Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 01:21 PM

291 posts, read 277,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Wisconsin= beer, jackets, drugs, beer, bad roads, Packers, slush, cold, wind, 55 degrees in July , perch
walleye, sausages, beer, jackets, deer ,smoked carp, insulated everything, ice fishing, spearing old sturgeons, augers, tip-ups , snowmobiles, beer, golf, snowboarding, perch , raw ground beef, ducks, geese, ring baloney,down riggers, catfish, suckers, red fish, sauerkraut, dumplings, snowshovels, coffee, coronary heart disease, obesity, organic brain syndrome ( water, nitrates, processed fatty foods, drugs & meds), high incidence of neuromuscular, transmitter short circuiting ,cancers and deteriorating infrastructure. And finally....beer and Culver's .
I have never seen a better summary. +100
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 01:25 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
I don't get several of those, but deteriorating infrastructure? Wisconsin has better roads and highways than any place I've ever lived. If they mean tech and ed infrastructure, I get that.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:30 PM

291 posts, read 277,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
The government is an aristocratic club where we find the laziest of the population.
I've know firsthand from friends and family. Since when did you take a government job to become rich?
Had a candystipper at the dmv tell me I should go back home and fill out my car registration, like I was wasting their time and energy. Pug...I pay their salary.

Millenials in this state are the future of Wisconsin and they aren't fit to do anything but sit with mouths open and winder.
Most of the replies miss your main point. Even beyond the DMV it is quite evident that WI has turned its back on democratic middle class ideals and turned government into a source of sinecure for the connected. At its worst you find straight up grift. The state is a northern example of the most hypocritical aspects of the 'party of small government' .

Last edited by King Harold; 05-11-2016 at 02:26 PM..

Old 05-11-2016, 05:36 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Wisconsin= beer, jackets, drugs, beer, bad roads, Packers, slush, cold, wind, 55 degrees in July , perch
walleye, sausages, beer, jackets, deer ,smoked carp, insulated everything, ice fishing, spearing old sturgeons, augers, tip-ups , snowmobiles, beer, golf, snowboarding, perch , raw ground beef, ducks, geese, ring baloney,down riggers, catfish, suckers, red fish, sauerkraut, dumplings, snowshovels, coffee, coronary heart disease, obesity, organic brain syndrome ( water, nitrates, processed fatty foods, drugs & meds), high incidence of neuromuscular, transmitter short circuiting ,cancers and deteriorating infrastructure. And finally....beer and Culver's .

What about frozen custard, like Boy Blue? Or is that just a Milwaukee thing?

Old 05-11-2016, 08:37 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabf View Post
Hi gypsyjudy!

Thanks for the input. I have been seeing, through threads, that taxes can be a big issue in WI. That is a great article! While it will be a bit more of a tax burden than WA going from 37th to 41st respectively (ranking adjusted for COL), in the areas we are looking at in WI we will be able to buy the home outright. Therefore the bump in taxes is not a deal breaker- but I appreciate the info. I have also heard that WI does have good tax funded services- schools and the like. If this is true atleast there are results to the increased taxes.

While I cannot say for certain if we can handle the winter ( I don't think you can know unless you have endured it) we do prefer snow to blistering hot- which for us is anything over 78. haha!

We do not have kids yet (mid/late 20's) but are hoping to start a family once we get settled. I have really liked what I have read about the Madison area. But for us we are looking for a smaller community oriented town. Mineral Point has really made and impression on me. We will be selling our house and traveling for a month to try and find the "perfect" place. Since you have lived in that area if you have any recommendations I would love to hear them.

We are hopeful to find this "perfect" town and start a small business. I would love to do something where you are truly embedded in the community and working a service with/for them. So any comments about small business environment in the Madison-Driftless area is valued.

Thanks again!
You'll get both in Wisconsin. Just a heads up...Mineral Point will feel much hotter than your PNW in the summer. As will all of southern WI except for that "cooler by the lake" area bordering Lake Michigan. Most of your MP summer will be in the 80s with some 90s. The C-D weather average temperature graph is misleading. It displays the same graph for my town...I'd be thrilled if low 80s were the norm for our summer highs.

Take a look at this: Mineral Point Month Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for WI 53565

Old 05-11-2016, 11:28 PM

173 posts, read 181,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
You'll get both in Wisconsin. Just a heads up...Mineral Point will feel much hotter than your PNW in the summer. As will all of southern WI except for that "cooler by the lake" area bordering Lake Michigan. Most of your MP summer will be in the 80s with some 90s. The C-D weather average temperature graph is misleading. It displays the same graph for my town...I'd be thrilled if low 80s were the norm for our summer highs.

Take a look at this: Mineral Point Month Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for WI 53565
Great point, thanks! What I was finding on here didnt show it as that hot. We'll still check it out but I'm adding more states back into our possibilities.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:19 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabf View Post
Great point, thanks! What I was finding on here didnt show it as that hot. We'll still check it out but I'm adding more states back into our possibilities.
Remember those are averages. So one 90 degree summer day and one 75 degree summer day average out to 82.

Good luck with your search!

Old 05-20-2016, 06:13 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Even I don't think Wisconsin is a particularly bad state (and I live in freakin' Superior for three years!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin