Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 08:08 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,891,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
Wisconsin is the 11th best state to live for white people, not minorities. What these rankings fail to factor into their methodology are racial disparities. Wisconsin consistently ranks as the worst state for African Americans, followed by Minnesota.
Are you alleging that Wisconsin is worse than Texas or Arizona or Montana (or name any other dominantly white state in North or South) for minorities??? It doesn't make much sense to me.

I've read about black minorities life in Hawaii... Maybe they live there as good as white people, and have no snow, but their quality of life is definitely poor, much worse than in the bad dominantly white snow covered Wisconsin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 08:15 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Are you alleging that Wisconsin is worse than Texas or Arizona or Montana (or name any other dominantly white state in North or South) for minorities??? It doesn't make much sense to me.
I don't know about the others, but Texas is about as diverse as it gets. I'm not a fan of the state, but racial tension does not seem to be much of a problem there.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:05 PM

459 posts, read 475,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymdawg View Post
U.S. News & World Report has released its 2018 "Best States" ranking, and Wisconsin comes in at number 11.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states
Yes, lol the bad weather, high taxes, horrible roads, rust bucket vehicles, and lack of jobs keeps them flocking in, or out. Jobs leaving constantly for down south, or overseas for better incentives with few jobs moving in. People constantly moving out with few moving back in. Sorry, that study is nonsense. I'd believe 20 or 25. Numbers don't lie....

Old 03-21-2018, 09:38 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
Yes, lol the bad weather, high taxes, horrible roads, rust bucket vehicles, and lack of jobs keeps them flocking in, or out. Jobs leaving constantly for down south, or overseas for better incentives with few jobs moving in. People constantly moving out with few moving back in. Sorry, that study is nonsense. I'd believe 20 or 25. Numbers don't lie....
I've lived in states people are flocking to, and without question, Wisconsin is a significantly more pleasant place to live.
Lower crime. Better schools. Less poverty. Less blight. Cleaner. People generally easier to deal with. Better recreational opportunities.
Roads are average, certainly not the worst. Indiana, Oklahoma... much much worse.
One can adapt to most kinds of weather if they're not stubborn about it. Go south for year-round threats of tornadoes or months-long heat waves in the summer.
Rust bucket cars, okay, but some of us don't care much about that.
Jobs. Probably the biggest downside. Wisconsin is not the most entrepreneurial minded place in the country. Also, there is a political faction there that screams bloody murder whenever someone tries to make it more business freindly.
They want to be like Minnesota, but lack the general enthusiasm of that state. Read these forums and you'll see they're not the most encouraging towards people looking to move in. They can be a bit insular, which does not help at all.
Taxes: same angry bloody murder mob.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:54 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Well, "business friendly" is usually code for reducing environmental protections and trying to race to the bottom. It's the exact opposite of what successful state economies do.

Investing in education, especially in R&D heavy areas (tech, bio tech, in WI stuff like ag) and fostering a pro-start up infrastructure through accelerators and incubators is the path to creating new, high paying jobs and expanding the economy.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:08 PM

512 posts, read 474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post

I've read about black minorities life in Hawaii... Maybe they live there as good as white people, and have no snow, but their quality of life is definitely poor, much worse than in the bad dominantly white snow covered Wisconsin.
No, I am not "alleging" anything. I am merely referring to statistics which show compelling evidence that Wisconsin has some clear racial disparities in many social segments (income gap, home ownership, educational achievement, etc.). When U.S. News compiles data to incorporate into their methodology for determining "Best State" rankings, they do not take racial disparities into consideration. That's essentially what I pointed out.

I know I do a lot of race-bating on this forum, but Wisconsin has got some clear racial disparities that its leadership refuses to address. So yes, Wisconsin is a good state for white people, with the exception of minorities.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:40 PM

512 posts, read 474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanip View Post
It’s not race-baiting, when you’re simply trying to give the perspective of a black person. I lived in Wisconsin for 10 years before leaving. It has some beautiful, peaceful areas and some nice people, but the racism against black people is incredibly bad. Most of the state is rural. Milwaukee is consistently ranked among the top five states for racial segregation. Of course the politics of the state seems to imply that the Klan is welcome in Wisconsin, and this is not good no matter how some people want to spin it.

The ranking is ridiculous as a result.
Thank you for understanding my point of view.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:40 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
He said Monterey, not San Francisco. Its like saying Madison sucks because Milwaukee...

There are 2 cities here with bad traffic but 20 million of us don't live in those awful places and find life far better than living in a cold flyover state.
Oh, now now. Don't be a California elitist. Wisconsin is not cold all year long, and it has some very pretty areas (at least from what I have read and heard and seen in pictures -- I have never been there), so referring to it as a "flyover state" is a bit rich. I am a lifelong Southern California resident, but I can give others states props. I believe that California overall is probably the most scenic state in the Union, but that doesn't mean other states don't have a lot of scenic beauty as well (among other positives).

Old 04-07-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Reality: Earthquakes and fires only affect a very small% of the population. More likely to die in Wisconsin in a snow related accident. There is no drought affecting anything except some farms were overbuilt. Traffic and poverty is only bad in parts of the 2 big cities. The state has a $6 billion surplus, not bankrupt at all (some poor cities are). Politics I don't care about. The rest of the issues are bad for the lower income stratum yes. So its bad QOL for people who don't have good jobs, while the rest of us are making great money and living in paradise. I doubt Milwaukee is a good place for poor folk either...it certainly has a much higher crime rate than LA.
Poverty and traffic bad in only parts of the two big cities? Traffic is bad in the entire Los Angeles Basin, as well as in San Diego, San Francisco, the Inland Empire, the East Bay, and many other areas. And Poverty is widespread and seen throughout the state, both in the large metro areas and in the smaller rural areas. California has a lot of positives and is a beautiful state, but it is far from being a utopia.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
mmmm cheese - I do miss WI cheese.
There is some good stuff here in OR, but not the variety back there.

This post has gotten silly with the "CA vs WI" dynamic.

Reminds me of grade school playground i.e. "My dad can beat up your dad."
I was thinking the same thing. Too often these threads devolve into a tit-for-tat, my X is superior to your Y or some variation of that.

The human desire to not only compete but to one-up someone else runs strong and often makes for some very comical yet immature ramblings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin