Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 08:13 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times

Advertisements

Interesting reading this thread and all the comments, especially the comparison and contrast with the other Midwestern cities. That helps explain why in the census bureau's recent publication that listed the 15 fastest growing metro areas of the nation, not one of them was in the Midwest. People are leaving the high tax states in the Midwest in droves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 08:50 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,288 times
Default Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Interesting reading this thread and all the comments, especially the comparison and contrast with the other Midwestern cities. That helps explain why in the census bureau's recent publication that listed the 15 fastest growing metro areas of the nation, not one of them was in the Midwest. People are leaving the high tax states in the Midwest in droves.
Taxes were a challenge in WI but the real reason I left, two of my friends left, and other I have talked to have left, is jobs. The lack of employment with a livable salary drove me from the place I love. Nothing else.

I would have paid the taxes to offset the excellent education, the benefits readily available for a family member with disabilities, the well maintained (for the most part) infrastructure, and an overall excellent quality of life. Unfortunately, paying taxes requires gainful employment. WI is not doing enough to build a business friendly environment that will grow the employment base, thus losing talented people and families.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:08 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well the Flint crisis was national news, sure.

Wisconsin is also in the national news. Jeffrey Dahmer was big news years ago. The Vietnamese guy who shot those deer hunters was also national news.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:19 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Wisconsin is also in the national news. Jeffrey Dahmer was big news years ago. The Vietnamese guy who shot those deer hunters was also national news.
That stuff was over a decade ago.

Flint is on the news now, and is far bigger than the Hmong (from Laos) shooting incident. That was a footnote out here, Flint was every day news a couple of weeks ago.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:34 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
While the term is "Minnesota Nice", I think Wisconsin Nice applies too. [/i]
Isn't the term "Minnesota Nice" similar to "Southern Hospitality" ... where it means acting nice, but really being fake?

For example, when a southerner says "Bless your heart", they're really saying, "You're an idiot".

Regardless.. I will never miss WI winters - but will always miss the nice people.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:35 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

Flint is on the news now.

So is Madison, with all the attention the current Wisconsin governor receives.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:40 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
So is Madison, with all the attention the current Wisconsin governor receives.
No, it really isn't. I've never heard Madison come up in the news here. And rarely see it in the National news (CNN, etc).

Nothing at all like Flint which was first page for weeks.

What are you trying to prove? There is no debating that what has been going on in Flint is a National news story and current events in Wisconsin are not. Heck, even during the tenure and budget issues with Walker, or the recall effort with Walker, the news coverage of that all was dwarfed by the Flint crisis. Seriously.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:18 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Such as?

Well currently the Flint water thing, Detroit schools failing, and now they are trying to recall their governor because of that Flint stuff. Not to mention that places like Flint and Detroit are the most miserable cities one can imagine in the USA. Also in recent years Detroit has gone bankrupt, its mayor went to prison and the primary industry in that state failed and was bailed out by the rest of the country. I would say your neighbors across the lake qualify as our nations basket case. My point was that in Wisconsin you have all the same natural beauty they have over there without their drama.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:23 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:

That Jeffrey Dahmer event was over 25 years ago, but yet people still connect it with Milwaukee. He was one sick cowboy.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:33 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
What's the big deal? In Michigan, you can buy liquor in the grocery store.

oh yeah!? when you're 8?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin