U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2017, 08:43 AM

10 posts, read 10,697 times

Advertisements

hello Everyone,
I don't know where to start my story... but I'll try to make it short...
after watching many tiny house tv shows my husband built one himself..
he did it without any permits, since it is on wheels he did not think he needed any... ( I know I know please don't judge, im here for advice) anyways he built it on the old trailer (from our old camper)
after a while our town got back to us that this kind of building is illegal..
my guessing it is too small and on wheels so they cant make us pay more taxes, after all its always about the money right?
our tiny house is done the right way, with the codes etc... its just small...
right now they are sending us a letter to remove it...
my thought was maybe there's a way to register it as a homemade RV???
anyone has any experience with that? or any ideas? anything??
I love this house, its perfect. we use it only few weekends during summer. (this is not permanent residential) it sits on our small land.
please help. im just brokenhearted... he worked so hard to built it...
thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 09:26 AM

3,855 posts, read 9,143,109 times
HI OP, there may be several points in play here to check into.
One could be putting a "new" trailer on your property vs an old/existing one. Local ordinances may have guidelines if this is able to be done (we actually can run into this on our land). Not sure how a "tiny home" fits in this but that may be part of what your township is looking into.
As for trying to register it, you'd have to check with the WI DMV to see what they say for what was done. It may tie into the info for the chassis that was used, but that is only a guess on my part.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:33 AM

2,178 posts, read 1,717,398 times
I think you need to place an appellation before the whatever authority is gone after you. The argument here is that it's not a "building" since it's moved around at least once in a while. You shouldn't register it either with the state as an RV, since it's not leaving your property. (Moving means - you hook it up, turn it to face another side, and in the process move a few yards from it's current location, or move it in one spot while you aren't there, and to your favorite location while you're there).

And as usual, once the authorities are after you, you probably need an attorney to fight them back.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:37 AM

2,178 posts, read 1,717,398 times
Another thought - hire a place for an RV storage (or ask your neighbors around if they would be OK to keep it on their property for a while), drive your house there for a month or two, contact that town and tell them that it has been removed and it is an RV and as such they have no authority to regulate it, get citation or whatever dismissed, then you can bring it back. I'd suggest also covering it up with a tarp while you aren't there. If whatever inspector comes, and cannot see what's under the tarp - maybe it would be a bit harder for them to issue a new citation.

I think the key here is to move your tiny house around once in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin