Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 11:59 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiP View Post
Are you telling me that with the recent week of -10 below weather we've had, that you were outside going for walks and working around the yard? Having coffee on the patio? It didn't keep you inside at all?

Today is the first nice day in Southern Wisconsin we've had in quite a while...and it's going to be raining by the end of the week.

I was outside for the vast majority of the winters in Wisconsin and Vermont. Even this past week I was out birding on the weekends (had to work the week of course, but went running outside when not lifting after work) and the wind chills were well below zero. Along the coastline where I am currently the artic temps and winds bring in some great unusual species (saw purple sandpipers, white fronted geese, etc). There is so much to do, cross country skiing, fishing, birding, skating, etc. In February I will be helping with an ice swim in the Northeast Kingdom of VT, it's great fun! Below zero is a bit of anomaly, it only happens for a couple of weeks a year at most, but people can still get outside, and it makes 20 degrees feel balmy when it reverts to normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 12:51 PM

1,081 posts, read 548,512 times
I to had the opportunity to work anywhere and chose the Fox River Valley (Oshkosh/Appleton area). The public schools in the area are decent and there is good health care here. I can't speak to the mental health situation.

As far as band, Neenah has a great band department.

I would add the Fox River Valley to your short list of Wisconsin communities to consider.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:56 AM

56 posts, read 98,642 times
Lmao i live in janesville and we are looking to get the hell out of here and actually move to north carolina (wilmington area) like others said...dont even consider janesville. Every corner there is a bar.....nothing to do here and its just blah. Plus have fun paying 2-3x more for property taxes!! We pay 5k a yr for a 3 bedroom 1600 sq ft home

Old 07-25-2018, 07:20 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexeclipse2007 View Post
Lmao i live in janesville and we are looking to get the hell out of here and actually move to north carolina (wilmington area) like others said...dont even consider janesville. Every corner there is a bar.....nothing to do here and its just blah. Plus have fun paying 2-3x more for property taxes!! We pay 5k a yr for a 3 bedroom 1600 sq ft home

You think that is a lot?!

Old 07-25-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You think that is a lot?!
Comparing it to property taxes in north carolina and even other places close to the ocean. YES its a lot

Old 07-25-2018, 10:45 AM

73 posts, read 101,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexeclipse2007 View Post
Comparing it to property taxes in north carolina and even other places close to the ocean. YES its a lot
We moved from NC - and yep....property taxes here are very high compared to there.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:51 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,017,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiP View Post
We moved from NC - and yep....property taxes here are very high compared to there.
We lived in SC for several years before moving back here. Definitely a large variance in prop taxes (on one's main residence) from the Carolinas to here. Even taking into account the personal prop taxes we had to pay on 2 newer vehicles and a nice boat (and on a home valued far more than ours here) it was still less overall per year than WI.

Yes discussions can be had for actual services returned for said taxes, but for just considering $$ paid there is no comparison. In fact we found renting a home there was not any benefit at all vs owning it due to their tax laws.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
We lived in SC for several years before moving back here. Definitely a large variance in prop taxes (on one's main residence) from the Carolinas to here. Even taking into account the personal prop taxes we had to pay on 2 newer vehicles and a nice boat (and on a home valued far more than ours here) it was still less overall per year than WI.

Yes discussions can be had for actual services returned for said taxes, but for just considering $$ paid there is no comparison. In fact we found renting a home there was not any benefit at all vs owning it due to their tax laws.
I had a discussion with someone in a wilmington group and they were warning me about the extras like yearly car taxes and paying extra for home owners due to being near the ocean , but even after that inam still saving $200-300 a month. Bigger home, nicer weather, next to ocean. We are in the early stages of doing this move and hoping to leave next soring. I myself can not wait to leave janesville

Old 07-26-2018, 07:46 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,101,403 times
I don't tell people not to move to a certain area because it sucks, I believe it's up to you whether a city is fun or not. However, Beloit, Janesville, Edgerton corridor just does nothing for me. Janesville has some really nice homes and a huge park system but the city just feels run-down and bland there I honestly have no idea why anyone would want to live there. I have spent a ton of time there, it just does nothing for me. At least Racine has really nice suburban areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin