Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 07:11 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,094,821 times

Advertisements

Snow shoveling kills about a dozen people a year in Milwaukee, yet homeowners are required by law to shovel snow on sidewalks in front of their houses.

I'm a southern transplant, so I'm trying to understand this phenomenon. I don't mind shoveling personally. I'm just alarmed at the body count.

I mean, how many people die from walking on snowy sidewalks every year? Why force people to shovel?

Last edited by AguaDulce; 01-30-2019 at 08:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 07:43 PM

6,455 posts, read 3,977,052 times
You're obviously not disabled, nor close to anyone who is...

Old 01-30-2019, 07:49 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
From someone who really enjoys shoveling, and I shovel my long drive way when I could easily use my snow blower, there is a trick to being able to shovel all day long without killing yourself...take smaller bites. That's it, when I see people shoveling they all are trying to get the most amount of snow on their shovel and toss it 6 ft away and they try to get it all done in under 20min. This is wrong, take your time and slowly shovel smaller loads and you will barely break a sweat. Granted on days like today I understand why you want to get it done asap, take a break, do the sidewalks then come back later and do driveways. It's not rocket surgery but people who rarely shovel act like it's a strongman competition oh sorry Strong Person competition. Be less rabbit more turtle.

Oh btw get an awesome shovel, the right tool is worth it's weight in gold!

Old 01-30-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
You're obviously not disabled, nor close to anyone who is...
And you have obviously never lost anyone who died shoveling.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
From someone who really enjoys shoveling, and I shovel my long drive way when I could easily use my snow blower, there is a trick to being able to shovel all day long without killing yourself...take smaller bites. That's it, when I see people shoveling they all are trying to get the most amount of snow on their shovel and toss it 6 ft away and they try to get it all done in under 20min. This is wrong, take your time and slowly shovel smaller loads and you will barely break a sweat. Granted on days like today I understand why you want to get it done asap, take a break, do the sidewalks then come back later and do driveways. It's not rocket surgery but people who rarely shovel act like it's a strongman competition oh sorry Strong Person competition. Be less rabbit more turtle.

Oh btw get an awesome shovel, the right tool is worth it's weight in gold!
Like I said, I actually don't mind shoveling. I always do it.

I'm just alarmed at the number of people who die shoveling snow every single time it snows.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:39 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,862,590 times
Shoveling out a driveway and push mowing a lawn are the only forms of exercise some people get. Add extreme weather to a poor cardiopulmonary system & those individuals are asking for trouble.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Shoveling out a driveway and push mowing a lawn are the only forms of exercise some people get. Add extreme weather to a poor cardiopulmonary system & those individuals are asking for trouble.
And yet, homeowners are required by law to undertake these tasks. No liability issues?

Old 01-30-2019, 09:31 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,862,590 times
Where would walkers or commuters walk if sidewalks aren't shoveled? The street? There'd be more deaths then.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Where would walkers or commuters walk if sidewalks aren't shoveled? The street? There'd be more deaths then.
Good point.

I live in West Allis. For the past week many people have been walking in the street anyway because, even if the sidewalks are shoveled, the snow plows push the snow so that it blocks the part of the sidewalk at the end of the block where it meets the street.

Just sayin.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:21 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
. No liability issues?

None.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin