Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 10:32 AM

383 posts, read 392,338 times

Advertisements

I moved away almost 4 years ago after living in Madison for 13 years. I love WI dearly. I was not born and raised there, but I will always consider it home. It's one of the most beautiful states in the country with wonderful people, activities, education, etc. The only thing I do not miss is the cost of living. I want to move back but just cannot justify the cost. Oh, and I have a love/hate relationship with the snow. Now I am homesick...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 01:36 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,858,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
. The only thing I do not miss is the cost of living. I want to move back but just cannot justify the cost. Oh, and I have a love/hate relationship with the snow. Now I am homesick...........
Interesting.

I found WI COL to be cheaper than other places we have lived.

Maybe not in Madison per se, but overall I see housing in Fox Valley, Wausau or other really nice areas as "cheap." COL is definitely a personal perspective thing and is based on what an individual is used to.

Someone from rural Arkansas might find WI expensive whereas someone from CA or urban NY would feel like they won a lottery if they moved there.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:10 PM

383 posts, read 392,338 times
I agree. I've lived in Knoxville, Memphis (Germantown), Omaha (which is now more expensive than WI, IMO), Houston, Detroit (suburbs), Madison, and St. Louis. (Yes, we are trying to live in most of the highest crime cities in the US). Madison has the highest taxes by far. Additionally, compared to the places I have lived, you don't get a lot of house for your money in Madison. My current house here in St. Louis would be at least $475,000 in Madison, about $75,000 more than here. Taxes would be double. Granted St. Louis is a hellhole and Madison has a pretty high quality of life. Hmmm. Maybe I should move back to Madison!

Old 04-08-2016, 01:28 PM

163 posts, read 418,635 times
I lived in northwest Indiana for many years, couldn't wait to get out of the smog. My first hubby's parents had a cottage near Portage, spent many summer weekends up there, and a couple winter weekends. Always loved it. Wisconsin was my first choice when 2nd hubby and I wanted to move, but we ended up in northern California...waaaaay north, 20 miles from Oregon, on the coast. It was really beautiful, but lacking in jobs, health care and places to shop. After 2 autumns with just pine trees I was missing fall colors really bad. I felt like I was stuck in "green". The first winter there was great, it didn't rain much and we took lots of walks on the trails. The second winter (this one), it rained so much and so hard we had rock and mud slides on the mountain roads, in fact sometimes parts of the roads would fall down the sides of the mountains. If the roads weren't falling, the trees were, and some of them were Redwoods. My hubby's allergies we so bad we decided to move again. Turned out his cousin moved to Wisconsin and the place he works was hiring, so here we are!

Old 04-08-2016, 05:21 PM

50 posts, read 67,686 times
The best thing about Wisconsin is by far, the people. I love how friendly everyone is, making friends in Wisconsin is easier than many parts of the country. I took my husband, who is Iowa born and raised, to a Packers game and he could not believe how complete strangers will just strike up a conversation with you, and before you know it they are asking you to join their tailgate party. I am a Yooper born and raised, but I consider Wisconsin to be near and dear to my heart.

There is such a wonderful diversity of climates and scenery. The Northwoods are mystical and beautiful and then in the Southern part of the state there are the prairies. Lots of pretty country all around.

Next best thing about Wisconsin, cheese curds, need I say more.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:13 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,515 times
Also, car and home insurance rates tend to be much cheaper in WI than in other states. Helps to make up for the insane property taxes!

Old 04-11-2016, 05:48 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,306 times
Minnesota and Wisconsin are the nations best kept secrets. Let's keep it that way.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:42 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
I grew up there and lived there for 32 of my first 40 years. I have no intention of ever going back to live. You all can have it. I don't know what is so special. Weather is not so hot and the winters are cold and gloomy. Lots of mosquitoes. Not a great economy and the taxes are some of the highest in the country. I hope you're all happy there. We've got plenty of liberals in Texas. We really don't need any more.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:10 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I grew up there and lived there for 32 of my first 40 years. I have no intention of ever going back to live. You all can have it. I don't know what is so special. Weather is not so hot and the winters are cold and gloomy. Lots of mosquitoes. Not a great economy and the taxes are some of the highest in the country. I hope you're all happy there. We've got plenty of liberals in Texas. We really don't need any more.
Buh bye!

Old 04-26-2016, 11:37 PM

108 posts, read 150,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
It is a great state to those who have never left it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin