U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-09-2018, 07:59 PM
 
13 posts, read 12,126 times
Reputation: 66

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Too often these threads devolve into a tit-for-tat, my X is superior to your Y or some variation of that.

The human desire to not only compete but to one-up someone else runs strong and often makes for some very comical yet immature ramblings.
This is what always baffles me. I'm not sure why some people feel the need to bash other states for no substantive reason.

I think many in expensive areas like California or New York want people to know they are living in the "most desirable areas of the country", and if you don't bite/acknowledge, they feel the need to bring down other places.

I also think people who may have had a bad experience in ___ state tend to lump the entire state in with their experience instead of realizing the actual state had nothing to do with anything. There's crappy situations/areas/problems in EVERY state.

But I'm just one of those weirdos who believes every state has it's cool aspects/offerings, and loves visiting different places as often as I can. Have had some great times in some unexpected places/areas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2018, 11:58 AM
mlb
 
Location: North Monterey County
4,249 posts, read 3,453,159 times
Reputation: 6747
Spent the first 22 years of my life in Madison. GREAT place to grow up. Love those memories and cherish them - but Madison and Wisconsin have changed.. NOT for the better

Next 15 years in California..... 8 in San Francisco and 7 in Los Angeles where I met my husband. We left because we couldn't afford a home. Moved to Utah and bought our first house at $90K.

Fast forward and it's time for retirement - 28 years later. Will sell our house easily - probably to a Californian.

And where will we go? Just outside the commutable distance to the Bay Area in Monterey County. Semi-rural. NO SNOW. Family nearby - a sister from Wisconsin and her son and his family in Santa Cruz and Los Altos. LOTS of friends still - throughout the state.

I love both Wisconsin and California. But I cannot convince my LA husband to brave a Wisconsin winter. I don't think I would survive either.

We will visit Wisconsin because there's still family there as is my heart - but it's a long way from the way it was 40+ years ago.

Oh - and for cheese? Monterey Jack with jalopeno peppers......
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2018, 11:08 AM
 
Location: IN
22,309 posts, read 38,930,845 times
Reputation: 14872
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Spent the first 22 years of my life in Madison. GREAT place to grow up. Love those memories and cherish them - but Madison and Wisconsin have changed.. NOT for the better

Next 15 years in California..... 8 in San Francisco and 7 in Los Angeles where I met my husband. We left because we couldn't afford a home. Moved to Utah and bought our first house at $90K.

Fast forward and it's time for retirement - 28 years later. Will sell our house easily - probably to a Californian.

And where will we go? Just outside the commutable distance to the Bay Area in Monterey County. Semi-rural. NO SNOW. Family nearby - a sister from Wisconsin and her son and his family in Santa Cruz and Los Altos. LOTS of friends still - throughout the state.

I love both Wisconsin and California. But I cannot convince my LA husband to brave a Wisconsin winter. I don't think I would survive either.

We will visit Wisconsin because there's still family there as is my heart - but it's a long way from the way it was 40+ years ago.

Oh - and for cheese? Monterey Jack with jalopeno peppers......
Northern Wisconsin is going for one of the snowiest April months of record right now. Woodruff, WI in Vilas County in the Northwoods had a snow depth of 20 inches yesterday morning prior to the large winter storm they are receiving now- another 16-20 inches of snowfall. It will likely melt some next week, but snow will likely linger in deep woods areas until portions of May this year for sure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2018, 07:03 PM
mlb
 
Location: North Monterey County
4,249 posts, read 3,453,159 times
Reputation: 6747
We have snow well into June - but that's up ontop of the local mountains.

Spring wildflower walks up there not until July while it's really summer here in the foothills and flats.

I just cannot go backwards. I feel for my family and friends in Wisconsin. It's snowed this bad in April before (1973)..... it just sucks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2018, 11:01 PM
 
459 posts, read 361,515 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
He said Monterey, not San Francisco. Its like saying Madison sucks because Milwaukee...

There are 2 cities here with bad traffic but 20 million of us don't live in those awful places and find life far better than living in a cold fly over state.
Is Wisconsin even a fly over state? Most the air traffic between East and West Coasts goes into Iowa, into Illinois, or Missouri into Illinois. Not sure Wisconsin can even be called a fly over state. lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Mequon, WI
8,164 posts, read 20,790,650 times
Reputation: 5148
https://www.flightradar24.com/43.32,-88.03/7

If you follow planes you'll see we are very much a flyover state. Virtually all Chicago international flights come through Wisconsin.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 10:21 PM
 
2,795 posts, read 5,260,315 times
Reputation: 3723
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Spent the first 22 years of my life in Madison. GREAT place to grow up. Love those memories and cherish them - but Madison and Wisconsin have changed.. NOT for the better
Is there anyplace in the USA that has changed for the better? I am looking for that place and I think it does not exist.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee, WI
2,210 posts, read 1,921,555 times
Reputation: 2475
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Is there anyplace in the USA that has changed for the better? I am looking for that place and I think it does not exist.
I think, in general, life is getting better and better. Both in materialistic terms, as well as in mental terms. I think, you won't argue that part that "materialistically" we live better as a society. Progress in medicine, in home appliances, and so on - made sure that at first we did not struggle for survival, then that we don't devote half of our time just doing chores, now - most of us have too much of a free time to enjoy our life.
Just read some old fairy tales, how people would sell their children, or so on just because they had no food to feed them. Those tales are just 100-200 years old.


But also in terms of mentally getting better... When your survival is nearly guaranteed, your life no longer depends on cooperation with the pack. You can have your own views, even express them more openly with less concern for repercussions. Just look at what environment USA had in 40s and 50s and 60s towards anyone who is not in the mainstream. It was OK to publicly deny their rights, bully them, etc. Now it is not. Women (that is 50% of our society btw, so any advancement of their well-being is a big deal for the whole humanity) are free to pursuit their goals, and not confined to their houses tending to the family chores. With development of communications (radio at first, internet nowadays), our world is learning new ideas, and information flows much more openly without borders.


I think we're in a better place now, than even 20 years ago. That's my opinion, your opinion can be different.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 09:33 AM
 
Location: RI, MA, VT, WI, IL, CA, IN (that one sucked), KY
38,727 posts, read 29,287,970 times
Reputation: 36261
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Is there anyplace in the USA that has changed for the better? I am looking for that place and I think it does not exist.
Yes, many places. Many large cities specifically. They're cleaner, the crime is far reduced from 30-40 years ago, they're safer, they're is more and better culture, food supplies/nutrition, and entertainment options, and often better employment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2018, 08:51 AM
 
Location: South Florida
4,944 posts, read 6,175,423 times
Reputation: 5151
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeSurf View Post
This is what always baffles me. I'm not sure why some people feel the need to bash other states for no substantive reason.

I think many in expensive areas like California or New York want people to know they are living in the "most desirable areas of the country", and if you don't bite/acknowledge, they feel the need to bring down other places.

I also think people who may have had a bad experience in ___ state tend to lump the entire state in with their experience instead of realizing the actual state had nothing to do with anything. There's crappy situations/areas/problems in EVERY state.

But I'm just one of those weirdos who believes every state has it's cool aspects/offerings, and loves visiting different places as often as I can. Have had some great times in some unexpected places/areas.
Fantastic post!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:36 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top