Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 06:14 PM

383 posts, read 399,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Also, look into the towns north of Woodruff and Eagle River. You can be in more remote areas of Vilas County within a 15-20 minute drive of Minocqua and Eagle River. Places like St. Germain, Boulder Junction, Conover, Manitowish Waters, etc. Real estate in those areas away from large lakes is less expensive, but it may be more spendy than the more remote towns in the Northwoods outside of places like Phillips, Park Falls, Tomahawk, Crandon, etc.
This was great info. We have spent a little time in Eagle River and St Germain and love it. Going back this coming week to look deeper. We were there the week after the 24"snowfall in late April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 03:01 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
This was great info. We have spent a little time in Eagle River and St Germain and love it. Going back this coming week to look deeper. We were there the week after the 24"snowfall in late April.
That sounds great. I was trying to go up there this weekend, but it is a long drive from where I live presently. I won't go there during holidays, way too crowded for my taste.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:27 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,845,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I would take northern Wisconsin over the South.

26 years in Wisconsin was enough for me to move to the South. It may get hot in Arkansas, but our winters are far better. The bad thing about the south is that instead of 6 months of snow, you'll get freezing rain without the snow. Thankfully it melts within a day, usually.

I really miss Wisconsin, but I don't think I could deal with another 6 months of winter.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
26 years in Wisconsin was enough for me to move to the South. It may get hot in Arkansas, but our winters are far better. The bad thing about the south is that instead of 6 months of snow, you'll get freezing rain without the snow. Thankfully it melts within a day, usually.

I really miss Wisconsin, but I don't think I could deal with another 6 months of winter.
The tradeoff for a much milder spring, summer, and fall compared to the South...
Upper South/Lower Midwest winter weather is the absolute worst, nothing but constant rain, grey skies, mud, and half frozen precipitation. They don't have a clue how to deal with winter precipitation events, so everything in that regard is far worse. Then, the heat and brutal humidity kick in by May with high temperatures over 90F and that doesn't end for another four months. So, I would take Wisconsin winters any day of the week to enjoy much nicer summer temperatures without the heat and humidity of the South. Also, you can be outside far more often due to reliable snow cover up north. You can't do anything outside in the South in the winter, the weather is much too wet and muddy most of the time!

Old 05-24-2018, 11:36 AM

903 posts, read 664,089 times
I will take the WI winters also. I don't know why people think there is 6 months of winter. This year it did not get cold or snowy until Christmas. And yes we had a freak blizzard in April that is rare. And it all melted in a little over a week. Been plenty warm all of May. So I think there is 3-4 months of winter and really only 1-2 months are bad.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:46 PM

383 posts, read 399,704 times
Ain't it nice to be able to choose? Canadians get winter, winter, winter. I prefer the States where you can select from various climates to suit your taste.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:47 AM

2,448 posts, read 893,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
I will take the WI winters also. I don't know why people think there is 6 months of winter. This year it did not get cold or snowy until Christmas. And yes we had a freak blizzard in April that is rare. And it all melted in a little over a week. Been plenty warm all of May. So I think there is 3-4 months of winter and really only 1-2 months are bad.
Because most people have a long-term memory of about five days.

Old 05-27-2018, 02:16 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
Ticks ? Really? I would think the winters would keep them thinned out in the Northwoods.
Not in the least. I grew up in Northern Wisconsin, and hiked there all my life. I've been living in Kentucky about 7 years now, and I used to regularly pick up more woodticks in a single day of hiking than I've even seen in the entire time I've been down here. Literally scores of them in a single afternoon. Ticks can be terrible up there.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:00 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,750,180 times
In the Ozarks, the ticks and mosquitoes can be really bad, oddly enough, even when there isn't a significant amount of water nearby.
Whether it's Arkansas summers or Wisconsin winters, the common ground on weather is that there's about the same amount of "just-right" weather. If anything, the average Wisconsonite probably spends more time outdoors than the average Arkansan. That's what I've observed over the years anyway.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
In the Ozarks, the ticks and mosquitoes can be really bad, oddly enough, even when there isn't a significant amount of water nearby.
Whether it's Arkansas summers or Wisconsin winters, the common ground on weather is that there's about the same amount of "just-right" weather. If anything, the average Wisconsonite probably spends more time outdoors than the average Arkansan. That's what I've observed over the years anyway.
All I know is that this year's weather was particularly bad. Hardly any high temperatures in the 60s or 70s. Now, highs have been in the 80s and 90s since the early part of the month with most lows not even below 70F. And this will be continuing until September. Upper Midwest has infinitely superior summer weather by comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin