U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 09:56 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,197,403 times

Advertisements

Not a Green Bay fan, not even a fan of the NFL any longer, it's such a crock.

Anyhow, Green Bay is one of those teams that has a national fan base along with Pittsburgh, Dallas, and Oakland. Those seem to be what I call the "Big Four". It's not a daily occurrence to see someone wearing a Vikings hat outside of Minnesota, or a Rams hat outside of... wherever the Rams are this year.

I've lived all over the country being a military brat and a veteran myself who has moved around the country as my job dictates. Pick a place anywhere in the USA and you'll run into fans of those four teams. Many of whom have never set foot in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, California or Texas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 08:15 AM

111 posts, read 75,801 times
When I was 8 years old my old man turned on a football game. It was the Packers vs. I can't remember. He spent the first two quarters explaining the game to me (I was 8) and then he offered to bet me near the end of the second half. I didn't even know what betting was so he explained it to me. The other team had 6 on the board and Greenbay had 0, but I decided to longshot it and I bet $1 (the world to 8yo me) vs. a week of doing the dishes (Eternal hellfire and damnation to 8yo me). GB came back in the second half and won the game with four TD's. I have been a Packers fan ever since. I don't really care about or watch any sports, but if the Packers are on I will watch. He never did pay me that dollar, so when he passed some years ago I took a dollar from his wallet.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:04 AM
sub

4,642 posts, read 2,757,068 times
Novelty, nostalgia, I guess?
Just some ideas:
The Packers are a remnant of a bygone era when small towns could have NFL teams. Surely some fans are intrigued by that.
Now, it's Wisconsin's team, Green Bay is only a couple hours from a huge portion of the populace, so the local fan base is there.
They built a winning reputation years ago, probably pulling in a lot of fans who have no idea where Green Bay is.
So, a small-town team and a winning reputation, people seem to relate to that.
As a transplanted Chiefs fan, that's my best guess anyway.

Old 08-23-2021, 06:03 PM

3,796 posts, read 5,951,533 times
Don’t know if anyone’s mentioned this yet, but half of both Minnesota and Michigan are Packers fans. I know because I’ve lived in both states…..and all you have to do is go to a game in Minneapolis or Detroit to see how huge the GB fan bases are there. Probably has a lot to do with the Lions and Vikings being perennial failures for as far back as anyone can remember, but it is what it is…..Cheeseheads are everywhere in those places.

Old 08-26-2021, 12:07 PM

2,183 posts, read 593,424 times
I've met people in Canada and California who were Packers fans. If you travel through Wisconsin, you'll see Packers merchandise displayed just about everywhere, no matter how far away from Green Bay you might be.

I recently found myself in the vicinity of Lambeau Field on Packers Family Night and there were thousands of people milling the streets, trying to find places to park for miles out. The people in the surrounding neighborhoods took advantage, allowing parking on their lawns (charging a nominal fee) and it was very palpable, the excitement people had. I drive past Lambeau Field every week and am amazed by the turnout for home games. You have to time your travels around the games if you don't want to be stuck in after-game traffic. I used to plan when I would do my errands because during Packers games, stores would be virtually empty.

Old 08-26-2021, 03:08 PM

2,451 posts, read 3,489,198 times
I have found GB Packer fans in Shanghai and in Nuremburg Germany. We are literally EVERYWHERE.

I was walking on the beach here in Oregon a few years ago. Had a Packer sweatshirt on.

Two guys were walking toward me, one guy had a Seahawks hat on. (A large fanbase here as Seattle is only 3 hrs. north.)

The other guy, seeing my sweatshirt; opened his jacket to reveal a packer t-shirt. We laughed and high-fived each other.

The other guy - seeing us do that - swore and said something like: "You guys are everywhere. After the thermonuclear war, there will be only two things left on this planet: 1.) cockroaches and 2) Packer fans."

We agreed.

Old 08-26-2021, 04:57 PM

18,670 posts, read 9,021,858 times
Doesnt the city and the people of green bay literally own the team?

Old 08-26-2021, 05:16 PM

16,670 posts, read 6,517,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Interesting article!

https://www.sportscasting.com/who-ow...n-bay-packers/

Old 08-27-2021, 04:05 AM

6,368 posts, read 3,567,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
We have a winner!..A miserable team in the 50s, they were about to fold but then offered stock to the public. Everyone in GB bought a share or two to save the team...

Then in the 60s, they became the almost invincible force, winning 6 of 8 West Conf titles and 5 World Championships (also came close in '63 despite their biggest star sitting in the corner for one season for misbehaving.)

Personally, as a native Chicagoan, I became a Packer fan in '59 when the Cardinals left the city--just couldn't bring myself to be a Bears fan...Now retired to WI just in time to see the NFL become another propaganda outlet for the communists. ..I'll never pay attention to them again.

...not to mention, it's become such a sissified game...What's up with this using your hands to block and not leading with your head? Why, when I was young, we used to go helmet to helmet all the time , and,,,and,,and..what was I just talking about again?

Old 01-28-2022, 03:20 AM

4,667 posts, read 2,171,650 times
In 1875, Keokok, Iowa, had a major league baseballl tean, in a league with New York and Chicago. They paid the $20 league franchise fee, went 1-12, and folded. The New Yorkers tool a train all the way to Keokuk, and beat the Westerns, 1-0, who then fold, but really appeared to be fairlycompetitive.

Keokuk is now the size of Reedsburg, Tomah or New Richmond
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin