Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 12:33 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Sure going all the way to WI for summers is great, but you can easily be surrounded by woods and cool lakes without having to leave the state of AZ.

[IMG][/IMG]
Thats great and all for a weekend, but Im talking about 5 straight months here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 12:36 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,158,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Thats great and all for a weekend, but Im talking about 5 straight months here.
You're being generous my friend, it's more like 6 months if not a bit more. I've always said since I moved here, 6 months good weather followed by 6 months of bad weather. We got a real break last year, we actually had some form of winter which was greatly appreciated!

Old 02-09-2016, 02:40 PM

483 posts, read 665,174 times
As a former Wisconsinite, I'll take an Arizona summer over a Wisconsin winter any day. The only snow I want to see from now on is at the top of the mountains.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:15 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Be careful what you wish for. In a few weeks this place will be hell on earth for five straight months.
The difference is in Wisconsin, the weather gets worse in the morning and nights. In Arizona, it's quite pleasant in the mornings and evenings in the summer. I'm an old man and I still run, play tennis, golf, and hike in the mornings and evenings in the summer.

I miss the summers in Arizona. I'll take the dry heat over the bugs and nearly daily overcast/rain that occurs in Florida in the summer. If you drove home from work every night with barely any visbility due to the rain where you are genuinely concerned for your safety, you would miss Arizona summers too trust me. That constant sense of wetness is annoying too.

Oh and welcome to the first Heat thread of the year. Yay, can't wait until this becomes 60 pages by August of the same arguments rehashed over the years.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:26 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Quote:
All crowded like flies at a picnic. There's a couple hundred lakes in AZ, most of which would be ponds in Wisconson, and all of them are overrun by people weekends and even weekdays now. Wiscsonsin has literally thousands. Blue Ridge (pic on the right) hasn't looked like that in several years. It is all but empty, choked with algae and devoid of fish anymore. Even if it fills a bit, it is quickly drained for water to keep up with unsustainable growth in Payson. AZ is not what it used to be. Just too many people for the resources.
A couple of lakes in Arizona? That's funny... You mean several of the largest man-made lakes ever created? I rode out to Saguaro Lake last weekend, no crowds at all.... You're clearly an overly negative person that's drastically over exaggerating things.

If you're not happy with what you're doing, try something different. Life is too short to be that negative.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
You're being generous my friend, it's more like 6 months if not a bit more. I've always said since I moved here, 6 months good weather followed by 6 months of bad weather. We got a real break last year, we actually had some form of winter which was greatly appreciated!
I hear this a lot, what is it you find so miserable at May and October?

Here's last October, pretty typical: Phoenix Month Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for AZ 85004

We had a total of 2 days above 100, we had lows in the 60's nearly every night of the month minus the first 4 or 5 days. I find 90ish degrees very nice in the valley, if like most people you work during the day the evenings are absolutely perfect for dining outside, walking the dog, taking a hike etc...

So we get to May, the other month I hear people just DRED...

Phoenix Month Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for AZ 85004

Once again, 4 days above 100, most nights hit 60's or 70's meaning mornings and evenings are awesome for outdoors activities, when guess what? That's when most of us have time to do activities.

June-September, I get it, it's hot... 4 months of pure heat, that's what we expect living here. We get some killer thunderstorms, that anyone who appreciates weather probably really enjoys, I for one do. But when I've lived in 4-seasons cities, I remember getting told "You have to be a hardy new englander to live here KID!!!!" And they were right, you have to suck it up when you're in a place like NH, VT or ME.... It can be below freezing at night for literally 6-7 months of the year and as soon as the weather does warm up the bugs come out.

I think it's time to suck it up Arizona. It's not that bad here.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:30 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
A couple of lakes in Arizona? That's funny... You mean several of the largest man-made lakes ever created? I rode out to Saguaro Lake last weekend, no crowds at all.... You're clearly an overly negative person that's drastically over exaggerating things.

If you're not happy with what you're doing, try something different. Life is too short to be that negative.
I know our lakes. Spent decades visiting almost every one of them in this state. Saguaro? Try it in July. It will be closed to boating before 10 am on weekends and full of drunks on water and roads. Weekdays are bearable, but more and more retirees keep coming and crowding, especially in winter. Wisconsin lakes are crowded too though with FIBs on the better known ones. But there are little lakes everywhere in the north woods. Lots of bugs, something that is not a problem on our lakes.

My point is not that we don't have nice places. We just have too many people now to enjoy them. Bumper to bumper traffic going up and coming back from the mountains. Garbage and damage all over the forests to the point that more and more places are being closed. We really don't need to be encouraging more people to move here.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:35 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,150 times
Is this topic even Phoenix related?

It seems like more of a complaint about Wisconsin and might be better in that forum.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I know our lakes. Spent decades visiting almost every one of them in this state. Saguaro? Try it in July. It will be closed to boating before 10 am on weekends and full of drunks on water and roads. Weekdays are bearable, but more and more retirees keep coming and crowding, especially in winter. Wisconsin lakes are crowded too though with FIBs on the better known ones. But there are little lakes everywhere in the north woods. Lots of bugs, something that is not a problem on our lakes.

My point is not that we don't have nice places. We just have too many people now to enjoy them. Bumper to bumper traffic going up and coming back from the mountains. Garbage and damage all over the forests to the point that more and more places are being closed. We really don't need to be encouraging more people to move here.
Yeah, I'm sure it is crowded at 10am on a weekend in July, but it's completely awesome out there right now. At least we get a quiet season here, believe me there's places that are much more annoyingly crowded than Arizona although I get what you're saying, the secret is out and all the great places here do get crowded.

I still have a few fairly isolated areas that I go biking or hiking and rarely see anyone else. Luckily this state is so big and so open that there's always a little corner you can find that isn't too crowded.

I'm tend to spend a lot of weekends out of town in July, not at the local lakes. I usually leave when I know it's least convenient for most others, 4am on a Saturday morning for example and come back either really late Sunday night or first thing Sunday morning or even just day trip it and come back Saturday night. I can't say I haven't occasionally got caught in bumper to bumper traffic, but it's rare.

It sucks to hear long timers (it sounds like you've been here a long time) so depressed about the growth, but I also get it. Hopefully you can figure out a few things that still work out for your enjoyment....

Old 02-09-2016, 08:27 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
You are grossly exaggerating. I live in Florida and was here for nearly the entire month of October. It was hot for a few days that first week and the rest of the month was nearly perfect. October was a far nicer month than November in my opinion. I can't believe anyone would cite October as being negative. And honestly some days in September are really nice too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin