U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 12:05 AM

22 posts, read 55,998 times

Advertisements

MediaDoggie, Thanks so much. Its nice to hear that someone understands. I'm just hoping once the kids start a different school next year, things will be a little better and hope to move back to NY for retirement.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 06:34 AM

431 posts, read 1,573,428 times
since you don't want to tell anybody your area the best thing I can tell you to do is go to the local library or to the city hall because they always have either maps to hiking trails and other things to do or look at the posters and see what is going on in you community and join in the local fun. there really is alot to do in wisconson you just need to be willing to try it even if it means you need to drive a bit. who knows maybe you would find a city in wisconsin that is right for your whole family.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:45 AM

12,902 posts, read 12,883,794 times
You never say much about what you do as a family, with time not working or not in school, there is alot to do in Wisconsin. Of course, again, that depends on where you are living, can't even tell us the county?

As everyone has said, can't offer any support or suggestions when we don't even know the general area. North, south, east, west????

Old 03-31-2008, 08:13 AM

375 posts, read 1,252,404 times
We have lived all over the place. Go to any of the state boards and you will find people complaining about taxes, weather and unfriendly people on every one of them.
Some people are too reserved to reach out to others.

My husband has started to read these boards and he laughs about some of the things that people get upset about. He can't believe how people comment without facts to back them up. Or whine but don't even make an attempt to have fun. There is a lot to do in WI and I think our family has proved that.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:17 AM

375 posts, read 1,252,404 times
tomcat6, since my husband does relocation for a living, he is more then happy to help your daughter find a volunteer position. I also have lots of information about schools that offer AP programs. Also lists of events in Wisconsin for your family to explore. Your daughter is interested in Spanish, I have some concerts or cultural events she might be interested in.
We are reaching out to help, to show you that WI is a great place to live with much to offer.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:07 AM

431 posts, read 1,573,428 times
tomcat6 I saw in another post that you hate wisconsin well now you wonder why your kids are so unhappy. our children pick up on our feelings and then the feelings become theirs. Everybody on this thread has tried to help you look for the positive but all you want is for some one to have a pitty party with you. Most of us who live in wisconsin love it and the ones who hate it are the ones who are not giving it a chance. Wisconsin is also like many states as far as people we have good we have bad the same goes for our cities. I think the reason you are having such a hard time is because yes you did not want to leave your last place, but life handed you a lemon now it is time to make lemonade. the sooner you accept your city the sooner your kids will. like i said in my last post maybe you just need to get out and enjoy what wisconsin has to offer and make the best of your situation. fill your life with positve people and it just may change your life. the weather is getting nicer go for a walk and meet some more of your neighbors and the people in your community. Become apart of your community instead of trying to find the negetive.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:50 AM

537 posts, read 1,836,502 times
TOMCAT6, I see lots of people willing to reach out and help you. You refuse. They are people from Wiscosnin being friendly. Yet, you won't take their help and then complain that people are unfriendly. Let your guard down and maybe you will find that people are friendly.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:30 AM

3,198 posts, read 11,944,556 times
Default This sums this up

Yep, this pretty much just sums the whole situation here up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali&ajsmom View Post
tomcat6 I saw in another post that you hate wisconsin well now you wonder why your kids are so unhappy. ... Everybody on this thread has tried to help you look for the positive but all you want is for some one to have a pitty party with you. ... I think the reason you are having such a hard time is because yes you did not want to leave your last place, but life handed you a lemon now it is time to make lemonade. the sooner you accept your city the sooner your kids will. ... Become apart of your community instead of trying to find the negetive.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:35 AM

You know, I played sports alot when I was in high school, basketball in particular.

There were particular teams that we often found ourselves EXTREMELY intimidated of before even playing with them. They might be flying around dunking before the game, or had blown their past opponents out of the water. We found that if we thought, "oh wow, we are certain to get killed", we would. Would never win once if prior to the ball game we THOUGHT WE WERE GOING TO LOSE. Negative thought like this going into something pre-determines your future.

I would say strongly the same would apply to a moving / relocation scenario. If one goes into relocation bound and determined to not have an open mind, to have every reason in the world why they'll hate their new area, they will. They just will. They have pre-determined their fate, attitude, etc., and their prophecy will be fulfilled undoubtedly...they'll end up hating it.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat6 View Post
I've just moved to Wisconsin, and personally hate it. The east is much nicer. I used to live in Youngstown, NY. The state is much different than the city. We were twenty minutes from Canada and 15 from Niagara Falls. Youngstown is right on the Niagara River and is a very nice community. You should check it out.
Me suspects this is REALLY a big root cause of this.

If the parent is going to be so outwardly downtrodden about where they end up, how would the kids not follow suit?

Somehow I suspect strongly that the parent isn't really trying to squelch depression over the relocation, yet, rather, wallow in it with the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin