Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Wisconsin Redesign the license plates?
Yes 24 82.76%
No 5 17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:08 PM

153 posts, read 565,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
My god you aren't kidding about that. That is the worst state quarter design that exists. What's sad, is that there were other earlier designs that were much more appealing, and didn't involve farms, milk, cheese, or cows.
Ain't that the truth? It looks like the cow is going to eat the cheese, and it looks like the corn is growing right out of the cheese. What's worse is that national attention was brought to the state quarter because of a minting error. People all over the country were examining their WI state quarters to see if they had the rare one. It was embarrassing.

Last edited by wanderlusting; 04-17-2008 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 09:30 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
Our qaurter is pretty dull. I think the license plates are the real problem though.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:46 AM

153 posts, read 565,620 times
The problem lies with the way WI promotes itself in general, on license plates and coins and in other areas too. It needs to change. The motto on the coin says "Forward", but we're not moving forward. I'm not saying we shouldn't take pride in our dairy history. I'm just saying there's so much more to us than cheese. I wasn't trying to change the topic on your thread. Sorry if you thought that.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:48 PM

No worries wanderlusting. I get exactly what you mean.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:42 AM

Can anyone tell me where I would have to go in order to get a contact number to someone at the DOT, to try and have them hold a contest? I think it would be cool to allow high school kids to design plates and submit there ideas.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:45 PM

656 posts, read 1,309,151 times
yes i agree they are quite bland but at least they changed them i remember the red was fading from the sun and they changed it to black.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:58 PM

This thread is back from the dead!

lol jk Shannon, I see your new here. I wish the state could go in the direction of a northwoods or driftless area style plate.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:28 PM

37 posts, read 57,220 times
Default Cop...change our plates!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
CD members,
If you ask me, I think Wisconsin plates are kind of bland. I liked the sesquincentenial (Spelling?) plates. I thought about maybe trying to design a new plate that has to do with a certain region of the state. Maybe one called the friends of Devils Lake or something? I see states like North Carolina and Tennessee have tons of license plates offered. Any ideas for new plates?

Back in the early 80's, or maybe before (we've had the current design so long, I can't even remember when it started) there was a guy on a local Milwaukee radio station (maybe Gordon Hinkley), I think it was WTMJ, but I may be wrong, who started promoting the idea of changing the yellow and black plates. Somehow, it turned into a state contest, (during Tony Earl's administration) and the winning design is what we've been looking at for nearly 20 years. I remember seeing all of the designs in the contest printed in the paper back then too.
I do not know why we keep the same design for so long, but its ridiculous. I don't think its a money issue either. I just moved back to WI from MS, and even they, the poorest state in the nation, change there's every 5 years. The current one is really cool with the Biloxi Lighthouse on it...with a sun backdrop...the symbolism is to depict Biloxi growing out of the destruction of Katrina. Anyway, we were going to change WI plates a few years ago to yellow and black again, with a neat north woodsey theme on it, but the legislature decided against it. One of their irks was it didn't have the hokey "America's Dairyland" slogan, and, at the time, you could go to WDOT site and vote on the design, and apparently not enough people voted in the new designs favor. Consequently, they just choose to make the Wisconsin Bolder and letters in black.
I would contact the WDOT and call the local talk radio stations to see if the guy from way back when is still around, maybe he could help?
I think this is a great cause and thread, and if we can reach a point of critical mass, we can finally get rid of those ugly plates and get new ones that tell the real WI story...which is far more than cheese, milk and a stupid barn and silo.
Let me know how I may be of any assistance...and lets get this thing going!!

Last edited by MrBiloxi; 07-21-2008 at 11:43 PM..

Old 07-22-2008, 01:22 PM

Mr.Biloxi, Do you know what position in the WDOT we would need to contact? I would love to have a new plate soon.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:13 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,590,155 times
Josh, I don't know how far this would get you, but here's a mailing address:

Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Hill Farms State Transportation Building
4802 Sheboygan Avenue
P.O. Box 7910
Madison, WI 53707-7910

I poked around on their site and while they have a bunch of different email addresses, they're all for specific purposes.
Contact Us - Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Just for the heck of it...special license plates: Special license plates - Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin