Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:50 AM

4 posts, read 11,016 times

Advertisements

My husband got 2 jobs offers, one is from Highland Heights, KY (Cincinnati, OH area) and another one is River Falls, WI (St. Paul/Minneapolis, MN area). Since both jobs salary will be almost same (WI has few thousand bucks more), we could not make decision. Is anyone knows both of areas and could give us some idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 10:49 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
River Falls is beautiful, qaulity of life is great in Wisconsin. Wisconsin may pay more but you may end up paying a bit more for a home up here.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:19 PM

537 posts, read 1,939,258 times
We love Wisconsin. But taxes would be higher and we do have all 4 seasons.
River Falls is a nice area. Close to the Twin Cities which I think is a plus.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:44 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,042 times
I love WI - it is my home state and I am back here for now. It has many nice things to offer.

However, I would suggest at least considering long and hard the Cincy, OH offer.

The taxes / cost of living in WI are going to be higher. Not insurmountable by any means, however, you'll definitely get more "bang for your buck" in the Cincy area.

The weather will be far more temperate and mild in the Cincy area than in the Twin Cities area. Unless you are a real cold-weather fan, despite some sweltering humid days in Cincy in the summertime, I would say overall the weather factor would be a nice plus for the Cincy area over the Twin Cities area.

I find the Cincy area quite scenic and very nice. I wouldn't say it would be awful by any means if you ended up in the Twin Cities area, however, if all things are equal between the two, my very-from-afar "vote" would (as a young-30s-ish professional with two young children) would be for the Cincy area job.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:48 PM

387 posts, read 1,331,325 times
We live north of River Falls. I love the whole state of WI and MN is also a great place to live. I love the rural areas. But I also agree that you will probably get the most bang for your buck in KY.
If you like winter I would say WI should be your choice. Also the schools are really good in WI. There high schools students are usually #1 in ACT scores in the US.
Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:58 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateDaum View Post
We live north of River Falls. I love the whole state of WI and MN is also a great place to live. I love the rural areas. But I also agree that you will probably get the most bang for your buck in KY.
If you like winter I would say WI should be your choice. Also the schools are really good in WI. There high schools students are usually #1 in ACT scores in the US.
Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Well, they are usually #2 behind MN, but that is close enough . I would have to agree that the schools in WI would be a determining factor for me. The WI schools are better then OH. If that is an issue for you then it would be something to look into. We have some friends that moved from MN to OH (close enough to WI vs OH) and they were sadly disappointed with the schools (Erie, OH area). Maybe that is just not a good area but from what I heard it is supposed to be a very nice area of OH.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:41 AM

431 posts, read 1,641,278 times
also if you and/or your husband like to have a drink now and them consider that when you move to kentucky b/c only about 30 of the 120 couties are wet. That is a big hold back for my husband being from wisconsin he likes his nightly cocktail.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:56 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,681,348 times
My vote would be for WI; however, if you don't care for 'feet' of snow and want a more temperate Cincy might be better. Also, don't forget that the Cincy airport is really in KY. So, you might consider KY as well. I know that Delta has a hub at the Cincy airport and the Delta exec's live in KY. Schools--WI hands down.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:44 AM

21 posts, read 68,222 times
I have lived in WI and go to college in Menomonie, somewhat near River Falls in the western part of the state. What some friends at UWRF tell me is that the university there is about the only thing going for the town. If you want entertainment and things to do, RF may not be the best choice. I certainly don't want to live around here after I graduate. But to each his own, I suppose. It is nice that it's so close the the twin cities, being about 15 minutes from the border and Hudson, which is a nice little city everyone passes through before entering MN. In the end I think it comes down to whether or not you can stand -20 degree winters, 100% humidity summers in the 90's, and not a lot to do.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:37 PM

6 posts, read 62,919 times
Hi i'm thinking about moving to the USA from England, could i ask you for info on what the housing market is like? What the job situation is like? What the cost of living is in WI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin