U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 02:10 PM

935 posts, read 1,760,045 times

Advertisements

California problems:

Earthquakes, fires, draught, traffic, worst poverty in the nation when adjusted for cost of living, public pensions which will bankrupt the state, political correctness out of control, insane house prices, insane rent prices, self absorbed people, public education which ranks at the very bottom for the United States, illegal immigrants bankrupting the health care system, a water system which can not be sustained much longer, poor wages for a high cost of living, etc....

I guess this is what they mean by quality of life issues.

No thanks, I would rather deal with cold weather in flyover country.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 03-03-2018 at 02:21 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 02:47 PM
DKM

5,655 posts, read 2,053,195 times
Reality: Earthquakes and fires only affect a very small% of the population. More likely to die in Wisconsin in a snow related accident. There is no drought affecting anything except some farms were overbuilt. Traffic and poverty is only bad in parts of the 2 big cities. The state has a $6 billion surplus, not bankrupt at all (some poor cities are). Politics I don't care about. The rest of the issues are bad for the lower income stratum yes. So its bad QOL for people who don't have good jobs, while the rest of us are making great money and living in paradise. I doubt Milwaukee is a good place for poor folk either...it certainly has a much higher crime rate than LA.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:17 PM

1,739 posts, read 947,464 times
Yet who is moving TO WISCONSIN? Corporate relocations are nil. Too damn cold. Milwaukee has seen its better days. Nah. A MUCH Better measure is Ryder/Uhaul out of state rentals.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:52 PM

13 posts, read 12,077 times
doesn't surprise me at all. i've traveled all over and i'm convinced wisconsin/minnesota is one of the best places to raise a family.

i think there are several other places that are much better to build a career, but once you reach a certain point in career, wisconsin is up there as far as places to settle down.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:30 AM

935 posts, read 1,760,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Yet who is moving TO WISCONSIN? Corporate relocations are nil. Too damn cold. Milwaukee has seen its better days. Nah. A MUCH Better measure is Ryder/Uhaul out of state rentals.
So what. Milwaukee has the same amenities as corporate transient zones such as Dallas or Atlanta, without the hassles of traffic and a culture of superficial people. IMO I would take Milwaukee or Madison over either one or those cities or their many clones in the sunbelt. No thanks.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:04 PM

2,210 posts, read 1,917,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
I did twice, both times job-related. I was able to get a better job in Milwaukee than on either of coasts...

Old 03-05-2018, 07:42 AM

38,727 posts, read 29,251,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
California problems:

Earthquakes, fires, draught, traffic, worst poverty in the nation when adjusted for cost of living, public pensions which will bankrupt the state, political correctness out of control, insane house prices, insane rent prices, self absorbed people, public education which ranks at the very bottom for the United States, illegal immigrants bankrupting the health care system, a water system which can not be sustained much longer, poor wages for a high cost of living, etc....

I guess this is what they mean by quality of life issues.

No thanks, I would rather deal with cold weather in flyover country.

Lots of funny myths in there, but this one is beyond the pale. California is right in the middle of the pack. Wisconsin is only 4-5 steps above it, and falling.

The weather is fantastic there (at least in SF, OMG, it was a dream), the food devine, and the outdoor opportunities some of the best in the Nation, along with Colorado.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:43 AM

6,522 posts, read 7,826,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The weather is fantastic there (at least in SF, OMG, it was a dream)

55 degrees in July is a dream? SF is not SoCal.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:51 AM

38,727 posts, read 29,251,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
55 degrees in July is a dream? SF is not SoCal.

Yes, an absolute dream. I couldn't handle, say, San Diego, but SF weather was effectively perfect to me. In the time I lived there I never, ever had to wear more than a light coat or heavy sweatshirt, and never used AC.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:01 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,149,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
He said Monterey, not San Francisco. Its like saying Madison sucks because Milwaukee...

There are 2 cities here with bad traffic but 20 million of us don't live in those awful places and find life far better than living in a cold flyover state.
Yes, not talking about SF or general Bay Area. Traffic in the Monterey area is a breeze compared to larger metros. The only places we saw some congestion were on a couple of streets near the military bases during the morning or evening commutes. Even the downtown wharf and touristy areas were fairly easy to navigate by car.

IMHO, with its lakes, bluffs and forests WI has a bit more to offer than typical flyover country (IN, IL, OH, KS, IA, NE, etc.). However, I'm with you that the brutal WI winters severely limit enjoyment of these amenities for significant portions of the year. The brown winter landscape can be pretty ugly in the southern portion of the state. It's much prettier up north around more pine trees.

For some, WI winter may be a big plus for quality of life. For me, it's a huge negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin