Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 05:40 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,219 times

Advertisements

Hello! I was wondering if anyone from Wisconsin can give me any information or their thoughts on UW Platteville. I have been looking at their online Bachelors of Business Admin degree and since I live in Virginia this would work out perfectly for me. My husband and I are looking to move back to Wisconsin in about three years and I was always under the impression that WI employers look highly on degrees from WI schools. Any thoughts on this?

I'm currently attending Strayer University for a Bachelors degree in IT, however, the school is horribly expensive and even with tuition assistance from my employers, I could still get the UW - Platteville degree cheaper. Also, the school doesnt have a very high reputation like some other schools.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 09:14 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,687 times
Step son going there this fall but for engineering.Unsure on Business Admin have you checked other schools or are you moving into plattville

Old 03-08-2008, 09:16 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,590,468 times
I wouldn't say that WI employers prefer degrees from WI schools more than any other...but I'm sure there are some. I wonder if what you heard might have been a proposed incentive for UW students who remained in WI for a certain amt of time after graduating, seems to me that this incentive included some companies that would look more favorably on a UW degree. Not sure what ever happened with that, but it kind of sounds like the same thing you're saying.

I don't personally have any experience with UW-Platteville, but I have only ever heard VERY positive comments about it.

Good luck!

Old 03-09-2008, 09:37 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,770 times
I actually almost attended there (would've been a freshman around 95 or so). Toured the campus, etc., nice enough school.

WI_girl, I am sure you are fairly familiar with this, but Platteville is reputed in the state for its engineering program. It really appeals to engineering students.

I am like you...NOT an engineer...and ended up getting my business degree elsewhere at the last minute. My two good friends ended up going there for their engineering degrees however and overall had positive experiences.

I don't know...it is a decent school. I guess if I were going for a bachelor's degree via an online program in business, Platteville wouldn't be at the tops of my list, however, that really isn't a "knock" against the school, it just is what it is.

I wouldn't worry about WI employers preferring degrees from WI-based schools too much. WI continues to have an element of brain drain here and folks with solid professional credentials and a solid degree from a nice college/university with be in demand, whether it is from WI or not.

I am serious...I graduated from a 4-year college in WI and have worked over the past 10 years or so in various organizations both in WI and NM, and at this point, I am curious as to if they even notice on my resume if I have a degree or not anymore. And, if they do, they just want to ensure I have it, but really pay no attention to where it was from, even what the degree was in, etc.

Now, if you are talking the difference between a BA and an MBA, etc., then yes, that would make a big deal, but even then, I don't know if getting it from say, UVA instead of UW-Platteville would in any way influence them in the least, much less harm your chances.

If I were you on this one, I would go get the most cost-effective (yet still credible) program I could find. Good luck to you!!!

Old 07-25-2010, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,526 times
Hello everyone ;-)

I am new to the idea of gathering information from different on the internet, but desparate times calls for desparate measures. I am having some anxiety about starting a Masters degree in Project Management from the University of Wisconsin-Platteville. I understand that University of Wisconsin-Platteville specializes in engineering degrees but can anyone tell me how does their MS in PM stacks up in today's job market? Any and all responses are appreciated. Thanks in advance, "the curious one"

Old 07-26-2010, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,516 times
Hi, first post here. This topic caught my attention right away. I have worked at UWP for over 10 years and am not a company shill. Yes, the Engineering school is excellent. Other top undergrad programs are Criminal Justice and Accounting, also the various education and agriculture degree programs.

The on-campus Business Admin program is very good. They go the extra mile for students and really stress quality practical experience, which is what employers are looking for. There are no "teaching assistants" like at bigger schools. The professors and instructors work directly with the students.

The Distance Ed business programs are fine. They have online and print-based programs.

The online graduate Program Management is very highly rated by the Project Management Institute. I have watched it grow since it was in the planning stages. There are students taking Platteville's PM program from all over the world and believe me, they could take it anywhere but chose UWP for quality AND cost reasons.

I don't work in an academic office but do work with students taking these programs. It is really neat to see students you saw as freshmen come back for grad school or to apply for jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin