Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 04:56 PM

17 posts, read 19,034 times

Advertisements

I lived in Southeast Wisconsin (Waukesha County) for three years and made several jaunts north. I've lived in South Carolina twice, Tennessee, and might be moving to Texas later this year. I've been to most states east of the Mississippi and some to the west. I've never seen anything in the United States close to being as beautiful as Wisconsin. Nowhere I'd rather live. (In the US.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 05:10 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglican-mac View Post
I lived in Southeast Wisconsin (Waukesha County) for three years and made several jaunts north. I've lived in South Carolina twice, Tennessee, and might be moving to Texas later this year. I've been to most states east of the Mississippi and some to the west. I've never seen anything in the United States close to being as beautiful as Wisconsin. Nowhere I'd rather live. (In the US.)
Now someone is smoking the wisconsin sweet grass. I have Wisconsin being only prettier than say 10 states, so I have Wisconsin at the bottom. Don't get me wrong, I love our state but it's only better than Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Mississippi, Alabama, Iowa, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Delaware, Indiana.

I have Wisconsin being in the same category as states like LA, AR, MO, OH, GA, PA, MD.
I love pretty much all states out west of the mississippi river except ND.

Let's not act like Wisconsin is in the Top 10 of beautiful states.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:24 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglican-mac View Post
Nothing wrong with that.
I’ve been to 47 states, many of them thoroughly, and I still rank Wisconsin pretty high.
Is it breathtaking? Is it spectacular? Not words I’d use, but very pretty and pastoral. Just a good place to live.
Generally clean, orderly, civil.
While places like Utah wow me on vacations, the Great Lakes are subtle, and quite frankly, I guess they can be quite spectacular in their own way. At dusk when the lines between peaceful water and sky are difficult to discern, there’s no place I’d rather be.
No doubt the other states surrounding the Lakes can offer a similar experience, but Wisconsin holds a special place to me.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:35 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Now someone is smoking the wisconsin sweet grass. I have Wisconsin being only prettier than say 10 states, so I have Wisconsin at the bottom. Don't get me wrong, I love our state but it's only better than Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Mississippi, Alabama, Iowa, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Delaware, Indiana.

I have Wisconsin being in the same category as states like LA, AR, MO, OH, GA, PA, MD.

I would put Wisconsin in my top 10.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:01 PM

7,114 posts, read 4,536,107 times
My home state Wisconsin is beautiful!

Old 08-14-2019, 06:24 AM

904 posts, read 665,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I would put Wisconsin in my top 10.
i have traveled throughout the USA. I find WI to be on par with NH or Vermont for the green pastures. The northern lakes are beautiful. I would put it in the top 10 or close to it. I love the bluffs over on the western part of the state. Even before we lived in WI, I loved coming here because it was so picturesque.
If i had to pick a state for the best scenery I would pick Alaska hands down. The mountains are awe inspiring. Same with the glaciers.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:25 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post

That is their opinion, not yours.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:05 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
My favorite time of year in WI is early April until early August. I love that in April the days are getting longer. The bugs are not a factor. Yes, sometimes in April we get snow but you know it won't last. Those 1st few warm days are heaven. It is all a harbinger of the better weather that will be here. I live for the orioles and hummingbirds coming back. The daffodils poking up through the ground.

Fall to me is over so fast. One day the trees are brilliant and the rain comes through and they are gone. The days are so much shorter and the cold will be here before you know it. The 1st snow in October doesn't last but reminds me that those snowy days are coming fast.

Nope give me spring and summer anytime.
I’m not sure if it is climate change or something else, but we haven’t gotten snow in October for years, at least in the southern part of the state. We didn’t even have consistent snow cover until after New Years this year.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:26 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I’m not sure if it is climate change or something else, but we haven’t gotten snow in October for years, at least in the southern part of the state. We didn’t even have consistent snow cover until after New Years this year.
Maybe you were not in Madison last October. There was snow during the Wisconsin/Illinois football game.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:08 AM

174 posts, read 232,089 times
Lived in NH for 23 years and it belongs in the top 6 or 7. WI in the top 15. NH had the mountains and the ocean within a 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour drive from almost anywhere and the fall colors are second to none. VT and Maine rank highly also as the Green Mountains and the Maine coastline are stunning. WI doesn't really have many high spots or mountains like the East or West areas. When I drive WI I don't see anywhere near the color you have in the fall like those 3 states. Certain area up north in WI are very pretty but you have to drive 3 to 4 hours to see them. I drive in southern to Central WI and have to look hard to find a lot of color. I used to drive home from work in NH and you saw color everywhere it was like the woods were on fire. They also get more snow in winter out there which if you're going to have winter at least have the snow to recreate in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin