Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 03:04 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times

Advertisements

I've lived a significant part of my life in southern Wi. How much colder is winter north of Wausau? How much longer is winter? The only personal information I ever received was from a guy on my HS football team, whose family had just moved from Superior. He said they had to wear longjohns under their gear for practice, starting in Oct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 10:11 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,781,314 times
Maybe 5-7 degrees warmer in the south than the north on average. I do believe they get much more snow around Superior.

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/uswi0411
https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/uswi0676

Old 07-15-2018, 10:20 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I've lived a significant part of my life in southern Wi. How much colder is winter north of Wausau? How much longer is winter? The only personal information I ever received was from a guy on my HS football team, whose family had just moved from Superior. He said they had to wear longjohns under their gear for practice, starting in Oct.
Superior is a long way from Wausau (3.5 hrs. to be exact). The weather in Superior would not be the same as in Wausau. Every season is different than the next, so while you might need longjohns in October this year, you may not, next year.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:03 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
The coldest region of the state is the northern highland belt stretching from Hayward, Phillips, Tomahawk, Rhinelander, and Manitowish Waters. The state coldest low temperature of record was -55F in the village of Couderay in Sawyer County, February, 1996. The snowiest region of the state is the Lake Superior Snowbelt of Iron, Vilas, and Ashland counties- clipping portions of a few other WI counties but concentrating on the western UP of MI. Winters are not as cold south of a Stevens Point line, but snow is often less which could be a pro/con depending on perspective.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 07-18-2018 at 08:39 PM..

Old 07-18-2018, 12:38 AM

170 posts, read 176,497 times
The winters are longer in northern Wisconsin. 60-90 days of snowcover in the south. 90-120 days of snowcover in the north.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:57 PM

4 posts, read 5,135 times
I have lived in Wisconsin for my whole life. 50 years. Still live full time in southwestern wi and planning my escape north. I've had a cabin by the border of the UP for 9 years. Southwestern wisconsin actually feels colder I believe because it is damp and a river valley. Most of the time northwoods snow is drier so it's easier to shovel. It's like fluff. I'm in the snow belt. There is a lot of lake effect snow. I think it's more comfortable in the winter up north than the south due to drier air, even though temps are colder. Northwoods has bluer skies prettier scenery as far as I'm concerned because of all the spruce and pine. The air quality is definitely better than south wi. Sinuses are always clear up north. Again, outdoor opportunities abound more up north. More ski trails, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, fat tire bike trails

Old 09-09-2018, 05:54 PM

246 posts, read 349,369 times
I grew up in HELLinois on the border and left in 99. Spent 4 years in Florida, (HORRIBLE HUMIDITY!) and 12 years in Montana. Now i'm just west of Minocqua and i find it similar to a Montana winter climate with a LOT more son. Way nicer than i remember HELLinois....

Old 09-13-2018, 02:03 AM

26 posts, read 31,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post

I was born and raised in Ashland, WI (65 miles south of Superior). My parents were, too. They finally moved us down to Colorado Springs in 1972 because, as my mom put it, "We're sick of snow and cold 8 months of the year." Typical winter/fall in Ashland requires dressing in layers. Long johns, two pairs of socks, always have mittens and a heavy scarf with you. That wind gets pretty bitter quickly.

I've been back a couple of times in the winter, and every time I'm surprised "Oh! BRRR. I forgot how cold this was!" I also lived in Janesville a couple of years ago (I missed the fish frys, good cheese and having water nearby). It wasn't quite as nippy, but they were having a record winter of snow (100 inches). Ashland gets around 94 inches.

I still have cousins that live up in/near Ashland. They're so used to the winters, they take it in stride. But they have told me the thunderstorms they've been getting in the spring and summer are wilder and more severe and frequent than 40 years ago. Lots of flooding, washed out roads, downed trees. I'm not sure how much further south into WI this pattern extends. Having said all that, I love WI. So beautiful. So friendly.

Cheers!

Old 09-14-2018, 07:22 AM

19 posts, read 21,333 times
I know for sure that if you live in North Wisconsin you get a good 10 more of snow then you would in Southern Wisconsin. Temperatures are pretty close they are usually within 10 degrees of each other. It might be more windy in the north which is pretty common.

Old 10-22-2023, 03:54 PM

240 posts, read 236,073 times
Are insects (mosquitoes especially) more severe in the Southern regions than further North?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin