U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 01:58 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,626,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbethanie02 View Post
if you're not from area no need to comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
Sadly, none of the responders are actually in Wisconsin.
Spent the last three decades living South East WI before moving to my current location...but okay. No help wanted, no help will be given.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 04:13 PM

2,116 posts, read 2,361,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Spent the last three decades living South East WI before moving to my current location...but okay. No help wanted, no help will be given.
"Princess" disappeared anyway. Likely troll.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,304 times
Hello there! Long time sheboygan resident here. Sheboygan is known as the "city" amongst the small towns and villages. Job market is limited to a handful of big family owned manufacturing companies with poor economic futures. Kohler company dominates on the top and has had a large influence on the community. City population has stayed consistently at around 50,000 for 60 years but is gradually shrinking. Basically a Flint Michigan, but not yet dead nor growing.

30-40k a year is sustainable for a family here. As a result many people here are tightwads. Apartment prices have been on the increase because of transplants like yourself which these large companies lure in with pity pay or to fill jobs that the locals can't. Most new building here are restaurants or some form of service. Majority here don't have a higher education. Lakeland university has a campus here along with, a tech school out near manitowoc, and Sheboygan's university extension center. The Town of Kohler has one of the top rated highschools.

You'll find that most of the entertainment here consists of drinking alcohol, or some form of outdoor physical activity but only between the months of June-September. The culture here is stagnant but seen a revitalization in the past couple of years. Only 1 movie theater, an Art Musuem donated by Kohler, and a preforming arts center which is basically for old people. Milwaukee the largest city is around 40min away.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:54 PM

8,153 posts, read 20,697,147 times
No offense but saying it's basically Flint, Michigan strikes me as someone who has never been to Flint and has only read about it and seen pictures. I'm no Super Sheboygan Supporter but that's not even a close assessment of Sheboygan.

Looking Sheboygan's largest employers it is very impressive for a county that size of 116,000. I would say it has a wide selection of jobs and careers and some very good well known companies like Kohler, Sargento, Aurora Medical Group, Acuity, Johnsonville sausage, Bemis, Nemak, Piggly Wiggly Midwest, Rockline, Millpore-Sigma.

Last edited by Milwaukee City; 05-26-2017 at 10:07 PM..

Old 05-27-2017, 08:22 PM

3,198 posts, read 11,764,087 times
One quality of life factor in Sheboygan's favor is its scenic stretch of Lake Michigan lakeshore geography which really is stunning. One of the downsides to Sheboygan's Lake Michigan lakeshore proximity is that Sheboygan can feel very chilly in the spring or even parts of the way-too-short-as-it-is summer.

One of the plus sides to Sheboygan is its small size: it is extremely easy to access and to get around. One of the downsides to Sheboygan is that same small size: it lacks the amenities and conveniences that larger metro areas can offer. Back to a plus side of Sheboygan offering the "small town" safety, feel, and vibe that folks who enjoy small town living would feel. Back to a downside of Sheboygan is that it is indeed a small town that is fairly isolated and if you are looking for those big city amenities, many of them are not there in Sheboygan.

One of the plus sizes (to me at least) is the geographic proximity of Sheboygan to metro Milwaukee, to be able to access things (such as the international airport) that would be desirable for most folks to access in a larger metro area. One of the downsides (to me at least) is again that geographic proximity of Sheboygan to metro Milwaukee which is just too far a commute/drive to make on a regular basis.

I would feel trapped, overly isolated and lonesome living in Sheboygan. But I would not like small town, ruralish living. Others love small town life and what it offers and thus would love Sheboygan.

One thing to just be aware of is that a high percentage of Sheboygan's residents have a lot of historical family and cultural ties to the area. There are not going to be a ton of transplants. Wisconsin residents in general, especially in its smaller towns, have a reputation for being quiet, private people who are automatically leery of people "not from here"...thus, you may experience a hard time socially acclimating unless you regularly go out of your way to acclimate socially. Just recognize that it isn't people being jackasses in nature...its more just a cultural/historic thing.

Good luck to you. Small town living is what it is. Some really enjoy it...others (such as myself) would feel too trapped, isolated, etc.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:04 PM

13 posts, read 39,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
OP (Oh Jeez) when you have a reputation of 14 and post a generic question with no details or backstory about moving and ask "What is job market, cost of living and education like?" - you leave yourself open to some scrutiny.

Ok, let's clarify. I spent most of the first 45 years of my life in Wisconsin. I have lived in Northern Wisconsin, Southern Wisconsin, rural tourism-based economy, and Milwaukee. I have hired and fired hundreds of employees managing statewide in a couple industries in Wisconsin, as well as lived through a year of unemployment in Wisconsin. So, thank you, I am fairly familiar with both the good and the bad in the state.

Medical field will be better than most, obviously, for employment. Depending on exactly what you do I know there is a hospital there that is part of the Aurora Health Care system. Aurora is a well liked employer by most, we have family and friends that work for them in areas around the state. West Bend also has a pretty good sized hospital and medical care facilities. Marketing and promotions employment may be a little tougher. I don't know a lot about that but suspect there may be more opportunities in the Fox Valley, Oshkosh, Appleton, or Neenah-Menasha.

The cost of living comparisons I am certain you saw in your research and I cannot really comment or compare since you still haven't given a reference to compare to, and the education system in the state is documented on most sites as one of the best in the country. If the darling daughter has a particular interest or passion that one high school may offer or that may be important then knowing that would be beneficial for people to comment more intelligently. Since I also have several of those (daughters) and have moved cross country with them, I do understand that challenge and would be willing to offer up pointers on how to handle the emotional trauma of moving a 14 year old 1200 miles as she is convinced you are ruining her life. If you prefer not to share any information regarding the daughter, that's fine also. Your privacy is always respected.

Good luck.

Well I wasn't exactly looking to give my life story. I just wanted a basic overview of Sheboygan. Didn't know I was asking for too much. Not worried about the workforce now. Jobs have been found and daughter is excited to get out of the God forsaken place. It's just a shame that people can't ask a simple question without being crucified. Just questions, that's all I had. I guess some people feel better about themselves thinking they made people feel bad. Thank you for information.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
"Princess" disappeared anyway. Likely troll.
Sorry, no trolls here. Haven't been checking in as I have a busy life right now preparing for the move and all. Lord, feels like high school all over again.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
One quality of life factor in Sheboygan's favor is its scenic stretch of Lake Michigan lakeshore geography which really is stunning. One of the downsides to Sheboygan's Lake Michigan lakeshore proximity is that Sheboygan can feel very chilly in the spring or even parts of the way-too-short-as-it-is summer.

One of the plus sides to Sheboygan is its small size: it is extremely easy to access and to get around. One of the downsides to Sheboygan is that same small size: it lacks the amenities and conveniences that larger metro areas can offer. Back to a plus side of Sheboygan offering the "small town" safety, feel, and vibe that folks who enjoy small town living would feel. Back to a downside of Sheboygan is that it is indeed a small town that is fairly isolated and if you are looking for those big city amenities, many of them are not there in Sheboygan.

One of the plus sizes (to me at least) is the geographic proximity of Sheboygan to metro Milwaukee, to be able to access things (such as the international airport) that would be desirable for most folks to access in a larger metro area. One of the downsides (to me at least) is again that geographic proximity of Sheboygan to metro Milwaukee which is just too far a commute/drive to make on a regular basis.

I would feel trapped, overly isolated and lonesome living in Sheboygan. But I would not like small town, ruralish living. Others love small town life and what it offers and thus would love Sheboygan.

One thing to just be aware of is that a high percentage of Sheboygan's residents have a lot of historical family and cultural ties to the area. There are not going to be a ton of transplants. Wisconsin residents in general, especially in its smaller towns, have a reputation for being quiet, private people who are automatically leery of people "not from here"...thus, you may experience a hard time socially acclimating unless you regularly go out of your way to acclimate socially. Just recognize that it isn't people being jackasses in nature...its more just a cultural/historic thing.

Good luck to you. Small town living is what it is. Some really enjoy it...others (such as myself) would feel too trapped, isolated, etc.
Thank you so much. I thoroughly enjoyed your insight and thank you for not being rude about it.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
So then why are you asking about the job market and cost of living if you've already got an abundance of resources and not worried about finding work? I think you forgot your original post.

You got follow up questions, then came back to argue that you didn't need answers to the questions you asked and didn't like who answered you. You asked about the job market, and cost of living. Then said you aren't worried about the job market or cost of living.

Exactly.

That isn't how the internet works, Princess.
So I see what I'm dealing with. Abundance of resources doesn't mean we can live without a means of income. While we do have resources to hold us over we will need jobs eventually which we have found since. I guess I have to be specific. We have enough resources to get us started so I wasn't overly worried about having a job going overthere. So yes, at the time I was curious about job market. It's always easy to be rude over the internet and that is not what the internet should be used for 43north87west.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:25 PM

I have the information that I need. Thank you to all the helpful individuals that didn't feel a need to be a smart***. It's nice to know you can ask questions and get adult answers. Again, thank you the helpful few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin