Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 08:32 AM

10 posts, read 14,941 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm thinking of moving from out of state to Wausau for a year. From what I've read and seen (I haven't visited yet because it's an 18 hour drive from where I am now), Wausau seems like the perfect place for me to have my own little adventure just for the year. With that said, I'm a little worried about the winters. I used to live in Maine so I'm used to snow, but I've been living in the south for a while and I just bought a hybrid that sits a little low to the ground. I don't know if I'll have the cash for snow tires (especially if I'm only living there for a year).

So, those of you who are used to central Wisconsin winters, how much of a bad idea is this? Will my dinky hybrid be incredibly salt-encrusted and end up fishtailing all around during the long winters?

Any help would be appreciated!! Wausau seems perfect for me other than the long winters, but my car is a serious concern of mine. (Side question, do people find the winters depressing or are there still lots of activities for people to do?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 06:08 AM

10 posts, read 14,941 times
Alternatively, if anybody knows of places that are extremely similar to Wausau but are in the mid-Atlantic region or closer to the east coast, let me know! :]

Old 06-20-2016, 07:02 AM

306 posts, read 336,523 times
I've lived within twenty miles of Wausau for almost ten years now. It's really not that bad. Marathon County does a good job of keeping the roads in manageable condition. Wausau doesn't receive lake effect snow, so it doesn't get nearly as much as, say, Minocqua. Wausau is a nice town, and I wouldn't suggest against it.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:11 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,948 times
Don't worry about your car. WI has snow removal down to a science and I'm whiling to bet your hybrid (model?) is front wheel drive. Between those two things, you'll probably only be troubled a few days out of the winter. If you really want to do it right, buy some snow tires of Craigslist for ~$300, and just sell them if/when you move.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:13 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
All my winter-time visits to Wausau were in a compact sedan with all season tires. Only time I had an issue was in the world's worst sleet/freezing rain downpour.

If you're living on a back country dirt road on the outskirts, or wanting to visit your hunting camp, then sure, you'll want a truck. In the city they plow and sand as needed. You might have issues in a major event, but for general function your car will be fine. [Though you should carry a shovel, perhaps some cat litter, and of course jumper cables or one of those newfangled jumpers just in case]

North country winters are about getting outdoors when you can, and packing the bar for beer and fish fry when you can't.

That said, I'm not entirely clear on why you've picked Wausau for your adventures. Thus it's hard to suggest alternatives. Perhaps you like towns with 6 letters in the name, or hometowns of Silicon Valley execs who write NY Times best sellers.

Is it the scale...? Do you have a job offer? Are you trying to be close to something?

Old 06-20-2016, 02:18 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
I will say that Wausau doesn't exactly jump to mind as the first place I could go for a year and just fit right into the social life, and that's despite a lot of history in WI. It's not a college town, it's a pretty stable population.

And it doesn't sound like you know anyone locally or possible even in WI/MN.

It could take you a while to work your way into the community.

Now, if you hunt, attend church, work in the high school, etc. that might not be an impassable hurdle.

Even within that part of the state, why not Appleton or even Point, or Eau Claire (easier day-trip to the TC)?

Old 06-20-2016, 02:53 PM

10 posts, read 10,624 times
I've driven countless winters with a Ford Focus.. i have no issues and those cars aren't the greatest in the snow. The more important thing is a good set of tires.

Salt? Yes...its thick and disgusting and when you go to wash your car, it will snow/sleet/rain the next day and be coated again.

Wausau? Never been there...but i know people from there. Its going to be a colder area to live (vs a Madison/Milwaukee/southwest WI). If you like to fish you're near a lot of lakes... other then that. Can't help you.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:44 AM

904 posts, read 665,504 times
I drive a Honda Civic. For the past 3 years I worked in Stevens Point and then this year in Wausau. I live out in the country in Kronenwetter. Never had a problem getting to work safely. Slow down and be cautious and it is not a bad commute.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:07 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,288 times
The car is not a worry, unless you plan on living out in the sticks somewhere. Most roads are cleared well enough to manage even the more sever winter weather. I grew up an hour north of there and can tell you it is beautiful, even in winter. There are loads of activities, if you like to be outdoors and bundle up appropriately.

Granite Peak (Rib Mountain to us that knew it as such) is great, lakes and rivers in the summer, and beautiful fall colors. Can you offer some info on why Wausau is on your radar and what makes it such a perfect location for you?

Old 07-03-2016, 03:40 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,392,799 times
I think it shouldn't be to bad of a problem unless if the roads are that bad due to ice and slush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin