U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 10:18 AM

130 posts, read 129,493 times

Advertisements

I was born in WI but NH really appealed to me more. Don't get me wrong though I do still have some affection for WI but am 60-40 for NH. To the OP if you look in central NH or a little more rural southern areas you can find decent housing for a good price. We are living in the Oconomowoc area and I had to pay nearly $30,000 more for the house here than in NH where I lived in Deerfield. I love the fish fries here but the clams and lobster I could get are to die for. They will allow you privacy in NH and are a little harder to get to know but once you do they will be there for you. The ability to get to MA, VT, ME in a short period of time will allow you to take day trips whenever. Good luck to you on your decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 05:39 PM

22,152 posts, read 38,673,029 times
In terms of population age structure demographics, Door County, WI is a more northerly match for Barnstable County, MA. Both experience large seasonal population fluxes, have a high percentage elderly population, and have higher median housing prices- combined with large tourism based economy.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:16 PM

3,198 posts, read 11,763,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Thanks to everyone who replied. I think we are going to stick to NH because, as I wrote, we have been there very often and everything about NH appeals to us. It is just that the prices for the kind of home we want seem to be much lower in Wisconsin.
Well there you go. You have your decision already made for you. If your heart is set on an area in particular, why go in a different direction based on just one quality of life factor (i.e., cost of housing) among so many of them?

However, if it makes you feel better (without me doing a lot of research on home costs in New Hampshire), the property taxes are fairly substantial in Wisconsin. I would *guess* (and I admit that this is just a guess) in a state that is as fiercely independent and libertarian as New Hampshire infamously is, that property taxes are on average respectably lower. This would bridge the gap some between the cost of housing in NH versus WI. (For instance, for a similar sized house, I paid $1400 in property taxes in New Mexico versus the $5500 I have paid in WI; this makes a big difference when paying the mortgage regardless of the specific home cost).

Old 05-30-2017, 11:27 AM

38,727 posts, read 28,995,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
However, if it makes you feel better (without me doing a lot of research on home costs in New Hampshire), the property taxes are fairly substantial in Wisconsin. I would *guess* (and I admit that this is just a guess) in a state that is as fiercely independent and libertarian as New Hampshire infamously is, that property taxes are on average respectably lower. .

NH has high property taxes in general, because there is no state income tax or sales tax.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:33 PM

346 posts, read 351,609 times
Door county is all Illinoisans. I'd assume New Hampshire is all New Hampshirites.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt _farmer View Post
Door county is all Illinoisans. I'd assume New Hampshire is all New Hampshirites.

Not even close. Most of southern NH is Mass people. They are from MA and work in MA. Heck, the NH economy is dependent on MA.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:45 AM

190 posts, read 195,745 times
Obviously you've never been to Door County. People from everywhere including the west coast.A large population from Minn. and the St.Louis area also.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:30 PM

36 posts, read 40,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt _farmer View Post
I'll bet New Hampshire has more than a few "Mass"holes.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:31 AM

130 posts, read 129,493 times
It has way too many "Mass" holes

Old 06-07-2017, 08:58 AM

It's dependent on those so called "Mass"holes for its economy, and offsets the loony libertarian contingent a little
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin