Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,490 times

Advertisements

I'm in the early stages of looking for a lakefront vacation home and was wondering if anyone can suggest some good WI lakes to start my search.

I am looking for someplace that is within 2 hours of Highland Park, IL (or Chicago)
Clean swimming lakes without a lot of water sports.
Price of lakefront homes around $100-$250K...distressed properties okay.
Prefer woodsey areas with some land.

Any comments on Brussels, WI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 11:02 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Yeah, its longer than 2 hrs from you! More like 3.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:59 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
If you're looking as far as Brussels in Door County, I would also look in the Northwoods of Vilas and Oneida counties. I like Trout Lake, High Lake, and Fishtrap Lake in Vilas, but very spendy in terms of real estate prices, but more reasonable for non lakefront. The advantage is hundreds of miles of trails nearby and nice national forest and state forest trails around.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:34 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,250,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoulihan View Post
I'm in the early stages of looking for a lakefront vacation home and was wondering if anyone can suggest some good WI lakes to start my search.

I am looking for someplace that is within 2 hours of Highland Park, IL (or Chicago)
Clean swimming lakes without a lot of water sports.
Price of lakefront homes around $100-$250K...distressed properties okay.
Prefer woodsey areas with some land.

Any comments on Brussels, WI?
Your budget is too low for the good areas with the highest density of lakes/properties up north around Vilas/Oneida counties. There everything on your bucket list is possible except price/distance. Expect a minimum of 3 hours for *anything* remotely decent (except price).

Here is an example of what 250K buys-
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...88561344_zpid/

Last edited by damba; 01-15-2019 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: Added info

Old 01-16-2019, 06:45 AM

1,081 posts, read 548,641 times
As a former Illinoisan, two-hours is not far enough North to find what you are looking for. Additionally, gasoline powered water sports tend to foul pristine waters, so many pristine lakes ban the use of gasoline powered engines.

What I found in my search for clean water when looking was that Wisconsin (along with most other states) have fouled their waters with industry in the late 1800s and early to mid 1900s. To find clean water these days, you have to get far North and far away from industrialized areas. Two hours north of Chicago just is not far enough to get out of the industrial, mining, logging, and farm areas.

Given those issues and the need to keep it close, most other Illinoisans looking for a Northern Escape look along the shores of Delavan Lake, Geneva Lake, or Lake Koshkonong.

Being a little over two hours further north of you, people here, when looking for a Northern Escape, head to Shawano Lake or a cabin along Green Bay (Lake Michigan.) You could also look around Mountain, WI if you are looking that far North.

Minocqua is a nice area, touristy, with lots of options but they tend to be expensive as someone else pointed out. There are lots of little lakes in that area.

In Illinois, there is Lake Summerset, NW of Rockford, IL, that might be worth looking into. It's in your 2hr range and you are on interstate for a lot of the trip.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:03 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
And remember, the 2 hrs on google/mapquest, etc on a day like today, is going to be different than 2 hrs on a Thursday or Friday afternoon during the summer, nevermind a holiday weekend.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:41 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,786,461 times
Just throwing this out there for your consideration: Lake Poygan/ Lake Winneconne. You'd be able to buy a lot more for your money in that area. I lived in Poygan for a couple of years right on the lake. It was beautiful... my neighbors built a gorgeous home next-door. They were from Illinois and would come up every other week or so.
You're close to Oshkosh, Neenah, and Appleton for conveniences, although Winneconne does have a grocery store, ShopKo, Kwik Trip, Subway, a few bars and restaurants such as The Fin n' Feather, etc.

Winneconne is a homey, small village, but it does have its charm. It's surrounded by water, the home prices are fairly low, and people are friendly... low crime, slower paced. Butte des Morts is nearby, as well, and that also has some lovely lake-front homes. Just a couple places to look into if they sound like they might be interesting to you.

Good luck in your search.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:41 AM

That area doesn’t really buy you much either, unfortunately.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:35 PM

1,081 posts, read 548,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
And remember, the 2 hrs on google/mapquest, etc on a day like today, is going to be different than 2 hrs on a Thursday or Friday afternoon during the summer, nevermind a holiday weekend.
Trying to drive north on I90/I94 over the Illinois-Wisconsin border is a nightmare on Friday afternoons and Saturday mid-morning. I can't count the number of times I have been stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic doing 25mph from Rockton, IL to Janesville, WI then 45mph from Janesville, WI to Madison, WI on a Friday afternoon.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
Trying to drive north on I90/I94 over the Illinois-Wisconsin border is a nightmare on Friday afternoons and Saturday mid-morning. I can't count the number of times I have been stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic doing 25mph from Rockton, IL to Janesville, WI then 45mph from Janesville, WI to Madison, WI on a Friday afternoon.
Meh. If you think that’s bad, try spending time getting out of downtown Chicago during rush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin