Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2016, 10:25 PM

246 posts, read 349,369 times

Advertisements

Currently i am a small business owner in Montana and moved here in 2004 from Hayward WI and all over the place before that. I know things have likely changed since then and my folks are purchasing a business in Vilas County WI. They are getting up there in age and i would like to move close by to help them. My question is this. I am a Licensed General Contractor here in Montana. I would likely move and build my own place when my youngest graduates High School next year. We deal with VERY FEW codes here in Montana. In the county, You get a septic inspection and Electrical inspection. That's it. This means we can build what we want without government sticking their nose in things. When i built my house in Washburn County WI in 2003 it was the same way then but i have heard that now it is the full gamete of inspections and of course the associated extortion fees. Anyone know if this is true for Vilas County IN THE COUNTY? I have found that it is true in the towns. Thanks......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 08:36 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
Currently i am a small business owner in Montana and moved here in 2004 from Hayward WI and all over the place before that. I know things have likely changed since then and my folks are purchasing a business in Vilas County WI. They are getting up there in age and i would like to move close by to help them. My question is this. I am a Licensed General Contractor here in Montana. I would likely move and build my own place when my youngest graduates High School next year. We deal with VERY FEW codes here in Montana. In the county, You get a septic inspection and Electrical inspection. That's it. This means we can build what we want without government sticking their nose in things. When i built my house in Washburn County WI in 2003 it was the same way then but i have heard that now it is the full gamete of inspections and of course the associated extortion fees. Anyone know if this is true for Vilas County IN THE COUNTY? I have found that it is true in the towns. Thanks......
We are close to finishing our log cabin in Vilas county. Very few codes/inspections. We had septic and electrical...can't recall any others. It's my hubby's project so I'm not nearly as involved but I'm pretty sure he said that's all there was. I think you'll be fine.

You can always give the county a call. They are pretty cool about stuff. There was a woman who came out to discuss our plans to build a raised path through our low lands to our lake frontage and she was a little fussy. But she may have been DNR.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:10 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Default Call them or look online

Truthfully, the easiest way to approach this situation factually would be to speak with the county and/or township building/inspector representative where you plan on residing within Vilas. Also look on the various websites of Conover, Boulder Jct, St Germain, Arbot Vitae, Minocqua, etc. Nobody here has all the specific info per se of each township. Anything provided certainly won't be the level of accuracy you require if a few hundred dollars of extra fees/etc. would break your budget per se. There's probably a little subjectivity in the issue of 'government intrusion' as well.

Full disclosure: I also have parents/friends living up there, and have spent a lot of time there since I was nine years old. Fees/codes are average IME and property taxes are still super low.

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post

Old 05-21-2016, 10:34 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times
Vilas County Zoning - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin