U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 04:53 PM

104 posts, read 421,116 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Hello Wisconsin,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] I will be leaving the military in about a year, I’m from Georgia but I’m thinking about maybe moving to another state. I have done a lot of research on Wisconsin, but would like to know what the residents think. What are some good places (cities) to live? Things like crime, schools, economy, state taxes, cost of living, are all important but a couple of things I’m looking for as well is “hospitality”, a sense of neighbor hood, and politeness. I’m looking for a place that has community events (festivals, parades, carnivals, fairs, concerts), with beautiful scenery, hunting, and fishing. I’m currently in the US Army serving in Iraq, I built power lines before I joined and I’m a (25L) Signal Corp Telecommunications Lineman inside the Army. I will be looking for work in the power lineman or telecommunications field when I separate from the military. My wife is a Registered Nurse (RN) and will be looking for a job as well. So any info on power companies, telephone companies, and hospitals in those areas would be greatly appreciated. Best place to raise a family? So what’s your states “Mayberry”? [/SIZE]
Rate this post positively

Old 02-10-2008, 08:35 PM

537 posts, read 1,816,769 times
The Wausau area has a brand new power plant and 2 hospitals. There are some great places to live in the area too.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:12 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,028,548 times
Eau Claire Wisconsin has alot that you are looking for.Will DM some more info.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:43 AM

74 posts, read 179,822 times
If your looking for a smaller community, the Orfordville area might just be the place for you. It's located just about equal distance between Beloit and Janesville, maybe a 10-20 min drive, and it's an expanding town, so the possibility for line work might be there. Also, in Janesville there are 2 hospitals, maybe 25-30 min away from Orfordville, and in Beloit there is 1, maybe 30-35 min away. I live in Newark, and am a Senior in high school at Parkview, which is Orfordville's school District. Let me know if you want more information.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:01 AM

8 posts, read 24,894 times
Exclamation Wisconsin bad choice unless you are wealthy

Well I hate to say it but Wisconsin is EXPENSIVE if you are used to cost of living down south, I've had many relatives actually move down south because there they could actually afford to build a home and still have money left over to feed their children!
As far as hunting and all the festivals in the summer, yes it is great, but also with the 3 months of summer weather we have (give or take) you then also get the wonderful hot humid or rainy crap too...it is rare to have a nice stretch of decent dry weather here. Of course it isn't nearly as bad as down south with the constant humidity but it can be plain horrible, don't think moving "up north" solves that problem!
That property taxes are outrageous, as an example we own a small (1100 sq ft) old ranch home in a nice area Menomonee Falls and pay $3300/year for it! also the home was not cheap either and it was not remodeled and looked like you entered a 1950's home..we bought it 7 years ago for 145,000 of course now it is estimated at 200K or more...
Even Walmart prices here are more expensive, we actually have driven to Illinois to shop since the prices are that much more less expensive!
I think Wisconsin is a wanna be state! lol...expensive like NY and Cali, but forgetting we are just a midwest nothing state!
SOrry to offend any WI lovers but unless you make over 150,000 year and have a SMALL family to support, you will be living paycheck to paycheck in a very modest lifestyle too...
We make just under 100K combined and are finding it hard to keep up with prices and taxes etc here.
And by the way it has been in the negative degrees here lately! Winters are horrible...I've lived here all my life and you do NOT GET USED TO IT.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:22 AM

270 posts, read 493,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBoy-n-Iraq View Post
[SIZE=3]Hello Wisconsin,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] I will be leaving the military in about a year, I’m from Georgia but I’m thinking about maybe moving to another state. I have done a lot of research on Wisconsin, but would like to know what the residents think. What are some good places (cities) to live? Things like crime, schools, economy, state taxes, cost of living, are all important but a couple of things I’m looking for as well is “hospitality”, a sense of neighbor hood, and politeness. I’m looking for a place that has community events (festivals, parades, carnivals, fairs, concerts), with beautiful scenery, hunting, and fishing. I’m currently in the US Army serving in Iraq, I built power lines before I joined and I’m a (25L) Signal Corp Telecommunications Lineman inside the Army. I will be looking for work in the power lineman or telecommunications field when I separate from the military. My wife is a Registered Nurse (RN) and will be looking for a job as well. So any info on power companies, telephone companies, and hospitals in those areas would be greatly appreciated. Best place to raise a family? So what’s your states “Mayberry”? [/SIZE]
So basically, you're looking for the perfect place. Some would argue that you won't find the perfect place. But some places are more perfect than others. If you're from Georgia, and don't think you'll adjust to brutal winters, you might want to rethink Wisconsin. It's not as romantic as it looks like in the movies with snow floating down on the couple as they kiss, and the wealthy mother carrying a stack of gifts wrapped in gold paper by the gal at the fancy department store (she never slips on a patch of ice.) Nope, there's nothing glamorous about these winters. I won't go into it all, but it is no walk in the park.

Hospitality is another issue. Alot of defensive Wisconsinites will rush in after this post and say something like, "if you're not friendly, what do you expect"....when they don't know anything about the poster and have no idea what they're saying. Let me tell you, people here are not hospitable. I can't tell you how many times I've run across someone who was friendly and kind, and it turned out they are not from Wisconsin. And no, it is not just bettyboopster saying this. More people agree with me then some on this board would like to admit. You might find exceptions, but if you're looking for a neighborhood in which you can count your neighbors as your friends and invite them over for barbecues and borrow a cup of sugar, again--Wisconsin might not be your best bet.

Also, the previous poster is right about the cost of living. Sure, they like to compare it to Chicago or New York City, but Wisconsin does not have large metropolitan areas, and therefore cannot be compared to the costs of major cities. In fact, compared to some major cities in the south, the smallest town in Wisconsin is still more expensive when it comes to things like housing, food, and gas.

While it is not easy for professionals to find jobs in Wisconsin without connections, I do think nurses are always in high demand, so you might not have a problem there. And if you're a Mayberry kind of guy, just pick any town! Except for the hospitable part, it's pretty much Mayberry wherever you go.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:33 AM

4,723 posts, read 14,431,535 times
Betty, anyone who has read all your posts, including the now locked ones, has a pretty good take on the boop

Old 02-12-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Betty, anyone who has read all your posts, including the now locked ones, has a pretty good take on the boop
Yes, I wonder where some people's posts went on that "locked" one. lol Mine don't contain profanity, but when other people's do, they get deleted.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyboopster View Post
Yes, I wonder where some people's posts went on that "locked" one. lol Mine don't contain profanity, but when other people's do, they get deleted.
Just as I said, people would rush in with their "take".......all I've said is the facts! People can't stand to read what they don't agree with. Plain and simple. I can handle it, bring it on!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:13 AM

158 posts, read 567,090 times
Default Wausau

I just moved to Wausau this past summer and we have had a completely different experience from bettyboopster, though I totally understand how that can happen as everything depends on where you end up and personal preferences.

We are in a wonderful neighborhood (the kind where if you have an emergency... people offer to watch your kids so you have one less thing to worry about). We are always getting invited to ladies night out, or dinner, or movies... etc, but people don't get offended if, for example, I am too tired to go out that night. Even with this freezing cold long winter there have been plenty of opportunities to stay busy and connected. We have found a nice balance for us. People are friendly and inviting... but don't stick their noses into our business (experience from other places).

Not that I haven't met rude unfriendly people, as well. That happens everywhere. I have to say that it tended to happen a lot more frequently when we lived in RI, where everyone is in a hurry and most of the time you feel like you are in their way. Don't get me wrong... RI is a beautiful little state and we do have many friends there. I just find that after I have been in the Midwest for a while and go to visit RI, I have to re-adjust to more brusk less friendly attitudes that seem so rude... and praying every time I get behind the wheel and venture out onto the highway! We definitely like the environment here... especially since we have children.

As far as the cost of living here. Yes, the taxes are higher than a lot of the Midwest... but so much lower than we were used to in RI. A realtor friend of mine back east actually said (after reading all the specs for our house) that we would have had to pay three times what we paid for the same house back east! Then we would have had to pay the high RI taxes on top of that. THEN we would have had to pay the ridiculous insurance rates that they are now charging people to try to make up for past losses (aka Katrina). They are calling houses waterfront and assessing them for risks that are ludicrous! If these houses were flooded... we would have a lot more to worry about than collecting insurance (like the disappearance under water of the entire east coast!)

Anyhow, Wausau has treated us well thus far and I would like to repay the favor by giving it a thumbs up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin