U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2018, 05:18 PM
Status: "Bye" (set 2 days ago)
 
387 posts, read 247,621 times
Reputation: 633

Advertisements

As wife and I are preparing to retire in a few years, we have been travelling from Blue Ridge GA to western KY and TN, to North Arkansas. DW in her round about ways commented enough that I am planning a trip thru parts of Wisconsin. She spent childhood summers north of Eagle river on a small lake and has a notion we should live on a lake or River.

I admit, I'm not a big fan of winter, but to be fair, I am willing to look at all options. Since we are not city folk (currently live in Central IL), we are looking at small to midsized population centers. Next July we begin to explore Wisconsin with a trip up 51/47 the stops for 2 days in each of 3 locations. 1st Rhinelander, 2nd Minocqua, and 3rd Bayfield. We hope to travel some of the surrounding flowages at each stop.

The return trip will be slightly West past Hayward down thru Eau Claire on 53.

Any thoughts on things to see would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2018, 09:14 AM
 
Location: RI, MA, VT, WI, IL, CA, IN (that one sucked), KY
38,727 posts, read 29,145,903 times
Reputation: 36261
What season are you visiting?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2018, 11:08 AM
Status: "Bye" (set 2 days ago)
 
387 posts, read 247,621 times
Reputation: 633
2nd week in July.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2018, 11:11 AM
 
Location: South Florida
4,944 posts, read 6,142,410 times
Reputation: 5151
My parents retired to Eagle River years ago.
One thing that's important to consider, which they didn't... decent healthcare is a few hours away.
FWIW.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2018, 12:38 PM
Status: "Bye" (set 2 days ago)
 
387 posts, read 247,621 times
Reputation: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
My parents retired to Eagle River years ago.
One thing that's important to consider, which they didn't... decent healthcare is a few hours away.
FWIW.
I pretty much agree. However, some would define decent health care in a way you could never get away from a major metro area. We have been living 12 miles from the local community hospital for 10 years. The next step up is 45 miles away. Eagle River does have a community hospital, much like in Minocqua and Rhinelander. I agree that Bayfield is way out there . Duluth is the closest hospital for Bayfield. If one were to develop major health issues in such a living situation, it might be time to move for treatment. I'm not sure if I would move even then.

We have been discussing the medical care issue as we explore. It is part of the puzzle that needs to be addressed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2018, 11:50 PM
 
4,018 posts, read 2,968,745 times
Reputation: 3118
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
I pretty much agree. However, some would define decent health care in a way you could never get away from a major metro area. We have been living 12 miles from the local community hospital for 10 years. The next step up is 45 miles away. Eagle River does have a community hospital, much like in Minocqua and Rhinelander. I agree that Bayfield is way out there . Duluth is the closest hospital for Bayfield. If one were to develop major health issues in such a living situation, it might be time to move for treatment. I'm not sure if I would move even then.

We have been discussing the medical care issue as we explore. It is part of the puzzle that needs to be addressed.
Marshfield Clinic affiliated clinics/hospitals are popular options for Vilas and Oneida county residents.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2018, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Brew City
4,867 posts, read 3,211,887 times
Reputation: 6750
If you're not a big fan of winter you will not like northern Wisconsin. By all means, come and visit, but be honest with yourself when you choose your final destination. It will be a great place to visit in July but you shouldn't move based on one summer visit. Someone who is not a big fan of winter can handle a few months of colder weather and a little snow but northern Wisconsin is serious winter country.


There are plenty of lakes and rivers in GA, KY, TN and AR.


Good luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2018, 07:54 PM
Status: "Bye" (set 2 days ago)
 
387 posts, read 247,621 times
Reputation: 633
I agree about the winters. It's DW that needs to be convinced. Funny thing is while we had -20 last week in central Illinois, it was warmer in Bayfield. I have started watching the weather. We almost pulled the trigger on some real estate in north central AR. DW started having anxiety attacks about snakes and ticks. Jeesh!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2018, 09:18 PM
 
Location: IN
22,241 posts, read 38,804,776 times
Reputation: 14810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
If you're not a big fan of winter you will not like northern Wisconsin. By all means, come and visit, but be honest with yourself when you choose your final destination. It will be a great place to visit in July but you shouldn't move based on one summer visit. Someone who is not a big fan of winter can handle a few months of colder weather and a little snow but northern Wisconsin is serious winter country.


There are plenty of lakes and rivers in GA, KY, TN and AR.


Good luck.
There are no naturally occurring lakes in most of the South, they are all reservoirs- inferior to most northern lakes. There area also far more pests and bugs in the South as the cold weather never really kills things off as well. I would take northern Wisconsin over the South, but I despise heat and humidity and the torrid sun angle. I would agree that the OP would be wise to visit for at least two winters. I am very familiar with Northwoods winter weather, and would prefer to retire there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2018, 12:46 PM
 
212 posts, read 195,909 times
Reputation: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
I agree about the winters. It's DW that needs to be convinced. Funny thing is while we had -20 last week in central Illinois, it was warmer in Bayfield. I have started watching the weather. We almost pulled the trigger on some real estate in north central AR. DW started having anxiety attacks about snakes and ticks. Jeesh!

No snakes up here in the Northwoods but their are ticks. I relocated here from Montana 14 months ago and love it......
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top