U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 12:11 PM
DKM

5,631 posts, read 2,047,087 times

Advertisements

I just felt like I needed to defend my new state against the attacks in this thread. I know some nice people here from WI and they clearly come from a good place.

The reality is this is an awful place to live if you are lower than average in education or earning potential. That doesn't mean it is for everyone...The kids don't mind wearing shorts at school today though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 02:04 PM

2,210 posts, read 1,916,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I just felt like I needed to defend my new state against the attacks in this thread. I know some nice people here from WI and they clearly come from a good place.

The reality is this is an awful place to live if you are lower than average in education or earning potential. That doesn't mean it is for everyone...The kids don't mind wearing shorts at school today though.
It's better to be healthy and wealthy than poor and sick. Anywhere.

Your kids don't mind wearing shorts today to school, my daughter came from better than average school in LA and was immediately measured as about a full grade behind the class average here. She had to work extra hard for the next 3 years to get to the slightly below average in her class. She minded it a lot you know to do extra home work and come 15 minutes before school for tutoring with the teacher, but we know education is more important than ability to wear shorts to school.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:12 PM
DKM

5,631 posts, read 2,047,087 times
LAUSD drags down the entire state and your situation does not surprise me at all, especially if it was from times past when it wasn't as nice here like it is now.

Last edited by DKM; 03-06-2018 at 02:26 PM..

Old 03-13-2018, 01:31 AM

4,714 posts, read 6,122,893 times
I grew up in Wisconsin. Have lived for over 40 years in Northern CA. I love it. I visit family in Wisconsin, and it certainly has it's attributes, but I would never put up with the snow/cold in the winter or with the mosquitoes and flies in the summer. Been there, done that. Very few flying insects in CA. You can sit out on the deck or hike all day without getting a bite. And the weather is way better. In my community, the schools are very good to excellent. I can easily get to mountains, ocean, wine country, etc. I am biased, however: having lived here so long, I have a whole community, history, friends, etc. Wherever we are, if we have community, we tend to love it.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:21 PM

8,158 posts, read 20,775,009 times
Hey for the last 6 years you could be living in Boston and New York City and be getting hit with another massive winter storm. We have had it pretty quiet around here lately.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Hey for the last 6 years you could be living in Boston and New York City and be getting hit with another massive winter storm. We have had it pretty quiet around here lately.
Whether you'd be hit by winter storm or not is unknown. But if you live in Boston or NYC - you'd be hit by tolls every single day

Old 03-14-2018, 09:48 AM

38,727 posts, read 29,242,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Whether you'd be hit by winter storm or not is unknown. But if you live in Boston or NYC - you'd be hit by tolls every single day

I can't speak for NY, but you won't have the toll issue in Boston unless you have to drive the Pike (and if you live in Boston you never have to do so). We really only have one toll road in the state (there is one toll bridge as well). It isn't like IL with tolls being ubiquitous.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:59 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,149,314 times
I do like how WI has no toll roads.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I can't speak for NY, but you won't have the toll issue in Boston unless you have to drive the Pike (and if you live in Boston you never have to do so). We really only have one toll road in the state (there is one toll bridge as well). It isn't like IL with tolls being ubiquitous.
Lived there for a while... You're correct, unless you live on the west and work in downtown, you don't have to take Masspike. But if you do, then you pretty much need to use it. But it was mostly targeted to NYC ... and a slight exaggeration.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:43 PM

485 posts, read 302,635 times
Wisconsin is the 11th best state to live for white people, not minorities. What these rankings fail to factor into their methodology are racial disparities. Wisconsin consistently ranks as the worst state for African Americans, followed by Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin