Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 07:08 PM

537 posts, read 1,936,188 times

Advertisements

We used tomato juice and then we went to the pet store and bought some special shampoo. We had to wash her a few times but it eventually got better. The 2 things did the trick and the smell did go away pretty quickly.
We had to drive home though and we had her in the back of the SUV and we had the windows wide open!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 07:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,913,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Drover, I love my dog to much to do that. We just let him stay in the house.
Didn't that make your house smell like skunk? Your furniture and stuff?

Last edited by golfgal; 04-13-2008 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: language

Old 04-13-2008, 06:39 AM

1,085 posts, read 3,560,548 times
We've been lucky, knock on wood, but our dog has never been sprayed by a skunk.

When we first move out here we used to have coons constantly tearing up our bird feeders. One day I decided I was going to build a live trap, trap them all and relocate them, get rid of them once and for all. The live trap was made out of plywood, sides, top and bottom. I put some vertical rods spaced about an inch apart for the back and made the door out of plywood with a couple of door springs and latch to trigger and lock it. Worked like a charm!!

I started trapping coons! tTe first night and every night thereafter for about two weeks I got a coon ....... and the neighbors cat twice. The coons I loaded up in my truck, drove them out a few miles and released them.

Then I trapped a skunk! I didn't want to upset it so very gently I picked up the trap carried it across the road, set it down, carefully opened the door, and ran like a bat out of you know where. I watched and waited about thirty yards away, but the skunk wouldn't come out of the trap. I swear it was half hour before that dumb skunk decided to leave the trap. That was the end of my trapping days.

I figured it was like sitting in a lake on a row boat taking water with a bucket from one side and pouring it out the other side. As soon as you get rid of one coon another moves in to take its place.

I put the bird feeders on one inch pipe, shepherd hooks or hung them far out on a branch where the coons couldn't climb the post or tree and get to them. We've never had a problem since then.

I just had to learn to live with the animals around us.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:35 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,575,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Didn't that make your house smell like skunk? Your furniture and stuff?
Yes and No,
He's short haired so I felt as though it could've been worse. Luckily it was during the summer, so we just had some windows open as well. After a few weeks it wore off.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:13 PM

438 posts, read 1,728,306 times
I'm more afraid of possums & raccoons than bears or wolves. Them lil varmints can be mean!!! We had a 17 lb (no kidding) possum decide to move into our outdoor kennel with our dogs. Took us a while to figure out how they were going through so much food & water. Then one day I'm home with the flu and decide to put the dogs in the kennel so I could nap. The possum wasn't about to let me come anywhere near the door. Dogs acted like it was a long lost cousin come to visit Called the dogs back to the house and called my husband at work to come take care of it (yes, I'm a wimp).

One of my dogs (brittanys) decided to try and retrieve a porcupine on two separate occasions! But thank goodness neither of them has made friends with a skunk.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:24 AM

12 posts, read 48,103 times
I've lived in Wisconsin for 46 years, and saw my first bear last summer. I've never seen a wild coyete or wolf. Lots of deer, opossums, skunks and small noctural animals. Children are more in danger from the neighbors hunt'in dogs and grandpa with the shotgun (who is looking for the bear)

Old 04-16-2008, 04:34 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,512,845 times
I see many bear and coyote up north here and my mom on Monday had a wolf 50 yards from her house but when it spotted her took off fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin