Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 12:36 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,443,642 times

Advertisements

We've been in Minnesota going on 3 years.....originally from Michigan and have also lived in other parts of the country.

I've come to brag on Minnesota. We love it here and think it's so beautiful. We really get into the whole Wisconsin/Minnesota rivalry thing and are quick to take our new home state's side on pretty much everything......except for the obvious stuff.

First, the beer. Wisconsin wins. Sorry, not even close. No sense in even trying to elaborate.

The food, too. It goes without saying that people who know beer will know food as well. Again, it's good in Minnesota, but it's great in Wisconsin.

And most of all, the scenery........and not to say that Minnesota isn't beautiful, because it is, but Wisconsin is the crown jewel of the Midwest in this category. The x factor here is western Wisconsin's driftless area, which I'm convinced most people outside of the state aren't even aware exists. Wisconsin, Minnesota and even Michigan all boast beautiful farmland, inland lakes, Great Lakes shoreline and vast forests.....and Minnesota has a small driftless area of its own, but the Wisconsin driftless is so much bigger and stunningly gorgeous. It literally reminds us of the Ozarks down in Missouri and Arkansas because the topography is so incredibly similar. We spent a ton of time in the Ozarks when we lived in that region and were so happy to find areas that resembled them up here. Totally unexpected!

I've been in the closet about other areas of Wisconsin, too. I love Wausau. Beautiful area. Shawano, too......their downtown area is really cool and I love the big lake on the edge of town. To me that sort of place is a postcard for small town, USA. I always try to travel through there whenever going to visit family in Michigan. I also love the Marinette area that borders the UP of Michigan. That is a really pretty area. I actually worked in Lake Geneva, WI while we lived across the border in Illinois for a year, so I know how beautiful it is is the SE part of the state as well. We used to take day trips to Madison and just loved it there. What a cool city setup between those 2 huge lakes. And get this - we haven't even been to Ashland or any of the northern Lake Superior Wisconsin shoreline yet!

Not sure why I even made this post. I think I subliminally needed to get this off my chest in association with the silly guilt I've been feeling in correlation with my Minnesota pride. How embarrassing! .......but also invigorating!

My wife and I get one getaway weekend a year whenever the MIL comes to stay. This year its the Wisconsin driftless in autumn. Hands down. Can't wait. Just don't tell anyone over here......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 06:50 AM

747 posts, read 838,426 times
Not sure I understand the beer argument, but you forgot to mention our 15,000+ lakes despite very few in the driftless area.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
Not sure I understand the beer argument, but you forgot to mention our 15,000+ lakes despite very few in the driftless area.
Wow.... you don't know how to take a compliment, do you? The 15,000 lakes thing was conjured. Wisconsin does not have more lakes than Minnesota. They counted everything from ponds to puddles in an effort to bolster the numbers. Sorry, not buying that one.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:34 AM

903 posts, read 664,395 times
I agree the Driftless area is gorgeous. But your MN northwoods is also lovely. Spent a lot of time up there and it has been years. We have been talking about going back for a visit in the next year or two.
For a year my husband lived in Grand Forks and I was in central WI. I drove up there a lot and really enjoyed the area around Detroit Lakes.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:06 AM

747 posts, read 838,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Wow.... you don't know how to take a compliment, do you? The 15,000 lakes thing was conjured. Wisconsin does not have more lakes than Minnesota.They counted everything from ponds to puddles in an effort to bolster the numbers. Sorry, not buying that one.
Who said anything about Wisconsin having more lakes? You need to try to comprehend what you are reading.

If Minnesota used the same criteria for defining a lake as Wisconsin, Minnesota could claim to have way more than 20,000 lakes. If Wisconsin used Minnesota’s criteria, Wisconsin would have only about 6,000 lakes.

Either way you swing it, they are both beautiful states.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Who said anything about Wisconsin having more lakes? You need to try to comprehend what you are reading.

If Minnesota used the same criteria for defining a lake as Wisconsin, Minnesota could claim to have way more than 20,000 lakes. If Wisconsin used Minnesota’s criteria, Wisconsin would have only about 6,000 lakes.

Either way you swing it, they are both beautiful states.
Ok, agreed.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:41 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,785,882 times
What a nice compliment! My husband and I own land in Marinette County and agree with you about how beautiful it is.
And the Driftless Region... so incredibly pretty. I am always awestruck every time I visit.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:02 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
I'm on vacation next weekend, going to rural northern Vilas County by the UP of Michigan. I dislike the touristy areas such as Woodruff and Eagle River. Minnesota has a better overall economy, but Wisconsin has better overall scenery IMO.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Minnesota has a better overall economy, but Wisconsin has better overall scenery IMO.
That pretty much sums it up from my angle also.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:34 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Quote:
There is the Mississippi river in the driftless area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin