Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 11:04 PM

4 posts, read 8,756 times

Advertisements

me and my wife are planning to relocate to the area from Indiana in September we are sick of Indiana
the high cost of living the rude folks just Ready to start-over fresh with that being out of the way let me get to the basic stuff i work in manufacturer she work in Retail.don't really know what to say ill just make a list of what we are looking for

1.how is the manufacturer jobs out there is the pay fairly good (lots of layoffs not that many manufacturing)
2.how is the Retail jobs there
3.we are wanting to rent for now is there alot of places that rent between $500 -600 a month wanting live in a safe area of course
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 07:03 AM

306 posts, read 336,590 times
Wausau does have jobs in both manufacturing and retail. I'm not going to say you'll make a great living, but you can definitely make a living here on them. The cost of living in the Wausau area is relatively low compared to the rest of the country, with housing costing less than half of the US average. You can definitely rent for 500-600/mo. Wausau is safe, there isn't a dangerous or unsafe area.

Wausau is a nice area for sure, it's got things to do, and it's close to vacationland. Good luck!

Old 07-26-2016, 09:29 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,750 times
Probably need to narrow down things a little bit. What type of housing do you need or want (# of bedrooms) and how far are you willing to commute? Steady manufacturing jobs and rent at/near $600 monthly is going to be tough. Doable but tough. If you want to live in one of the smaller cities/towns nearby, there are more options that may hit your numbers as far as housing but the commute comes into play.

As No Happy already mentioned, Wausau is a nice area and close to a lot of outdoor activities, with very little areas that have more than petty crime.

I am curious what part of Indiana you are looking to get away from, as Kentuckiana was on my list to move to when leaving WI for career opportunities.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:04 PM

Default reply

we live in Evansville area southwest part of Indiana close to Kentucky line been alot of layoff here
the only way you can really get a job here is though a temp service...i should said what kinda of rental we are looking for.prefer an apartment like a 1 bedroom 2 bedrooms at the maxs dont mind commute around 35-45 mins away

Old 07-26-2016, 03:40 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,750 times
I am very familiar with Evansville, as it was part of my territory when I managed with the American Red Cross as well as for United Companies (Professional Transportation). You would love Wausau area by comparison if you like natural beauty and don't mind winter. Stevens Point may also be worth looking at as it is just south of Wausau and has a university campus (branch of UW) there and Sentry insurance dumps money into the economy.

I grew up 60 miles north of Wausau and have a brother in Wausau as well. It is a pretty nice little city, and you can live there on modest income.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:43 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Oh I had to live in Evansville for awhile (and Madisonville further South). Just get out, whatever you have to do.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:53 PM

26,408 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Wausau area has many nice areas just outside of town, quite a bit more "neat and tidy" up that way compared to Evansville..
Rib Mountain, Kronenwetter, and short drive to Stevens Point- a nice town. I used to live in Wisconsin and presently live right by Louisville in southern Indiana. I will be in this area for another year at least. I'm not a fan of the Ohio Valley, there are too many things that are off about it.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:57 PM

647 posts, read 1,663,880 times
The Wausau area is a nice place to live with a lot of outdoor activities during all times of the year. Look towards the outskirts of town and not right in the downtown area for places to live. There are a lot of manufacturing places in the area. Ones that come to mind are: Greenheck, SNE, Crystal Finishing, Kolbe and Kolbe. No idea on the wages, but I believe Greenheck pays the most and is the hardest to get into. I don't think finding a place for $500-$600 should be hard to find. Not sure about the retail side as far as jobs, but Dick's sporting goods is opening soon and just saw a sign that they were hiring. Their located in Rib Mt.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:19 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
You might want to be looking at the rural area between Stevens Point and Wausau - southern Marathon County and Northern Portage County. Then you can expand your job search to both cities, and you can find some great properties cheaper than in either city. I grew up there, and live near where you're moving from. I think you're going to be very happy with the new location.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:47 PM

Default took a trip

hello all thanks for the reply me and the wife just got back from the beautiful state of Wisconsin wished we could have stayed longer.we loved the city of wausau .wife love the city of eau-claire so between those two which one would be great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin