Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2007, 12:10 PM

25 posts, read 109,692 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My husband and I are looking for a place to relocate and we think that we would like to focus on Racine, WI. It looks to be very pretty with the lake and all. My husband is a design engineer and we are wondering if some of the local people in Racine could direct us toward some good companies in the area to work at? We are wanting to find a company that offers a good work life balance such as flex time.
Thank you for all suggestions, it is very much appreciated!
Theresa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 05:25 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
living between Madison, Racine, and Milwaukee by @ 50 miles each for about 20 years, I can tell you how I would rate your chances + views + quality of life + job potential---- 1a Madison, 1b Milwaukee, 3 Racine. From a purely economic stand point, Madison and the outlying Milwaukee areas (Mequon, Pewaukee, Brookfield, Germantown ect.) will have more white collar jobs. Madison has 2 large lakes by it, plus the Wisconsin Dells is only 50 miles away. If I could afford to move back, and stomach the liberal capital of America, I would go to Madison area - anytime. As far as companies, start with SC Johnson.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:34 AM

25 posts, read 109,692 times
Thank you so much for taking the time to repy to my questions! Do you know if the lakes in Madison are clean to swim, boat in? We were originally focusing our attention on Madison and then I read that the lakes were not real clean. We want to be in an area where we can take our kids to the beach.
We have heard that SC Johnson is a really great place to work. Do you happen to know anyone that has worked there?
Also, is Racine a progressive thinking area?
Again, thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions, it is very much appreciated!
Theresa

Old 12-30-2007, 11:17 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
I have boated in the lakes by Madison, plus my niece was part of a sailing club from the hospital she worked at. Madison is very proud of their two lakes and are doing as much as possible to keep their lakes and beaches clean.
As far as personally knowing somebody working for SC Johnson, not that I'm aware of.
Can you expand on "Racine a progressive thinking area"? How would you define progressive?

Old 12-31-2007, 08:33 AM

9 posts, read 130,929 times
My husband worked for SC Johnson for a little less than a year. There are a lot of perks for being an employee there (namely the Johnson Store in Racine - all SC Johnson products are ridiculously cheap...we got $.25 air fresheners there once!!) and great benefits, but they are very particular about their company "image." Unfortunately, they're not quite sure what that image is. One day you may fit what they're looking for; the next day you don't. My husband got tired of this, resigned, and went into a completely different field, where he is much happier!

I've heard from more than one source that SC Johnson has a reputation in this area for being a rather "stuffy" and unfriendly company, so keep that in mind.

But if you think you could fit in in a more formal, corporate environment, give it a try - like I said, they do have great benefits and perks for employees and their families!!

Old 12-31-2007, 12:43 PM

1,085 posts, read 3,568,079 times
Another company in Racine is Caterpillar. My ex-brother in law worked there, he seemed quite happy with his job.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:19 PM

40 posts, read 400,172 times
I haven't heard of any Caterpillar locations in Racine. Perhaps Hntr meant CNH Case New Holland? They have quite a few locations throughout Racine. Very nice company to work for--I interned there.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 6,833 times
Default One of the top 10 companies to work for is based in Racine

I'm not sure what a design engineer does exactly. But there are many great companies to work for here. SC Johnson, Modine, Twin Disc, Case Tractor (CNH)

Old 03-09-2008, 03:12 PM

2 posts, read 10,313 times
Default working and living in Racine

The economy in Racine is below average for the state and there are not great opportunities here. I'd say the best places to work here in terms of salary and benefits are: SC Johnson, Modine, Twin Disc, and Case Tractor (CNH). Some of my neighbors currently work for or retired from those companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin