U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2017, 12:24 PM

13,637 posts, read 30,333,549 times

Advertisements

I have been doing some genealogical work for a friend of my mom. She was born in Janesville in 1919 (she is 98 now) and lived there until the 1990s, I believe. Anyway, I was curious is there are any current (or recent) residents of Janesville on here who might answer a few questions.

She went to high school in the mid-1930s, so I am assuming that would be the 'Old Janesville High School' on S. Main Street, which appears to be an apartment complex now. I believe that would have been the only high school at the time, but am not sure. Can anyone confirm that that sounds reasonable?

Also, I looked at the pictures of the apartments online. Kind of an interesting concept - there are lockers still in the hallways and the units have floor to ceiling windows. More out of curiosity than anything, has anyone lived there or been in those units? Are they expensive (for the area)?

Her dad died young (51) from a heart attack. He was at one time the president of the Wisconsin Ice Cream Manufacturers, but it looks like that organization does not exist anymore. He also worked for the Shurtleff Ice Cream Company (106 S. Main?), but it looks like it closed down in 1969 and the former location is now a law office. It appears that the business was sold to Schoep's. Does anyone know of any landmarks or any other indications of this former business?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 07:05 PM

7,461 posts, read 5,262,605 times
Have you already tried contacting the Rock County Historical Society?

They have been very good at answering my questions about historical landmarks in Janesville and Beloit. They may even be able to provide you with some photos of the buildings you're interested in or more information about the companies.

Give them a call, if you haven't already.

Rock County Historical Society | Where Past Meets Present | Rock County, Wisconsin

Old 11-01-2017, 08:45 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,119,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Have you already tried contacting the Rock County Historical Society?

They have been very good at answering my questions about historical landmarks in Janesville and Beloit. They may even be able to provide you with some photos of the buildings you're interested in or more information about the companies.

Give them a call, if you haven't already.

Rock County Historical Society | Where Past Meets Present | Rock County, Wisconsin
Rosie, what's your connection to WI?

It's nice seeing your helpfulness over here on the WI board.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:47 AM

3,463 posts, read 3,330,136 times
Yes, it does appear that there has only been one high school at a time in Janesville.
Here is some history of all of the high schools: Janesville History @ Hedberg Public Library: Janesville's First High School - Historic Marker Dedication July 4, 2010

And I am not familiar enough with the apts to know pricing, etc however, you can surely contact them and ask any questions you may have. I see their website only shows a few pics and does not list pricing nor room layouts or sizes, etc.
Marshall Apartments - Janesville

And as far as the Shurtleff Ice Cream Company, there is a lot of info, photos, history, etc here:
https://www.google.com/search?source....0.Yesd4sjzqDc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or