Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 11:19 AM

15 posts, read 20,380 times

Advertisements

Good Day!

My husband is being transferred to a new position located in Wisconsin. Once our lease is up in August, we will be moving from Oklahoma to Wisconsin. I been researching best school districts, but I need help on the best cities/towns to look into. We do not have the credit for buying a home, so we will need to rent. Any advice you can give on that would be appreciative. I Need insider information on what to expect, family friendly things to do, what kind of winter wear should I definitely have on my buying list . Winter activities that are offered for first timer's who are not use to ice and snow. I been looking for Facebook groups in Wisconsin, but they are few and far between...if you are in one or know one. Please let me know that information as well. I just need as much information as you can give on Wisconsin and what living in Wisconsin is like.

I understand your winters are harsh, so we have that one covered
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 11:56 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Um, where in Wisconsin are you moving?

Things vary a fair amount. But everywhere, beer, cheese, cheese deep fried and dipped in ranch, and Friday night fish fries will be a thing... and the Pack.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Um, where in Wisconsin are you moving?

Things vary a fair amount. But everywhere, beer, cheese, cheese deep fried and dipped in ranch, and Friday night fish fries will be a thing... and the Pack.

haven't really focused on a particular city/town yet. My husband's company is based out of Green Bay, but his management said we can live anywhere in WI. We are hoping people can give us the best Cities/Towns to focus on. The three biggest things is 1) Availability of housing 2)Schools 3) Commute to local colleges, stores etc....

Old 01-15-2019, 05:23 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,913,927 times
What is your budget? Do you prefer big cities, suburbs, small towns, rural areas? Wisconsin is a pretty big state...

Old 01-15-2019, 10:24 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,154 times
Buy the kids a couple of plastic ‘boat sleds’ at wal mart or target. That will get them properly acclimated to upper midwest outdoor snow fun . Waterproof snow boots and snowpants too.

If you don’t have to be stuck near Green Bay or the Fox Valley, maybe look at smaller communities near Madison or Milwaukee. Not sure what sort of cost of living you are expecting vs OK. How do the rents look overall on apartments.com compared to where you are currently?

Old 01-16-2019, 06:57 AM

746 posts, read 837,611 times
The only 2 cities that have any semblance of reality in Wisconsin are Madison or Milwaukee. I would seriously not recommend moving anywhere in this state outside of the boundaries of either one.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:07 AM

1,081 posts, read 548,336 times
I tell everyone who moves here from the warmer climates to get a heated mattress pad. It makes getting out of bed in the morning a mental battle, but it definitely makes life better. Check Shopko or even Amazon for heated mattress pads (they go under the sheets rather than on top like an electric blanket.)

I had all of the US to choose from and I chose the Fox Valley area. It fit me and my family's needs. So my biased opinion would be for the Fox Valley area.

If you want to get far Northern Experience, most people who move up to Ashland, WI seem pretty happy. You could also look into Plover or Steven's Point area if looking for a college town. Superior, WI is right across from Duluth, MN. That get's you in Wisconsin with a larger college town next door.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:14 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,885,691 times
I'd pick Appleton WI or smaller towns around it (aka Fox Valley). Not too rural, not too conservative, low crime, good education, great outdoors.

Other options could be …
1) Milwaukee (aka the biggest, with the most amenities, the city).
2) Madison (second big - although much smaller, centrally located, without some problems of Mke)
3) Kenosha or Racine - closer to Chicago which is even bigger than Mke, no county sales tax in Racine.
4) Eau Clair - close to Minneapolis, some people like it too.
5) Oshkosh or Wasau - not too bad places either, not too small, not too big.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
What is your budget? Do you prefer big cities, suburbs, small towns, rural areas? Wisconsin is a pretty big state...

1500/mo prefer a house (im spoiled with the house I have now), but it seems you guys really love your duplexes... We may be able to rent for 1600/mo,but that's our cut off. I live in a city of over 1million people, but I don't care much for it. Milwaukee is definitely out, but may consider an suburb . The more friendly the city/town the better! Rural is ok,but need a short commute into the nearest city (no more than 45mins)

Old 01-17-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Buy the kids a couple of plastic ‘boat sleds’ at wal mart or target. That will get them properly acclimated to upper midwest outdoor snow fun . Waterproof snow boots and snowpants too.

If you don’t have to be stuck near Green Bay or the Fox Valley, maybe look at smaller communities near Madison or Milwaukee. Not sure what sort of cost of living you are expecting vs OK. How do the rents look overall on apartments.com compared to where you are currently?

I heard Green Bay is trash, but I was definitely interested in Depere/Howard areas. Your cost of living seems much higher on housing, which we were expecting that. You can get a decent 3-4 bedroom house in Oklahoma for rent for about 1200-1300 ,but really depends on the location...Nicer the town, higher the price, but even our newly built homes get rented out for no more that 1600/mo ...I found those places seem to be not existent in WI...maybe Im not looking in the right places... Places to live are a dime a dozen in Oklahoma...take your pick...you will very much find something to suit your needs. Apartments in Oklahoma are not an option because they only go up to 3 bedroom and are considerably smaller than an house. Which we are a family of 5 and kind of spoiled where we are at (we rent a nice big house)

Seems like Wi really loves duplexes and apartments ... Definitely more expensive, which I am not understanding why unless WI is an like the new Colorado or something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin