Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 08:39 PM

75 posts, read 99,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigirl920 View Post
Arctic generally means that there is snow involved. And I did reference cold temps as well.

Wintertime can bring out the "blues," for sure...but it's all a matter of how you deal with it. I've lived through almost 40 winters now and I've never once been even close to feeling like I'm in hibernation. There are plenty of winter activities to partake in. Like I said, it's all a matter of how you deal with it.

Just to add -I know plenty of people hate the winters here (myself included!) and boy, it can sure feel like Antarctica at times. However, I think it's unfair to misrepresent how it really is. When a person says 'arctic,' that implies bitter cold and snow and generally crappy weather. That is not the case here for a 5-6 month period. But at the same time, I fully agree that people should know what they're in for. I don't know radraja's background, maybe he/she came from a warm climate...so therefore, Wisconsin winters would feel much worse than they do to some of us who have pretty much gotten used to it.

I suppose it all comes down to a matter of opinion...and that's exactly what my posts were. My opinion only.
No need to say you need to clarify what people are trying to say, speculate on where they come from or tell us it's all in how you choose to deal with it, sounds a little snippy.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:09 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,195 times
I'm originally from here. Lived elsewhere for awhile as a teenager (due to a parental job situation), but later moved back.

But seriously, I can't believe there's been this much debate over word choice. "Arctic" was a figure of speech...it was the best word I could think of to convey the idea of "very, very cold" (which is a pretty accurate statement of winters here). I obviously didn't literally mean eskimos and igloos. Coming from the south, Wisconsin winters will probably feel quite arctic to the OP. Heck, the winters feel arctic to most people who are from here.

As for the timeframe debate....if this coming winter is anything like last winter when there was snow until April...ehhh.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:53 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad420 View Post
Well good for you

Not everyone has the make up to be the rah rah type A personality who sees sunshine and lollipops no matter the circumstances 24/7 hours a day.

I was born here and have lived here all my life minus 12 years and I have NEVER cared for the winters. Why does that necessarily mean I don't have a postive frame of mind?
Maybe it's not just your kvetching about winter that means you don't have a positive frame of mind, but rather that you never have anything positive to say about anything and so everything you say has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:22 AM

75 posts, read 99,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Maybe it's not just your kvetching about winter that means you don't have a positive frame of mind, but rather that you never have anything positive to say about anything and so everything you say has to be taken with a grain of salt.
I wasn't specifically whining about weather in this thread...have you even read it? And even if I had been is that something unusual around here??
Worry about your own kvetching hypothosizing would ya?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin