Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 05:37 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky08 View Post
This post is a little late to respond, but maybe it will help someone else. Sometimes neighbors swear they know how fast someone is going. They rattle off speed like they are a traffic cop with expertise, but it is just an assumption on their part. I had a lady yell at me to slow down twice in my neighborhood, and I constantly watch my speed because I have children and wouldn't want them to get hurt. The days this lady told me to slow down I was going less than the speed limit. Then one day I came down my own street and my husband commented on how fast I was going, and I told him that I wasn't going nearly as fast as he thought. In fact, I was on the breaks. I came to realize that when people are standing still cars going by just look like they are going faster. The size of the car and the color make a difference too, and the exhaust makes a difference as well. I think these neighbors who yell at cars aren't making a difference at all. I think it would be wiser to advocate your neighborhood association to advocate for speed bumps, speed limit signs and traffic cops to patrol the area. And a lot of times these sanctimonious people who yell "slow down" speed themselves. We actually had a neighbor who yelled at a neighbor for speeding, but he got pulled over in our neighborhood for speeding. Judgment is easy, assumptions are not based on fact and screaming at people is simply not a solution. It would be wiser to put that same energy into advocating for speed bumps, going out and talking to neighbors kindly about how they could help reduce the speed, and asking for police help.
I agree that the screaming at fast drivers isn't a great idea. My Mother In Law was visiting us and she did scream at a fast driver who lives in our neighborhood and we ended up with a full year of this driver tossing his fast food wrappers out on our property..NICE.
You say you constantly watch your speed, that when you got yelled at you were "on the brakes", the color of cars makes a difference how fas they appear to be going as does the exhaust??? WHAT??? A fast car is a fast car no matter what color it is or how much exhaust it is tossing out the ass end. No where did you say exactly how fast you do drive and what the speed limit is in your neighborhood.
We live on a large hill and I think the drivers feel that they have to get a big headstart to get up the hill. The speed limit is 25mph all the way to the top of our hill and then some. Yesterday I was outside talking to my son and we saw a car literally ROCKET up the hill..my son even commented about how fast this person was going. The car was tan, minimal exhaust and no I didn't yell at him. Will I eventually call the cops?? NO..they don't care. I will more than likely go to our online city website and launch an attack that way..works better.
Look, I am not here to lecture anyone on driving fast. You all know who you are and how fast you go. The lesson will come when you go off the road, fast or slow and hurt someone because you might be a lousy driver. Just watch the speedometer, don't talk on your cells and drive for the conditions of the road and where you are...think of others while you are in the several lethal tons of metal you are pushing up that hill or down that road too fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 11:34 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
it's best not to say anything agreed... but this is coming from a person who is more annoyed at people driving slow. However, with the littering I'd get them on camera multiple times, get their plates, and call the cops. Two wrongs don't make a right when it comes to throwing trash out of one's car window. Litterbugs need to be taught a lesson since they probably do it all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
View detailed profiles of: