up significantly on homes that aren't on prime lakefront property.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:35 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Well, I was there yesterday, out on most of the trails. I want to applaud the county for maintaining and marking the trails so well, including the hiking trails and online maps. You made my winter as I was traveling from far away (750 miles one way).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin