Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 01:20 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,857,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellstone View Post
I would say that a large number of people up until college age have their political views originate from their parents, depending somewhat on what the status of their relationship of their parents is. If they attend college, they certainly think more for themselves and are exposed to many more viewpoints. If a change occurs, it is likely to be then or shortly thereafter.

In my case, I started in a conservative, religious household, but partisan politics was extremely irritating to me. I looked at the newspaper section that (back then) showed how local representatives voted, and was annoyed by the fact that nearly every single one went along party lines. So I started out leaning conservative with an anti incumbent bias.

After going to college and taking several economics courses and other electives, it became very clear why things are the way they are, and which side seemed to have the facts and research on their side the majority of the time. I did stay fairly independent until my late 20s, but the Bush admin changed that, probably permanently. Having religion jammed down my throat and later gaining the freedom to get away from it played a role in my shift as well.

To me that Churchill quote represents the closed mindedness of conservatives. They indeed are the ones in the bubble with their own sources of news and alternative facts, but are largely incapable of independent thinking.
YOU CHANGED YOUR VIEWS.
That is the point - people do change viewpoints based on experiences, exposure to different thought, people etc.

Most of us do.
That is the rebuttal to the idea that "the younger generation is more liberal and open than the older one."
Maybe true - but it is not a static position and never will be.

At one time in my life, I was brainwashed to believe government could be a power for good. Now I am smarter, know much more and realize that way of thinking is an exercise in futility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 04:58 AM

279 posts, read 760,341 times
Based on your recent posting history, it does not appear that you have gotten smarter, but certainly more ignorant.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:48 AM

404 posts, read 480,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellstone View Post
Count me in the group that says our system is trash. Obama made it slightly less terrible but it is still awful.
Word.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:01 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Yeah, what a smokin deal Obamacare is! The "affordable" care act with "choices" for coverage. My premiums went up an affordable $429 this year. Or was it $459? I don't even remember or care at this point. Apparently the underwriting losses were so catastrophic in my home county that all of the insurers pulled out except for one, leaving us with basically no "choice". One other private non-marketplace policy is available, but in that case, it costs just as much.
I think if you Google for the Aetna lies about its merger with Cigna you might see that insurance companies pull of of markets and SAY it is because they are losing money---can't afford to continue to offer coverage there--
But that is NOT what is happening at all...
Aetna pulled out of several areas in FL claiming they were losing money and the Aetna people in charge of those operations had no clue what their bosses were talking about--they WERE making money selling ACA...

Insurance companies DON"T WANT the ACA to succeed ---they want to gain monopolies, cut competition, and have a clear path to even MORE profits than in the past...

And this new TrumpCare bill Paul Ryan and other GOP blood-suckers are pushing is likely to give them just that opportunity...

Old 03-13-2017, 05:14 PM

The assumption above is that people don't change. For the most part people DO change as they age.
The hippies of the 60's are the conservative retirees of today.
This phenomena is true for the majority of folks and will not change.

I am 68--
I wasn't a hippie in the 60 or 70s didn't smoke dope or go to Woodstock
but I did protest the war on my college campus, taught in a "ghetto" school, voted for McGovern, and still would not vote for any Republican running for national office--

In my home state (TX) sometimes you have to vote for the least repugnant Republican candidate in some races because there is no Democrate running--
So for the State Board of Education (very important in trying to keep creationists off our educational state board) I have to choose the lesser of 2 or 3 evils...

My local state representative--not Congress rep--is a guy who believes that marital rape is not a crime because men can't rape their wives--God gave them dominion over them...
I don't consider someone like that "conservative" as much as Cro Magnon...

Barry Goldwater warned about the danger of allowing "preachers" to take over the GOP and that is what happened...
The social conservatives first took over the GOP with the anti-abortion ground swell and moved on to include the racist, xenophobic alt-right...
Trump began his national rise as a candidate after he because one of the most prominent faces in the movement to deligitimize Obama as president by challenging his birthplace--

The GOP claims it is the "moral majority" which is just the most hypocritical coming from people who hide behind religion w/o any empathy, compassion, and real moral values...

Old 03-14-2017, 07:27 AM

747 posts, read 839,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Barry Goldwater warned about the danger of allowing "preachers" to take over the GOP and that is what happened...
The social conservatives first took over the GOP with the anti-abortion ground swell and moved on to include the racist, xenophobic alt-right...
Trump began his national rise as a candidate after he because one of the most prominent faces in the movement to deligitimize Obama as president by challenging his birthplace--

The GOP claims it is the "moral majority" which is just the most hypocritical coming from people who hide behind religion w/o any empathy, compassion, and real moral values...

Yeah, that pretty much explains it all.... Great post!

Old 03-21-2017, 11:09 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times
This psycopath leads hard core gop degenerates to dismantle Medicaid together with Obamacare followed by mega tax cuts for the rich. The pervs are tremendously excited to have one in a life time opportunity to cash it big on misery and death.
While Nobody's Watching, Paul Ryan Is Taking A Sledgehammer To Medicaid's Promise To Seniors | The Huffington Post

Old 03-21-2017, 11:45 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,484,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not true at all. People are routinely turned away for not having insurance.

I don't know a single person in Canada, UK, Denmark, etc that don't love their system. They pay less and receive more.

We pay more than everywhere else per capita, and receive far worse results and worse coverage. Our system plain out sucks.
Unless you are an illegal alien.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
Unless you are an illegal alien.
I don't know about that but I know that a couple of years ago our son and daughter in law were traveling in Vienna, Austria where there is state health care---
She became ill--had to have medical attention--
She fainted at the Lippenzauner assembly
They had ambulance come out there and she had a doctor meet her at her hotel
They were charged nothing...

You do realize that many, many of the undocumented, illegals in this country have been using SS numbers for work that don't belong to them---they have paid into SS and Medicare for years using those illegal numbers so the government has had the benefit of those collected taxes
In states where there are state taxes for state income tax like CA I imagine they have paid into state systems and EARNED some measure of reciprocation for state services...

Moving those people OUT of the US is going to impact at some level tax revenues because those people aren't working and having their taxes paid out...
And I admit that some of them are working totally off the legal system and only getting cash in hand, sans any kind of taxes...but there are others who have paid into the system and would never be allowed to collect any SS earnings or Medicare/Medicaid benefits because those programs do require proof of citizenship...

Old 03-29-2017, 12:15 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
There is one area of health care that you absolutely want undocumented people (and all people) to have - preventive public health. To have a large group of people who don't have access to vaccinations exposes everyone to communicable diseases. And for those that don't have effective vaccines, like TB, you want these people to be treated. To deny this would be to expose the American public to a lot of risk. In addition, if you have undocumented women who are denied prenatal care, you may end up with babies born with medical problems and/or disabilities. And those babies are citizens who will need to be taken care of. It is very short sighted to deny all undocumented people any health care. It is similarly short sighted to pass any law that deprived poor and lower income citizens health care for the same reasons. If that goes too far, the rich will have to lock themselves away to stay away from massive epidemics. There are also costs to society for masses of drug addicted people who can get no treatment. There are other examples as well. The conservatives who don't want to pay for anyone else's health care should consider that the health of the country in general will affect them one way or another. If only for selfish reasons, they should not want the level of care to drop too low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin