Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 03:12 AM

4 posts, read 6,316 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to retire in Southwest or South Central Wisconsin. We are looking for an area that is rural but not too far from a larger city to shop in.( But not by Madison or Milwaukee.) About 20 miles. Also away from any flood zones. Any suggestion would be great. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 03:38 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
What do you mean by "rural?"---out among the farms & bush on 40ac plus, or in small town? What are your interests (besides shopping)?-- hunting, fishing, hiking, gardening, or sitting by the TV and playing solitaire?

If you're outdoorsy, you may enjoy the Driftless Area https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driftless_Area It has hills, valleys and a unique ecology; home to many organic farms (hilly landscape doesn't lend itself well to large farms) & many arty-craftsy types.

We had record precipitation this year, and many of the small towns (built along the rivers) had problems with flooding (who'd uv thunk it?) Just go for locations on higher elevations outside of town.

Check out this PBS series on various WI towns https://www.pbs.org/show/around-corner-john-mcgivern/

Old 12-19-2018, 10:42 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,787,522 times
Eden, St. Peter, and The Holyland near Fond du Lac is rural and lovely. But you'd be close to Fond du Lac for shopping, medical care, etc.

Mineral Point in the Driftless region is one of my favorites. It's mostly art studios and small restaurants. But you're not far from "civilization."

There are many rural areas with properties available near Wisconsin Dells, Mauston, Portage, and Baraboo. (My husband and I just spent the last year looking in that area for acreage.)

Also, Waupaca and the little town of Rural might be of interest to you. Maybe it's further north than you were thinking, but I am throwing it in the mix, just in case. If you're looking for very small, Poygan near Winneconne is a place to check out. Also, Omro and Rushford. You'd be close to Oshkosh and Appleton (and Neenah- Menasha.)

Good luck to you. I hope you find the perfect place.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:45 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Eden, St. Peter, and The Holyland near Fond du Lac is rural and lovely. But you'd be close to Fond du Lac for shopping, medical care, etc.

Mineral Point in the Driftless region is one of my favorites. It's mostly art studios and small restaurants. But you're not far from "civilization."

There are many rural areas with properties available near Wisconsin Dells, Mauston, Portage, and Baraboo. (My husband and I just spent the last year looking in that area for acreage.)

Also, Waupaca and the little town of Rural might be of interest to you. Maybe it's further north than you were thinking, but I am throwing it in the mix, just in case. If you're looking for very small, Poygan near Winneconne is a place to check out. Also, Omro and Rushford. You'd be close to Oshkosh and Appleton (and Neenah- Menasha.)

Good luck to you. I hope you find the perfect place.

All good suggestions. Mineral Point is very nice, indeed.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:56 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,787,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
All good suggestions. Mineral Point is very nice, indeed.
I love Mineral Point. We went for Cornish-fest a couple of years ago and I was expecting crowds. I think there were 12 people there, total.

You really can't beat the scenery around that area, either. It's just gorgeous, isn't it?

Old 12-19-2018, 11:01 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
It is, I prefer closer to Spring Green (the dry prairies), and the bluffs along the Wisc and Miss Rivers, but its all great.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:29 AM

4 posts, read 6,316 times
We have 2 pet goats and would like 2 acres or more for hobby farm and gardening. Shopping once a week or so. Internet access a plus. We are from the Upper Peninsula Michigan so weather will be a plus. The counties we are thinking about are: LaCrosse, Monroe, Richland, Sauk, Iowa, Columbia. I understand Vernon and Crawford Counties were flooded this year, so we want to avoid those. Would like to stay away from the Wisconsin Dells. We hope to go to craft fairs and farmers markets too. Thank you.

Last edited by bkhchmyers; 12-20-2018 at 03:04 AM..

Old 12-20-2018, 03:57 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
All excellent suggestions above. You can't go wrong with anything in the SW quadrant of the state.

We're only about 10 miles from the Dells and hardly know it's there (It's kinds like NYC- everybody should go there once, but no need to ever go back again Their tourism doesn't drift very far from the Dells proper (Is that why they call it The Driftless Area?)

Don't exclude the general area of the Dells from your enquiries. Besides the natural beauty of the terrain, that end of Sauk Co. has very easy access to Madison along I94 or Rt 12.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:57 PM

361 posts, read 861,777 times
Since you mentioned LaCrosse County as a possible place, I would encourage you to check the area out. It is big enough to offer most any shopping you would need, downtown LaCrosse seems to have made nice changes the past few years with more food and entertainment options, there are farmers markets and many festivals in the area and if you do want a visit to a bigger city, you have Rochester, Minneapolis or Madison only 1 to 2 hours away. It also looks like you are a little flexible on where you live so there should be some options on the land you want.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:41 PM

1,264 posts, read 666,761 times
There are many exceptional areas in Wisconsin to retire in,
but my advice/.02 cents would be to visit and explore Green County. It has everything you mentioned and then some.
It's Swiss influence is seen immediately with tradition, architecture, food, drink, and a love of cheese!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin