Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 09:36 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times

Advertisements

A snowblower and a couple of sturdy snow shovels will be the first things I buy once I get settled. Fortunately, I have a son who lives with us. He has autism, but fortunately its not a physical handicap, so he can shovel snow just as well as he can cut grass.

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I've already looked at Lakewood area, and that we're definitely going to check out.

Last comment tonight. I've looked all over the nation for a climate that is moderate and would fit our needs, but where also it will not be so bad for my wife's allergies. Well, nothing really fit the bill. So northern Wis. would be much better for her allergies, and since every place has some nice times of the year and some not so nice, we ended up deciding on Wis. Plus we've decided we can take the cold better than the heat, especially as we've gotten older.

And a snow storm or a week of rainy weather isn't going to make our life miserable. Once you retire, you can just sit back and let it snow, and if its a day or two before you get out, no problem. If you have a stretch of bad weather in summer, no big deal, because you've got every day off. So you just wait till decent weather returns and then you can go back to fun.

Back in the late 80's we lived in Waukesha county, which we loved. Back then I was also really into summer sports. I had a sail boat and I played golf. So I really looked forward to summer. One year we had rain 7 summer weekends in a row, so no golf or sailing. Then Monday morning, back to work and the weather was perfect all week long, till the weekend and then it would rain again. Now if that happened, no problem. I can play golf on Mon. and Tues. too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 06:02 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
I had grandparents that retired to the Mountain/Lakewood area and I loved visiting them back in my teens. Plenty of things to do outdoors, being in the Nat'l Forest. It's been decades since I've been up there, so couldn't say what it is like now but back then it was quiet and seemed to be very 'rural' as far as population (#'s) and amenities went.
Only things i'd bring up for someone looking to retire up in those areas; would be to keep an eye on tree pollen if that is one of the allergy concerns and understand if living where it's all overhead utility lines then it can be possible for longer outages during storms (and in winter). So just need to ensure you are prepared.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:07 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
I also grew up in Wi and have a few suggestions. My mother is still in Hazelhurst and has refused to move due to the excellent medical care and the fact that it is the lowest taxed municipality in the state. No services, but low taxes.

Look south of Hazelhurst, Harhaw or Willow Flowage areas have lots of open space yet, but are close enough to the conveniences of hospitals and clinics in Minocqua or Wausau. Areas near (not right in) Lake Tomahawk that are on or near smaller bodies of water instead of the bigger lakes are still nice without the massive tourist influx in the summer.

Your Park Falls idea could be good, although I may recommend the Pike Lake chain of lakes off Hwy 70 if you truly want the quiet side of the northwoods. It would give you access to Park Falls to the west and Minocqua/Woodruff to the east.

What about going to some of the areas outside Eau Claire or La Crosse? The Mississippi River towns offer some nice options, along with Black River Falls or areas near there. Further north, along Hwy 53 there is a lot of little towns with not much but the peace and quiet. Even Ashland, if you really don't mind winter, has a lot of natural beauty.

Good luck.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:41 AM

903 posts, read 663,749 times
We moved from Chicago 29 years ago. I like Park Falls and Phillips.
Snow and cold never bother us. In fact we get less snow then I thought we would. My Mom was born here and said when she was born in November they were snowed in for winter. Sure doesn't happen like that now. Last year we didn't get snow until right before Christmas. I think the snow mobile trails opened for a week or 2. Other years they are open from December-March but more often it is a shorter season.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:05 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
What about going to some of the areas outside Eau Claire or La Crosse? The Mississippi River towns offer some nice options, along with Black River Falls or areas near there. Further north, along Hwy 53 there is a lot of little towns with not much but the peace and quiet. Even Ashland, if you really don't mind winter, has a lot of natural beauty.

Good luck.
I posted a map previously that indicated the highest average annual snowfall amounts are in the Iron Belt of Wisconsin, in Iron County- so Hurley averages the most snowfall of any town in the state, usually over 150 inches a season. However, that is the most rural county in the state in terms of population density.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:57 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
I just looked at the Hazelhurst area. The home prices are a real kick in the teeth compared to much of northern Wis. That's one reason I want to stay out of the high tourist areas. So you save on taxes but they get you on the other end with the home prices.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:58 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I just looked at the Hazelhurst area. The home prices are a real kick in the teeth compared to much of northern Wis. That's one reason I want to stay out of the high tourist areas. So you save on taxes but they get you on the other end with the home prices.
Go ten miles south, between Hazelhurst and Tomahawk, with Cassian township, Goodnow, Woodboro, or a little west along Hwy 8 including areas of Brantwood or Tripoli.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:26 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times

Old 08-02-2016, 09:27 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times

Old 08-19-2016, 05:11 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times
Give a real close look at the location of good medical facilities. It will make a huge difference in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin