Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 10:25 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,837,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post

WI does not need to jump on that bandwagon any time soon as there is no real benefit.

You may see no benefit, but the people that marijuana helps will make it worth the legalization. Sadly the evil boogie men make it seem like weed is some horrible thing that will make you some sort of zombie with infectious bacteria. It's all child's play, in my opinion, to try keeping this from the public. Sorry to see that you've possibly been brainwashed to believe this is a bad "drug", and believe it should be kept out of reach from the general public.

I don't smoke it, but medical marijuana is legal where I live (Arkansas). I'm glad to see those people who need it are getting access to it, but I'm still sad to see how the feds are treating this as some horrible drug. I guess it goes back to our ancestors and severe brainwashing tactics that people believed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 09:05 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,666,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Why do you think that?
I live in PNW where Marijuana is legal. Sure does not seem to have made these states any better.
Indeed some of the people I see coming out of pot stores, I wish were not here. But, I guess the same could be said for some folks coming out of grocery stores.

Why is legal pot a good thing?
Taxes?? They are not that much.
Crime?? Most towns are not actively spending resources enforcing small recreational pot crime anyway.

This seems like a common cause among certain folk but does not have much substance one way or the other.

WI does not need to jump on that bandwagon any time soon as there is no real benefit.
Agreed.
Seems to me like using the medical argument for legalization is mostly a loophole to get full decriminalization.
Not that there isn't some medical value, but let's just be honest about what these advocates really want.
As something of a libertarian, I don't necessarily believe in making these types of things illegal. However, I don't think it's wise to normalize it either.

As for this thread, I'm certain the issue has virtually no real effect on whether or not people leave, stay, or move to Wisconsin.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:57 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,819,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
You may see no benefit, but the people that marijuana helps will make it worth the legalization. Sadly the evil boogie men make it seem like weed is some horrible thing that will make you some sort of zombie with infectious bacteria. It's all child's play, in my opinion, to try keeping this from the public. Sorry to see that you've possibly been brainwashed to believe this is a bad "drug", and believe it should be kept out of reach from the general public.

I don't smoke it, but medical marijuana is legal where I live (Arkansas). I'm glad to see those people who need it are getting access to it, but I'm still sad to see how the feds are treating this as some horrible drug. I guess it goes back to our ancestors and severe brainwashing tactics that people believed.
Wow - big fail on assumptions of my thoughts based on the comments. Never once did I say there is NO benefit to marijuana nor did I say it it is a bad drug and should be kept away from public. The context of my comments was as a rebut to someone claiming that a big value to keeping people in WI would be legalization of weed. I was pointing out that, in my opinion, legalization of weed is not a panacea and certainly would not be a major factor in significant #'s of people coming to or leaving a state.

A far as people using - if they want it, they will get it - legal or not. In the big picture, it doesn't matter much whether it is legal or not. As a libertarian, I like that. It proves gov't really is not that important!

Old 04-10-2019, 06:53 AM

41,940 posts, read 36,707,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
As for this thread, I'm certain the issue has virtually no real effect on whether or not people leave, stay, or move to Wisconsin.

While illegalizing it makes no darn sense, I too don't think it has any statistically significant effect on immigration/emigration rates. It's not like it was ever hard to get in WI in the first place.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:11 AM

170 posts, read 173,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicalmom View Post
Hey everyone! so I've been doing a years worth of research into moving to Wisconsin. I have studied Schools for me to further my education, cities that would be favorable for me and my family. I've looked into homes that will be coming up for rent when I move, but now getting nervous because I have seen that Wisconsin ranks number 10 as one of the states people are moving out of also there seems to be a lot of haters that live in Wisconsin that or telling me "don't do it " which is something I tell people about Oklahoma . Why are people moving away? I don't know what to do ,because I really want to get out of Oklahoma! I hate it here, but I don't know what state will be a good fit. I definitely want to move to a state that has a winter the length of winter I don't care about,long as it does not have 6 months of Summer, which I deal with now. I want to stay where there's no gun shots every night near your house,and that you can't even walk to the store without worrying about somebody robbing you which happens an awful lot where I live now. Access to really good Public Schools is a must. Rent must be reasonable ,if you can't get a 3-bedroom house for no less than $1,800 a month that's a little too much in my opinion. And before anyone suggest I should buy a house yes I know that but I got to get to a place in my life where I can afford a home to buy. Any feedback on Wisconsin is very helpful. Any suggestions on other states, if you feel Wisconsin is not a good state to move to is also helpful.
The population of Wisconsin has gone up every decade for the last 200 years so there are not that many moving away.

Wisconsin had a population gain of 0.37% from 2017-2018. That was 27th out of 50 states.

Census Pop. %±
1820 1,444 —
1830 3,635 151.7%
1840 30,945 751.3%
1850 305,391 886.9%
1860 775,881 154.1%
1870 1,054,670 35.9%
1880 1,315,457 24.7%
1890 1,693,330 28.7%
1900 2,069,042 22.2%
1910 2,333,860 12.8%
1920 2,632,067 12.8%
1930 2,939,006 11.7%
1940 3,137,587 6.8%
1950 3,434,575 9.5%
1960 3,951,777 15.1%
1970 4,417,731 11.8%
1980 4,705,767 6.5%
1990 4,891,769 4.0%
2000 5,363,675 9.6%
2010 5,686,986 6.0%
Est. 2018 5,813,568 2.2%

Wisconsin does not have 6 months of summer.

Summer highs in Milwaukee on average are 78F instead of 92F in Oklahoma City.
Summer lows in Milwaukee on average are 61F instead of 70F in Oklahoma City.
Winter highs in Milwaukee on average are 32F instead of 52F in Oklahoma City.
Winter lows in Milwaukee on average are 18F instead of 31F in Oklahoma City.

Climate data for 180 Wisconsin cities are on the link below:

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...ed-states/3219

The average annual snowfall in the state varies from 32" in Beloit to 167" in Hurley in the far north central snow belt.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:04 AM

41,940 posts, read 36,707,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott53051 View Post
Wisconsin had a population gain of 0.37% from 2017-2018. That was 27th out of 50 states.

That's a net loss, comparatively. The U.S. population went up 0.62% between 2017-2018. While its a real number growth, comparatively it's a loss.

It's like thinking hey, I used to get $1.00/hr, now I'm getting $1.01 an hour, I got a raise! Not when inflation is 3%... in real dollars you took a cut.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:46 AM
sub

I think a gain is a gain when it comes to population, at least as far as most things are concerned.
A state might have comparitavely fewer members of the House or electoral votes when it doesn' grow as fast as others. However, things like job opportunities, culture, and amenities still increase as the population does.
Wisconsin enjoys a pretty high standard of living across the board, for the most part.
The discrepancy between rich and poor all across the trendy southern U.S., from California to the Carolinas, is often very stark. All that growth and popularity has been a mixed bag when referring to quality of life improvements. That Wisconsin has managed to maintain a higher standard of living with its industrial background and slower growth, is testament to its culture.

Old 01-10-2021, 10:02 PM

2 posts, read 1,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Agreed.
Seems to me like using the medical argument for legalization is mostly a loophole to get full decriminalization.
Not that there isn't some medical value, but let's just be honest about what these advocates really want.
As something of a libertarian, I don't necessarily believe in making these types of things illegal. However, I don't think it's wise to normalize it either.

Almost anywhere in south-eastern Wisconsin does take enforcement beyond seriously, at the detriment of the young future generations of the state that will disenfranchise them well past their conviction date. What a horribly antiquated attitude for a state that has so little to offer.

Old 01-10-2021, 10:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,583 times
Default Yup, pretty great for whites. Otherwise, might wanna consider somewhere else

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
Holy paranoid!

The most common mistake that white people make when POC speak about their experiences with racism is assume we're asserting that ALL white people are guilty of it. Aren't you the one being paranoid, sir? I have many phenomenal friendships and working relationships with several white people outside of City Data. My longtime best friend from my childhood is also white. Do you have any friendships or working relationships with POC? I am an affluent AA who owns property and lives in an upper middle-class white neighborhood in an TC suburb, and we ALL get along! But even when I first moved into that neighborhood, I'd have cops follow me around asking my what business I had doing in that neighborhood. Why don't YOU take a long look in the mirror, stop pointing fingers, stop playing the victim, and clean up YOUR own yard? Don't tell me to get over something that affects me everyday. You are a white male who will NEVER know what it's like to be black.

Moreover, if being harassed and threatened by a group of African Americans is the most "racism" you've ever experienced, then I envy you. As a white male, your knowledge about racism seems to be sorely and scarily minimal. Racism isn't a simple as having racial slurs hurled at you or being harassed in public. The kind of racism that I care about is one that is enshrined in our social democracy and institutions. The kind of racism that I care about is harsher sentencing for the same offenses as whites, extreme disproportion in police brutality, stop and frisk, and racial profiling, being half as likely to be interviewed for a job with equal or higher credentials based on an ethnic sounding name on a resume, always being assumed that you automatically benefit from affirmative action by virtue of being a minority while conveniently forgetting white women are its largest beneficiaries, being followed in a store under assumption of shoplifting while an unassuming white person is slipping a pair of earrings into their purse one aisle over, having landlords tell you rental properties are no longer available and your white best friend being shown the house hours later, difficulty catching cabs at night, and being denied loans or financing with better or equal credit as a white person. I couldn't care less about someone shouting the "N" word at me from their car window. Words rarely (if ever) ever hurt me.

No matter where us POC are on the social ladder, we are still at a disadvantage for our mere existence in a country whose legacy was founded on racist principles, whose system was designed to cater to white straight men. I lived in Mequon for 6 years (2003-2009) and was the only AA on my block. I vividly remember my former neighbors harboring microaggressions toward me and my family for a long time. As I mentioned before, I had the police called on my for moving furniture out of my own home (i.e. accused of robbing my own house). I even posted a now-closed thread about it when I first joined C-D. This incident was back in 2008, a year before I relocated from Mequon to Brown Deer. The neighbors who called the cops on me were new to the neighborhood and thus had no clue a black family occupied a house on their block. I was profiled by the police upon being confronted about moving furniture out of my own house. Similar things like this have happened before, including to a black professor who was accused of breaking into his own house in a white neighborhood:[URL]https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/jul/21/henry-louis-gates-jr-arrest-harvard[/URL]

The point I'm trying to convey is that race relations in Wisconsin are terrible and have been strained for decades. I know racism is a nationwide problem, but WI is the leader in all things racism. If you don't believe me, a quick Google search will present an overwhelming body of evidence of this. I am sure white Wisconsinites don't have to worry about driving while black or moving furniture while black. These experiences are very real, and denying them makes you the worst offender. Denial is the most polite form of racism, in my opinion.

Therefore, WI is a terrible place to be black, and it would not surprise me if blacks are driving the negative out-migration from Wisconsin. I am sorry to whomever disagrees with me, but this is the way I feel. I appreciate users like Damba, Epidonax, and Timberline who choose to not be willfully ignorant like some users on this forum. It restores my faith in humanity.
It is astounding how white this entire state is, and I can only imagine how isolating it would be for any ethnic minorities. I came from the east coast, in a predominately Asian neighborhood, and I have to say it was a real shocker when I first came here.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:08 AM
sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavemidwest View Post
Almost anywhere in south-eastern Wisconsin does take enforcement beyond seriously, at the detriment of the young future generations of the state that will disenfranchise them well past their conviction date. What a horribly antiquated attitude for a state that has so little to offer.
Generations of people have survived these laws somehow. Wisconsin has similar laws as many other parts of the country, and those states are keeping their population and growing.
It seems insignificant to this conversation. People leave for job opportunities and maybe weather, not so much for legal drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin