Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 11:01 AM

24 posts, read 32,975 times

Advertisements

Can anyone share any insight into how safe Neenah, Appleton and Menasha are?

My wife and I are planning to relocate to Wisconsin sometime later this year from southern Indiana. We've visited before and love how beautiful Lake Winnebago is. We work from home, so commuting isn't a factor, but safety is. Greenville is nice but definitely out of our price range.

Mainly interested to know if there are any particular streets or neighborhoods within these three cities that any of you recommend not to move to (break-ins, car theft etc).

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 11:15 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
They're safe in my opinion. I'd have no problem living in those areas myself.
Like anywhere, there are crimes, but overall, they're safe places to live.

I hope you'll enjoy living in WI!

Old 06-12-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
They're safe in my opinion. I'd have no problem living in those areas myself.
Like anywhere, there are crimes, but overall, they're safe places to live.

I hope you'll enjoy living in WI!

Thanks! I've read mixed reviews from some people on here – granted the posts were from several years ago. They claimed that Appleton had very rude drivers. Personally I've never witnessed anything like that the few times we've been up there. Actually I've found people fairly respectful of others.

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 06-12-2016, 01:12 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesswork View Post
Thanks! I've read mixed reviews from some people on here – granted the posts were from several years ago. They claimed that Appleton had very rude drivers. Personally I've never witnessed anything like that the few times we've been up there. Actually I've found people fairly respectful of others.

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
I suppose it depends on the day. I find that when there are Packer games on, people tend to be more rude while driving. Maybe they're in a hurry or something, I don't know. And if the Packers lose, Good Lord, people take it really personally. But overall, compared to other areas of the country, I think you'll find that Appleton area isn't so terrible for driving. People just like venting, I think.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 5,830 times
Default is Appleton, Neenah/Menasha safe?

DO NOT move into the 5 Oaks Park. There are thieves who live here and steal from your mailbox and vehicle. It used to be nice.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:02 PM

On a side note, I recall from one trip during a visit to the local Woodman's (an absolutely FANTASTIC grocery store I might say) we overheard one of the employees telling another how they liked when the Packers had a game because the store was empty.

As a cheese enthusiast, wow your cheese selections are truly no joke. Here the cheese aisle in any given grocery store consists of a tiny forgotten section with a mere two choices: Kraft and the store-brand.

I've not spent much time in GB, except once when we brought our kids to Bay Beach (I may have the name wrong). Does Green Bay offer the same kind of life found in Appleton/Neenah?

Old 06-12-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannablackwell View Post
DO NOT move into the 5 Oaks Park. There are thieves who live here and steal from your mailbox and vehicle. It used to be nice.

Thank you – Good to know, I will avoid it. That is very unfortunate. I wouldn't think of those types of crimes happening in your part of Wisconsin...

Are property crimes common in any other part of the Fox Cities?

Old 06-13-2016, 08:08 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
I am familiar with the areas and my son lived in Neenah for a few years and it was great town. Overall I would say it is very safe. The largest of three is Appleton, and it probably has the most significant crime rate, consisting largely of petty thefts and gang crimes.

A friend is an officer in Appleton and he moved from school liaison to gang unit a little over a year ago. There is a fair amount of gang activity, although mostly minor theft and nonviolent crimes. I would not fear moving to Appleton or any of the surrounding area, but would just want to be aware.

As a side note, I looked at southern IN a few years ago and almost made a move there to work in Louisville and commute in from S IN side of river. Favorite place to eat is Buckheads Grill, Jeffersonville.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:40 AM

1,081 posts, read 548,428 times
When I moved here, I used to read the police blotter. "Neighbor threw birdseed on the other neighbors roof to attract birds..." "Complaint of nerf-darts being shot over the fence..." It was downright shocking (/sarcasm.)

Neenah, Menasha police blotter: June 8

Downtown Appleton does draw a fair amount of homeless, mentally ill, and pedophiles due to the charity services centered there. Outside of downtown, it's safe.

There are a few wacky crimes in the Appleton area ("man running down interstate naked at 6am on a Sunday") but as others have stated it's mostly petty theft or drug possession/intent to sell.

I did catch a couple of teenage boys tugging on parked car handles a few months back. They were opportunity-thieves; unlocked cars with change in the ashtray. This was an affluent neighborhood and the boys definitely weren't impoverished.

I moved here three years ago and I love it here. I see people out walking or jogging alone from 5am - 10pm. There is a sense of safeness here. It has that 1970's family neighborhood feel where kids can roam free from ages 6+.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:22 AM

647 posts, read 1,663,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesswork View Post
On a side note, I recall from one trip during a visit to the local Woodman's (an absolutely FANTASTIC grocery store I might say) we overheard one of the employees telling another how they liked when the Packers had a game because the store was empty.

As a cheese enthusiast, wow your cheese selections are truly no joke. Here the cheese aisle in any given grocery store consists of a tiny forgotten section with a mere two choices: Kraft and the store-brand.

I've not spent much time in GB, except once when we brought our kids to Bay Beach (I may have the name wrong). Does Green Bay offer the same kind of life found in Appleton/Neenah?

If you are a cheese enthusiast, then you must go to an actual cheese store, where the packaging is done. One of the best ones that I've been to is Dairy State cheese (Dairy State Cheese | Cheesemaker & Retail Outlet | Rudolph, WI). There are many around and maybe some that will be closer to you, but this is where you get the good, fresh, cheese.

Enjoy....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin