Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 01:53 PM

3,961 posts, read 10,958,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
Gotta check out the rent/ownership costs, but I wonder if the short summer months can yield a positive cash flow. I also wonder if the winter snow sport months attract a substantial population influx.
One thing i'd maybe say about "relying" on winter snow sports for any income; that can be a tough thing to plan for. Some years back I had to hit the northwoods weekly for sales routes I had. One winter that had very little snow, those areas also had very little tourism (and dollars coming in). Minocqua and Rhinelander seemed like the small towns they once were, with no snowmobilers or skiers staying and spending cash. The businesses i dealt with (hotels stayed at, etc) were hurting.

I'd perhaps treat it like some seasonal workers have to do on their income. Make hay when you can and set aside for the periods you cant. Obviously every winter can and will be different, and in no way does my example mean really anything except what a sort of "worst case" scenario could be like.

Always best to keep both eyes wide option to plan for any and all issues that could potentially pop up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 02:02 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,192,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
One thing i'd maybe say about "relying" on winter snow sports for any income; that can be a tough thing to plan for. Some years back I had to hit the northwoods weekly for sales routes I had. One winter that had very little snow, those areas also had very little tourism (and dollars coming in). Minocqua and Rhinelander seemed like the small towns they once were, with no snowmobilers or skiers staying and spending cash. The businesses i dealt with (hotels stayed at, etc) were hurting.

I'd perhaps treat it like some seasonal workers have to do on their income. Make hay when you can and set aside for the periods you cant. Obviously every winter can and will be different, and in no way does my example mean really anything except what a sort of "worst case" scenario could be like.

Always best to keep both eyes wide option to plan for any and all issues that could potentially pop up
The truth is, there are few if any ‘lucrative’ opportunities in the Northwoods per se. The amount of disposable income and overall population (even during tourist binges) is too low. Retail is practically dead for those reasons, along with online options that suffice in many cases.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Lookin at lake houses was a bit of a disappointment. Only one seemed like it was taken care of. We are considering buying a lot and building a Wausau home so we can finally escape our hundred year old house curse. We have historically liked older homes. Well, that's over. I wanna fish.
The issue is that most of the more prime condition lake homes are going to cost a lot more, especially on the more popular lakes by Minocqua or STG/ER/RL. With Chicago residents comprising of the majority of sales, the prices will be on the high side.

Look at Stratford Homes too if you are sticking with modular stuff.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:06 PM

383 posts, read 393,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Look at Stratford Homes too if you are sticking with modular stuff.
Why Stratford over Wausau?

Old 04-27-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Why Stratford over Wausau?
Similar quality with different options.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:19 AM

881 posts, read 643,525 times
10 year ago we built a Terrace Home out of Friendship WI. We love the home and the options. We also looked at Stratford and Wausau but liked Terrace better and have no regrets with our home.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the input on homes. I have reached out to both mfr,s with questions regarding average cost to build for specific models to help decide if we wish to buy/fix or build. Some friends built a modular home in Michigan a while back and were extremely happy with the project.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:14 PM

Looks like this coming Sunday we are driving to Stratford to look at the models. The cost of building appears to be 30-40% higher than buying and fixing. Gotta decide if it is worth it.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:30 PM

881 posts, read 643,525 times
If you are that way stop in Friendship WI. They have a large model home village. We built through Terrace and love our home.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:45 PM

It might work if we can hit it early enough on Sunday. They are open till 4 on Sunday. Thanks for the suggestion to check Terrace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin