U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2017, 08:03 PM

8,158 posts, read 20,751,389 times

Advertisements

Fib: F****** Illinois Bastard.

Fishtab: F******* Illinois S***head towing a boat.

PS: don't shoot the messenger.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 11:24 PM

50 posts, read 82,230 times
Ignore the "FIB's" comments. It's a derogatory meaning from people who live in WI about people who live in IL. I grew up in WI and moved to IL for four years. I like to think of it as meaning "Friendly In Both States."

If you are a nature lover, I would look to retire even further north in Wisconsin! It's beautiful and affordable! Everyone is very friendly.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:41 PM

8,158 posts, read 20,751,389 times
Let me add this...https://patch.com/wisconsin/milwauke...village-ranked

Every city an village property tax rate.

The Worst: Brokaw, WI $47.19

The Best: Egg Harbor: $10.94

So for a $300,000 home...

Brokaw: $14,157 in property taxes

Egg Harbor: $3,282

Old 10-15-2017, 06:03 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,909,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooz71 View Post
Ignore the "FIB's" comments. It's a derogatory meaning from people who live in WI about people who live in IL. I grew up in WI and moved to IL for four years. I like to think of it as meaning "Friendly In Both States."

If you are a nature lover, I would look to retire even further north in Wisconsin! It's beautiful and affordable! Everyone is very friendly.
Friendly Illinois Bast***ds sounds much better As inviting as friendly fire, and friendly sucker punch, but so much friendlier.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Hi - I'm from Chicago, and in a few years will be retiring. Thought I would like to live just south of the Wisconsin border, and then started looking at apartments online, that are just over the border, including Kenosha, Pleasant Prairie, Beloit, etc. and wow, you can get a really wonderful place for under $1,000. Comparable places in Illinois are like $1,500. I even see a lot of really nice places for $700 and $900.

I am thinking of moving then to Wisconsin. Is it too good to be true? I also have seen online some in Racine but that might be a little far.

I am not familiar with Wisconsin except for a few quick trips up there at times, and now I'm going to make some more trips up there to see.

Can you recommend anything for me in my search for a nice place to live in south eastern WI area? I was thinking I had to move all the way to Michigan to get a nice environment but now I see Wisconsin has a great environment too. I want to get out of Illinois, not very nice and cost of living is too high. But look at
Wisconsin wow! You get a lot for your money!

is the cost of living better, ie.. grocery, restaurant meals, shopping? Here in Illinois taxes are high like when you get the tax on a restaurant meal and gas is higher.

I see a lot of senior apartments, are they filled up or are they available?

Hi, I'm from Chicago too, my husband from the western suburbs. We moved up here a few years ago. Yes, apartments are cheaper here, senior apartments are available, the cost of living is lower, the sales taxes are lower. The people here are nice. It is not too good to be true. We avoided Beloit and Racine because their crime rates are comparatively high. Not sure about Kenosha or Pleasant Prairie. We live closer to Janesville. The Metra comes up to Kenosha, which is handy if you do not like to drive into the city, and the Amtrak goes downtown from Milwaukee. Madison has a lot of top rate goods and services. I like the land in the southwestern part of the state a lot (it is like the area around Galena) but it was too far from expressways for us. I think there is some pretty land in the southeastern part of the state (I'm sorry to say I haven't spent much time there.) The "stateline" area, as it's called here, is I think a good place for a Chicago transplant as it has a kind of more Illinois/Wisconsin mentality, I think anyway. Put on your country manners if you need to!

Old 10-16-2017, 04:08 AM

162 posts, read 103,369 times
If you want the shortest winter and the longest summer in Wisconsin go to Lake Geneva.

During the spring and summer a dramatic temperature change occurs when traveling 30 miles between Kenosha and Lake Geneva. Lake Geneva is the warmest city in Wisconsin and has much warmer average high temperatures than Kenosha during these 6 months:

April (59F vs 53F)
May (72F vs 63F)
June (82F vs 73F)
July (86F vs 79F)
August (83F vs 78F)
September (75F vs 71F)

Other Wisconsin cities with similar weather to Lake Geneva include Beloit, Monroe, Platteville and Prairie du Chien.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:32 PM
Status: "And just like that, Covid was gone." (set 8 days ago)

8,157 posts, read 7,053,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Loving Nature/the outdoors and being a Packer fan since the Cardinals left town (1959), I retired from Chicagoland to WI last year. I'm homesteading, developing 40 ac 10 mi west of The Dells. There's a brand new apartment building on Main St in Reedsburg-- 2 BR, 2 bath, balcony, and utilities are included for $850/m just for perspective.

Your post gives me the impression you want to stay close to Chi, possibly to take advantage of activities/institutions only available in a metropolis? When was the last time you went to Orchestra Hall, The Field Museum, Sox Park, Lincoln Park Zoo, etc etc? Do you really need to be that close to Chicago?
I only want to be closer to Chicago because of where my family lives and also to have as close of weather as Illinois. If I go way up northern WI then i'll get the way colder weather. but I want to leave the city where I now live (I only live here because of working downtown, but as soon as possible I want to leave the city and move to the suburbs, then I discovered Wisconsin has really nice rent. Also Illinois is corrupt, the politics of Cook County and the crime rate disgust me, and higher taxes. so this summer I want to go tour the southern part of WI to get a feel. I really like lake County, IL or McHenry Co, Illinois, so why not go a little further and save money? I'm trying to find something that resembles Michigan, and this is the best thing (I think).. but my family lives in NW Illinois so I want to be closer to them.

Funny, but I'm going to see those things you mentioned in Chicago, because I cant walk too well, so I haven't been walking around seeing those highlights of Chicago. Hope I will get better soon.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Fib: F****** Illinois Bastard.

Fishtab: F******* Illinois S***head towing a boat.

PS: don't shoot the messenger.

Oh LOL I never heard of those.

I just am learning about the attitude of SOME Wisconsonites that look at people of Illinois. Partly I don't blame you but not everyone is like that. I blame the news and criminals for that appearance.

I thought it was just football, but I guess it is in other aspects too.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:12 PM

38,727 posts, read 29,165,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Oh LOL I never heard of those.

I just am learning about the attitude of SOME Wisconsonites that look at people of Illinois. Partly I don't blame you but not everyone is like that. I blame the news and criminals for that appearance.

I thought it was just football, but I guess it is in other aspects too.

It's not really from the news though, its from the experiences people have with gigantic traffic jams created by IL going north summer weekends, and their experiences interacting with them when in Wisconsin. It's more of a joke I think, but damn, trying to drive on the USH's during Friday or Sunday afternoons surely did stink.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's not really from the news though, its from the experiences people have with gigantic traffic jams created by IL going north summer weekends, and their experiences interacting with them when in Wisconsin. It's more of a joke I think, but damn, trying to drive on the USH's during Friday or Sunday afternoons surely did stink.
Oh I didn't realize it was about the traffic. I will have to try it one day just to see.

fortunately, I probably will miss lots of traffic since I wont be commuting to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin