Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 07:40 PM

138 posts, read 156,196 times

Advertisements

I live across the border in the UP. Rhinelander is very nice. If you look at the UP its a little less touristy and mich cheaper. Check out Iron River, Crystal Falls, and Iron Mountain while you are up there. If you want a Wisconsin address, Florence is nice too. I love it up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 06:17 PM

383 posts, read 400,262 times
Thanks HSD1,

I tried to compare property taxes for the UP to Iron County, WI. I was surprised to see that they are pretty much the same. not sure why it is so high up yonder as there is very little infrastructure to support and the schools can't be very big. UP is beautiful as is much of WI. Touristy is not necessarily bad for wife's business or part time handy man work for me.

We will be looking at some properties to get a feel for the Rhinelander and Minocqua areas as well as Mercer. I figure, if we end up on a lake it will need to be one of the tiny drainage holes with no public access to minimize exposure to the summer invasion. There are lots of water properties listed on small lakes, Wisc. River, Pelican River, Turtle River, etc. It's gonna be a busy trip.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:51 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
Thanks HSD1,

I tried to compare property taxes for the UP to Iron County, WI. I was surprised to see that they are pretty much the same. not sure why it is so high up yonder as there is very little infrastructure to support and the schools .
Good grief, at least learn some of the differences between the states and how they are managed/how their economies are structured.

The upper midwest is not like the south. We actually allocate funds to support education. Also, an area like northern WI or the UP has little in the way of big business to tax in order to help defray costs to homeowners.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:50 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
The populated areas with plenty of big business has even higher taxes.
I'm all for a little tax to fund things. Parts of the south can go too far in the other direction, but they'll often have smooth roads and nice schools too.
Don't get me wrong, I'd rather live in Wisconsin any day.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I'm all for a little tax to fund things. Parts of the south can go too far in the other direction, but they'll often have smooth roads and nice schools too.
Yes, that can be true. My explanation was simplified for the OP along the same style of reasoning.

Real world bottom line though, northern WI property taxes are dirt cheap unless you start comparing prime lakefront properties.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:55 PM

Dirt cheap? I guess dirt costs a bunch more in Wisconsin. Property taxes in Ar are half of what I am seeing for the Northwoods.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Why would you rather live in Wisconsin any day? Have you ever been elsewhere? Don't get me wrong, I want to understand "why Wisconsin". I live in Illinois currently where Tyranny and taxation without representation runs rampant. WI does not seem that much different from looking at the numbers.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:39 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Quote:
Why would you rather live in Wisconsin any day? Have you ever been elsewhere? Don't get me wrong, I want to understand "why Wisconsin". I live in Illinois currently where Tyranny and taxation without representation runs rampant. WI does not seem that much different from looking at the numbers.
I'm not a fish out of water up there. Simple as that. The extra expense is a small price to pay for me. Others might see it differently. That's cool.
I currently live very near another area you've been inquiring about elsewhere on C-D. Not my thing at all in any way, but obviously some people like it.
I've lived in 7 states in 3 regions. I know some of what's out there and I know what I like.
I wouldn't live in Illinois for anything, although I do appreciate some things about it. Their financial mess is only one reason not to live there.
For whatever reason, I'm not terribly concerned about Wisconsin going the way of Illinois.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Dirt cheap? I guess dirt costs a bunch more in Wisconsin. Property taxes in Ar are half of what I am seeing for the Northwoods.
Let’s put it in proper context, eh? Northwoods property taxes are low, and much of AR is really low.

Old 02-03-2018, 02:06 PM

I have only lived in two states, spent a bit of time in a few others. Wisconsin has one thing to offer the south does not. My DW is willing to consider living in Wisconsin. She is afraid of the rattlesnakes in the south. Never mind that we have never seen one on our many visits thru KY and AR. In her mind, they are everywhere in the south.

Cold weather is something we are used to living in northern Illinois for 30 years. Wisconsin has slightly longer winters, but we have spent plenty of time at -20 already. Another difference will be as a retiree, I won't have to drive in it anymore.

I am excited to explore the Rhinelander area northward to Bayfield, even if we end up elsewhere. Fishing is a big priority for me in retirement. I hear all ya'll have a bit of dat up der in de north woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin